Old 04-07-2008, 04:52 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default Old machine update - libexpat upgrade instructions?

Hi,
I was updating an old machine overnight that stopped with some
messages inside of a mythtv emerge with issues about qt and libexpat.
I vaguely remember we all had problems with libexpat upgrades a year
ago so I've been searching around for the Gentoo update instructions
but I'm not finding them. Anyone know the right search terms?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"

* I was updating an old machine overnight that stopped with some

messages inside of a mythtv emerge with issues about qt and libexpat.

I vaguely remember we all had problems with libexpat upgrades a year

ago so I've been searching around for the Gentoo update instructions

but I'm not finding them. Anyone know the right search terms?
Expat upgrades for versions greater than 2.0 will make some dependencies break. revdep-rebuild usually solves it with no problems.

--
Ricardo Saffi Marques
Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)

Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Ricardo Saffi Marques
<saffi@las.ic.unicamp.br> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I was updating an old machine overnight that stopped with some
> > messages inside of a mythtv emerge with issues about qt and libexpat.
> > I vaguely remember we all had problems with libexpat upgrades a year
> > ago so I've been searching around for the Gentoo update instructions
> > but I'm not finding them. Anyone know the right search terms?
>
> Expat upgrades for versions greater than 2.0 will make some dependencies
> break. revdep-rebuild usually solves it with no problems.
> --
> Ricardo Saffi Marques
> Laboratório de Administração e Segurança de Sistemas (LAS/IC)
> Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
> Cell: +55 (19) 8128-0435
> Skype: ricardo_saffi_marques
> Website: http://www.rsaffi.com

Ah. Maybe that's all it is then. I do have 2.0.1 installed nowwhich is
probably an upgrade itself.

Am I correct that revdep-rebuild -p --library=libexpat.so.0 will take
care of finding all the right stuff?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
"Henry Gebhardt"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I correct that revdep-rebuild -p --library=libexpat.so.0 will take
> care of finding all the right stuff?

Even better yet, a plain

revdep-rebuild -p

will also find other breakages, not only those related to expat. My
update procedure has looked like this for a couple years now (found it
in the forums way back), and I didn't really notice that expat problem
back whenever :-) :

eix-sync
emerge -vDuN world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild -v
etc-update

~Henry

Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Henry Gebhardt
<hsggebhardt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am I correct that revdep-rebuild -p --library=libexpat.so.0 will take
> > care of finding all the right stuff?
>
> Even better yet, a plain
>
> revdep-rebuild -p
>
> will also find other breakages, not only those related to expat. My
> update procedure has looked like this for a couple years now (found it
> in the forums way back), and I didn't really notice that expat problem
> back whenever :-) :
>
> eix-sync
> emerge -vDuN world
> emerge --depclean
> revdep-rebuild -v
> etc-update

Pretty much the same here but this is old hardware and a complete
emerge -DuN world would break the machine so until I carefully put
some package masking in place I don't want to do that.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 PM
"b.n."

Mark Knecht ha scritto:

Pretty much the same here but this is old hardware and a complete
emerge -DuN world would break the machine

Why? I'm curious about that.

m.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:54 AM, b.n. <brullonulla@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht ha scritto:
>

> > Pretty much the same here but this is old hardware and a complete
> > emerge -DuN world would break the machine
> >

> Why? I'm curious about that.
>

> m.

The folks who maintain the portage servers will at times remove old
versions of programs, for instance the ati-drivers package. In that
past I did a blind update and got a new ati-drivers package but
unfortunately it didn't support the ATI 9100 IGP chipset and the
machine broke.

Hope this explains my comment.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 10 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> The folks who maintain the portage servers will at times remove old
> versions of programs, for instance the ati-drivers package. In that
> past I did a blind update and got a new ati-drivers package but
> unfortunately it didn't support the ATI 9100 IGP chipset and the
> machine broke.
>
> Hope this explains my comment.

Portage to the rescue!! :-)

Well, eix actually. It comes with a script - eix-test-obsolete - that
scans your portage config files looking for inconsistencies and
redundancies, then splits huge amounts of output to the console. One of
the things it does is find installed ebuilds that are no longer in the
tree.

This fixes your bind, as you can get copies of those missing ebuilds
from /var/db/pkg/<category>/<app>/*ebuild and copy them to a local
private overlay where they will stay for posterity

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-11-2008, 05:04 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > The folks who maintain the portage servers will at times remove old
> > versions of programs, for instance the ati-drivers package. In that
> > past I did a blind update and got a new ati-drivers package but
> > unfortunately it didn't support the ATI 9100 IGP chipset and the
> > machine broke.
> >
> > Hope this explains my comment.
>
> Portage to the rescue!! :-)
>
> Well, eix actually. It comes with a script - eix-test-obsolete - that
> scans your portage config files looking for inconsistencies and
> redundancies, then splits huge amounts of output to the console. One of
> the things it does is find installed ebuilds that are no longer in the
> tree.
>
> This fixes your bind, as you can get copies of those missing ebuilds
> from /var/db/pkg/<category>/<app>/*ebuild and copy them to a local
> private overlay where they will stay for posterity
>
> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Alan,
Thanks. The command is enlightening and is helping me clean things up a bit.

Now, if I knew anything at all about creating and maintaining my
own overlay I'd be really dangerous. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 11 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> * *Now, if I knew anything at all about creating and maintaining my
> own overlay I'd be really dangerous. ;-)

It's easy and very useful. There's even an article on the wiki somewhere
that tells you how to do it. In summary:

- create a parent directory for the overlay, something
like /usr/portage/local/mark
- put your ebuilds in there, using the same <category>/<app> structure
as the main tree
- run 'ebuild /path/to/overlay/ebuild manifest' to create proper
manifest files
- edit an entry in /etc/make.conf to tell portage to use your overlay