Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Philip Webb

Default changed motherboard, no AHCI

My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
I've now successfully installed a new one,
but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").

The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
which was necessary for the old mobo,
but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.
The Ubuntu + Mandriva partitions start properly, as does System Rescue,
so the problem has to be in the Gentoo kernel configuration.

(1) Can I simply drop AHCI from the kernel or do I need to do something else ?
(2) Can I recompile the kernel without going thro' a partial re-install
or do I need to do a change-root etc to get it to work ?

Can anyone advise ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:
> My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
> I've now successfully installed a new one,
> but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").
>
> The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
> which was necessary for the old mobo,
> but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.
> The Ubuntu + Mandriva partitions start properly, as does System Rescue,
> so the problem has to be in the Gentoo kernel configuration.
>
> (1) Can I simply drop AHCI from the kernel or do I need to do something else ?
> (2) Can I recompile the kernel without going thro' a partial re-install
> or do I need to do a change-root etc to get it to work ?
>
> Can anyone advise ?

If you need to rebuild the kernel, try this. Boot into you other
distro, Mandrive or Ubuntu should work fine. You just need the chroot
command. Mount the Gentoo partitions just like you would during the
install. Just mount them tho, NO file system or disk formatting stuff.
;-) Once mounted, just follow the chroot instructions just like in the
install. These are the current ones:

cd /
mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update && source /etc/profile

Once you are in there, cd to /usr/src/linux and make the needed changes,
recompile, copy the new kernel over, edit grub.conf if needed and then
reverse things so you can reboot. Don't forget to run env-update just
before exiting. Also, I sometimes have trouble unmounting some
partitions. Just unmount all you can before you reboot. I usually
can't get the dev and root ones unmounted. It appears that something
gets busy and can't be stopped. Your mileage may vary tho.

You should be able to reboot Gentoo and hopefully the new kernel will
work. Also, check into options you can add to the grub line when
booting. Remember, you can edit grub and change the boot process. I'm
assuming you are using grub instead of lilo.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 20. April 2012, 05:25:58 schrieb Philip Webb:
> My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
> I've now successfully installed a new one,
> but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").
>
> The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
> which was necessary for the old mobo,
> but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.

seriously? or did you just look at the wrong place. Because AHCI is a must
have. Not a maybe or could be there.

If your mobo i does have vista/win7 certification, it does support AHCI. Or is
so horribly broken you should RMA ASAP.

--
#163933

Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 PM
"Michael Scherer"

which motherboard did you buy? it might be interesting to search
for other users' experiences.

michael

--
Michael Scherer
Univ.klinik f. Psychiatrie

Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Dale

Michael Scherer wrote:
> which motherboard did you buy? it might be interesting to search
> for other users' experiences.
>
> michael

I didn't think about it earlier but this site may help the OP:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

You can post the results of lspci or just use the list on the left. I
used this when I was selecting my mobo a good while back.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 AM
Philip Webb

120420 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Freitag, 20. April 2012, 05:25:58 schrieb Philip Webb:
>> My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
>> I've now successfully installed a new one,
>> but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").
>>
>> The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
>> which was necessary for the old mobo,
>> but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.
> did you just look at the wrong place,
> because AHCI is a must-have, not a maybe or could be there.
> If your mobo has vista/win7 certification, it does support AHCI.
> Or is so horribly broken you should RMA ASAP.

It's an Asus P5G41T-M LX & the manual says :
"This motherboard supports Windows Vista/XP/7 OS".

The previous mobo (Asus P5K-VM) has a menu
Main -> IDE Configuration -> Configure SATA as [IDE]
with an option 'AHCI', which was enabled & the kernel booted properly;
its manual says "If you want to use the SATA drives as parallel ATA
physical storage, keep the default setting [IDE]",
but that caused the same problem that the kernel couldn't find the drive;
when I configured it as [AHCI], everything worked (since 2007).

The new manual has a menu
Main -> Storage Configuration -> ATA/IDE configuration [Enhanced]
which corresponds to a menu 'SATA configuration' in the old manual
& [Enhanced] opens another item 'Enhanced mode support on S-ATA',
which allows you to set Serial/Parallel/Both for ATA.

Since Ubuntu, Mandriva & System Rescue boot without any problem
& SR does find my LVM partitions & can mount them properly,
there must be settings which allow the kernel to find the HD with this mobo.
I will look them up & compare them all later today,
but any further advice is very welcome. Thanks so far.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 AM
pk

On 2012-04-21 04:12, Philip Webb wrote:

> It's an Asus P5G41T-M LX & the manual says :

Hm... the chipset on that mobo is G41 (released in 2008) and it combines
with ICH7 which unfortunately doesn't seem to support AHCI. Sorry...

Best regards

Peter K

Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Philip Webb

120421 pk wrote:
> On 2012-04-21 04:12, Philip Webb wrote:
>> It's an Asus P5G41T-M LX & the manual says :
> the chipset on that mobo is G41 (released in 2008) and it combines
> with ICH7 which unfortunately doesn't seem to support AHCI.

That's important to hear, but it can't be a show-stopper,
as the 3 other Linux distro's I've mentioned have no problem.
I tried compiling AHCI as [M], which is what Mandriva + Ubuntu do,
but it makes no difference. There must be some other setting
their kernels use to identify the drive, which mine doesn't have set.
Can anyone suggest what other settings to try ?
I've looked at their kernel .config files, but nothing jumps out.

At least, I've managed to compile + install a kernel
in a chroot using System Rescue, which I hadn't done before !

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Graham Murray

pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> writes:

> On 2012-04-21 04:12, Philip Webb wrote:
>
>> It's an Asus P5G41T-M LX & the manual says :
>
> Hm... the chipset on that mobo is G41 (released in 2008) and it combines
> with ICH7 which unfortunately doesn't seem to support AHCI. Sorry...

If it is an ICH which does not support AHCI, then try the option for
"Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA Support" which generates the
PIIX driver.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 04/21/2012 10:02:26 AM, Philip Webb wrote:

120421 pk wrote:
> On 2012-04-21 04:12, Philip Webb wrote:
>> It's an Asus P5G41T-M LX & the manual says :
> the chipset on that mobo is G41 (released in 2008) and it combines
> with ICH7 which unfortunately doesn't seem to support AHCI.

That's important to hear, but it can't be a show-stopper,
as the 3 other Linux distro's I've mentioned have no problem.
I tried compiling AHCI as [M], which is what Mandriva + Ubuntu do,
but it makes no difference. There must be some other setting
their kernels use to identify the drive, which mine doesn't have set.
Can anyone suggest what other settings to try ?
I've looked at their kernel .config files, but nothing jumps out.

At least, I've managed to compile + install a kernel
in a chroot using System Rescue, which I hadn't done before !

Boot your system e.g. with SystemRescueCD

then do lspci -k

this shows you which module is in use.
Then build your own kernel with this module.

Helmut.