Old 04-19-2012, 07:06 AM
wenpin cui

Default how to let different make version coexist?

hi, guys,

On my linux box, after deep-upgrade, the version of 'sys-devel/make'
was 3.82.

Now I want to use version 3.81 to compile a software, i can do it by
"emerge /usr/portage/sys-devel/make/make-3.81.ebuild"

however, after next upgrade, the version became 3.82 again.

I am wondering if i could select the different version by eslect or
something else, just like 'update-alternatives' in debian.

Any idea, thanks a lot.

--
Best regards

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:06:15 +0800
wenpin cui <wenpin.cui@samsung.com> wrote:

> hi, guys,
>
> On my linux box, after deep-upgrade, the version of
> 'sys-devel/make' was 3.82.
>
> Now I want to use version 3.81 to compile a software, i can do it
> by "emerge /usr/portage/sys-devel/make/make-3.81.ebuild"
>
> however, after next upgrade, the version became 3.82 again.
>
> I am wondering if i could select the different version by eslect
> or something else, just like 'update-alternatives' in debian.
>
> Any idea, thanks a lot.

portage only supports one version of make at a time.

To have two versions of make, you must install the second one yourself
from source into a convenient place like /usr/local, and manage it
yourself.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
wenpin cui

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 09:46:27AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:06:15 +0800
> wenpin cui <wenpin.cui@samsung.com> wrote:
>
> > hi, guys,
> >
> > On my linux box, after deep-upgrade, the version of
> > 'sys-devel/make' was 3.82.
> >
> > Now I want to use version 3.81 to compile a software, i can do it
> > by "emerge /usr/portage/sys-devel/make/make-3.81.ebuild"
> >
> > however, after next upgrade, the version became 3.82 again.
> >
> > I am wondering if i could select the different version by eslect
> > or something else, just like 'update-alternatives' in debian.
> >
> > Any idea, thanks a lot.
> >

> portage only supports one version of make at a time.
>
> To have two versions of make, you must install the second one yourself
> from source into a convenient place like /usr/local, and manage it
> yourself.
>
> --
> Alan McKinnnon
> alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Thanks, seems i have to lock my make's version.

--

Best regards
Wenpin Cui (崔文频)

Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Claudio Roberto Frana Pereira

You can always mask greater versions, and then portage won't merge
then. Just hope that nothing from now on depends on the new version.