FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
"Walter Dnes"
 
Default Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 06:49:59PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote

> Presumably this all works perfectly with the closed source driver?

I think something got lost in the translation. This is the Nvidia
closed source driver giving me the problems...

Closed Source != Open Source
Proprietary != Open Source
Proprietary == Closed source

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
 
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 PM
"Walter Dnes"
 
Default Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:47:01PM -0400, Alecks Gates wrote
> Wait a second, was just scimming this and saw you mention blue faces. I
> have a 210 using the latest binary drivers from nvidia and it seems like
> all red color shows up as blue in the flash player (and only flash
> player). It had never happened any time previously, and this was a new
> install.
>
> Frankly I have no idea how to fix it, but I mostly ignored it until now
> because of html5 videos (where the problem doesn't occur).

Once I realized that this was a general problem, not a Walter Dnes
problem, I did some Google research. A few of the hits were

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176210

Patching source code... bleagh.


https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/974620

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/adobe-flashplugin/+bug/967091/comments/9

The last one almost worked for me. Adding 2 lines to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
was suggested, namely...

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
OverrideGPUValidation=true

This works, and colours are correct, but the Flash plugin crashes a
lot. The best setup for me is to only add the line...

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1

Youtube 1080P HD videos play fullscreen in proper colour. The best
setting may vary from machine to machine.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
 
Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
"Walter Dnes"
 
Default Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:06:59PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote

> revdep-rebuild # mplayer locking up the entire system is unusual, to
> say the least.

I set vdpau USE flag and tested "emerge -pv --deep --newuse mplayer".
Turns out that x11-libs/libdrm and media-libs/mesa still had nouveau
code... dohhhh. Rebuilding libdrm+mesa+mplayer as I speak... err type.
See my other message for the 1-line change to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg that
fixed the colour issue.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
 
Old 04-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 06:49:59PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote
>
>> Presumably this all works perfectly with the closed source driver?
>
> *I think something got lost in the translation. *This is the Nvidia
> closed source driver giving me the problems...
>
> *Closed Source != Open Source
> *Proprietary * != Open Source
> *Proprietary * == Closed source
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
>

Well then, I guess I must be confused because your initial post in
this thread seemed to me to be about the Open Source driver:

Quote:

I started a thread a while ago about looking for an accelerated video
card. I went and got an ASUS EN210 Silent PCIe card and followed the
instructions at the Gentoo Nouveau wiki. I have not been able to get X
running yet. Trying to launch X with startx blanks the screen, and I
can't get it back. Note that the machine does *NOT* lock up, rather the
video gets disabled until I reboot. I can ssh into the machine. It
appears to be working fine. If I...

* start a root text console in TTY8
* switch to TTY9
* startx

The screen goes blank and I can't get graphics or GUI, no matter what
I do. I can ssh in from another machine and things look OK. As a
matter of fact, I can {CTRL-ALT-F8} and blindly issue the command
"reboot" or "halt -p", and it gets executed. The attached Xorg.log file
shows nothing wrong. "Xorg -configure" does generate an xorg.conf.new
file, but screams about...

================================================== ==================
(EE) [drm] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
Configuration failed.
Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
================================================== ==================

The Gentoo Nouveau wiki says that message comes either from disabling
DRI (which I didn't do) or from the wrong opengl. I only have the xorg
version. Any ideas? Do the proprietary Nvidia drivers work with kernel
3.2.12? I'm running with mdev instead of udev. Would that make a
difference?
Anyway, I run the closed source driver on 5 machines here. They all
work fine. None of my NVidia cards are 210-based.

Sorry for the noise,
Mark
 
Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Per-Erik Westerberg
 
Default Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X

tor 2012-04-19 klockan 08:23 -0400 skrev Walter Dnes:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:47:01PM -0400, Alecks Gates wrote
> > Wait a second, was just scimming this and saw you mention blue faces. I
> > have a 210 using the latest binary drivers from nvidia and it seems like
> > all red color shows up as blue in the flash player (and only flash
> > player). It had never happened any time previously, and this was a new
> > install.
> >
> > Frankly I have no idea how to fix it, but I mostly ignored it until now
> > because of html5 videos (where the problem doesn't occur).
>
> Once I realized that this was a general problem, not a Walter Dnes
> problem, I did some Google research. A few of the hits were
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176210
>
> Patching source code... bleagh.
>
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/974620
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/adobe-flashplugin/+bug/967091/comments/9
>
> The last one almost worked for me. Adding 2 lines to /etc/adobe/mms.cfg
> was suggested, namely...
>
> EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
> OverrideGPUValidation=true
>
> This works, and colours are correct, but the Flash plugin crashes a
> lot. The best setup for me is to only add the line...
>
> EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
>
> Youtube 1080P HD videos play fullscreen in proper colour. The best
> setting may vary from machine to machine.
>

Hi,

Downgrading to 11.1.102.63 of www-plugins/adobe-flash took care of the
problem for me.

BR / Per-Erik
 
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 AM
"Walter Dnes"
 
Default Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:06:59PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote

> revdep-rebuild # mplayer locking up the entire system is unusual, to
> say the least.
>
> The nvidia-drivers build should have screamed bloody murder if you had
> any incompatible kernel options set (or required ones missing).

I think the problem is that I specified "xv" for video output in
~/.mplayer/config and the Nvidia drivers do not like xv at all. I
deleted ~/.mplayer/config and mplayer works. I'm looking carefully at
all the USE options for mplayer, and checking them for any more possible
problems.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
 
Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Dale
 
Default Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X

Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:06:59PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
>
>> revdep-rebuild # mplayer locking up the entire system is unusual, to
>> say the least.
>>
>> The nvidia-drivers build should have screamed bloody murder if you had
>> any incompatible kernel options set (or required ones missing).
>
> I think the problem is that I specified "xv" for video output in
> ~/.mplayer/config and the Nvidia drivers do not like xv at all. I
> deleted ~/.mplayer/config and mplayer works. I'm looking carefully at
> all the USE options for mplayer, and checking them for any more possible
> problems.
>


I played with these settings on mine and the one that worked best for me
was gl. I use smplayer, a front end for mplayer, and I selected the "gl
(fast)" setting. It has several settings and that one seemed to work
without any pauses or anything else.

There are several gl settings tho. One for ATI cards and a couple other
generic ones.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org