Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default SOLVED: I switched to the Nvidia video driver

A couple of booby-traps for the unwarey...

1) There seemes to be a colour translation bug in recent versions of
Flash that only shows with the Nvidia video drivers. Red and blue are
swapped in Flash. If you see people with blue faces, and you're not
watching Avatar, you've hit this bug. The solution is to edit
/etc/adobe/mms.cfg Append the line...

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1

This will work with most Nvidia cards. If that doesn't work, try making
it two lines, namely...

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
OverrideGPUValidation=true

Note that Flash is quite fragile with these two lines, and the plugin
crashes a lot.

2) Nvidia drivers do not like the mplayer "xv" video output option at
all. It hangs my machine, requiring Magic-Sysrq to shut down
semi-gracefully. Don't use that option with Nvidia drivers.

So my Dell Inspiron D530 desktop, which is pushing 5 years, paired
with a $40 Asus EN210 SILENT/DI/512MD3/V2(LP) NVIDIA GeForce 210 Chipset
(589Mhz) 512MB (1333Mhz) GDDR3 DVI/VGA/HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics
Card gets over 5300 fps in glxgears. In real life, it plays 1080p
Youtube HD videos fullscreen (1920x1080) without stuttering. I do have
to let it buffer for several seconds first, because my 6 megabit ADSL
connection nets 4.98 megabits, and it can't quite keep up with the
required download speed.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

A couple of booby-traps for the unwarey...

1) There seemes to be a colour translation bug in recent versions of
Flash that only shows with the Nvidia video drivers. Red and blue are
swapped in Flash. If you see people with blue faces, and you're not
watching Avatar, you've hit this bug. The solution is to edit
/etc/adobe/mms.cfg Append the line...

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1

This will work with most Nvidia cards. If that doesn't work, try making
it two lines, namely...

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
OverrideGPUValidation=true

Note that Flash is quite fragile with these two lines, and the plugin
crashes a lot.

A crash-free solution is to leave mms.cfg as-is and instead right click
in a flash window, select "Settings" and uncheck the hardware
acceleration checkbox. You probably need to restart the browser after that.

2) Nvidia drivers do not like the mplayer "xv" video output option at
all. It hangs my machine, requiring Magic-Sysrq to shut down
semi-gracefully. Don't use that option with Nvidia drivers.

Hmm. Xv is the most stable option for most users.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Dale

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> Hmm. Xv is the most stable option for most users.

I had the same issues with xv set in smplayer. It would work but it
caused issues for me. It would pause a lot and the sound would be way
off but all works fine when I switched to "gl (fast)". Since my DSL is
a slower speed, I download the videos then play them from the hard
drive. Sometimes I wish we had cable out here. My DSL is 768K/sec. I
think the fastest here is 3Mbs/sec.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:09:37AM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote
> On 20/04/12 09:39, Walter Dnes wrote:

> > 2) Nvidia drivers do not like the mplayer "xv" video output option at
> > all. It hangs my machine, requiring Magic-Sysrq to shut down
> > semi-gracefully. Don't use that option with Nvidia drivers.
>
> Hmm. Xv is the most stable option for most users.

Before getting the Nvidia card+driver, xv was the only one that
worked half-decently for me. This seems to be Nvidia-specific and maybe
specific only to the closed source Nvidia driver. I don't know about the
Nouveau driver, because I never could get Nouveau working to test it.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Alecks Gates

Finally able to test out the fix and I can confirm just appending
"EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1" to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg worked for me.

Here's my card (Zotac brand):
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

On an ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3

Also, I just use VDPAU in mplayer and VA-API with the VDPAU backend in
VLC. Works great.