Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Jarry

Default Problem with RAID1

On 19-Apr-12 20:20, Mike Diehl wrote:

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md1 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
112320 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md3 : active raid1 sdb3[2](F) sda3[0]
308255104 blocks [2/1] [U_]

My question is, "which one?" Usually I get a [UU] on a good RAID, and an _
for the failed drive. That would indicate that sda3 has failed. However,
sdb3 is marked with an (F), which I've never seen before.

It means you just ran out of luck. As software-raid howto says:
"...if you have a failure, the failed device will be marked with (F)..."

But before you start changing drives, I'd try rebuilding md3
again from scratch. Linux software-raid is very sensitive to
various "out-of-sync" conditions, i.e. when one drive starts
realocating weak sector, or gets switched to some energy saving
mode. This problem is quite common for "non-raid" drives...

Jarry

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Michael Orlitzky

On 04/19/12 14:20, Mike Diehl wrote:

> My question is, "which one?" Usually I get a [UU] on a good RAID, and an _
> for the failed drive. That would indicate that sda3 has failed. However,
> sdb3 is marked with an (F), which I've never seen before.
>
> Which drive should I replace?

You can use smartctl to pull the S/N off the drive.

backup2 ~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
smartctl 5.42 2011-10-20 r3458 [x86_64-linux-3.2.2-hardened-r1]
(local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen,
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Western Digital Caviar Blue Serial ATA
Device Model: WDC WD2500AAKS-61L9A0
Serial Number: WD-WMAV2JE70517

> Also, why did I get an I/O error? Shouldn't my RAID have just failed over
> silently?

Short answer: lots of things can go wrong. It might be as simple as
removing the failing drive from the array. But it doesn't matter, back
up the un-failed disk right now if there's anything important on it.
*Then* play around to get the array working again.