Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Vaeth

Default CORRECTION - Problem with eix-REMOTE update...

I haven't searched layman for packages in a long time (actually had to
google how to do it), and am getting an error I can't seem to solve...

Unfortunately, you have not written the actual error
which should appear probably a few (probably one) lines before:

problems arised with cachefile _var_lib_layman_zugaina.eix
* Calling eix-update...
* could not read all eix cachefiles of
/tmp/eix-remote.dhR5mKNK/eix-caches.tbz2

Maybe this error speaks about differing versions?

Conversely, if the downloaded versions are even newer than that
supported by your eix, you will have to upgrade to the most current ~x86
version of eix to use eix-remote: This inconvenience cannot be avoided
and is not a bug!

So if it is the differing versions problem, the solution is to
upgrade to the most recent (~x86) version of eix, currently eix-0.25.3:
echo app-portage/eix >>/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords && emerge eix

Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Tanstaafl

So if it is the differing versions problem, the solution is to
upgrade to the most recent (~x86) version of eix, currently eix-0.25.3:
echo app-portage/eix >>/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords && emerge eix

Is this safe to do while remaining on the stable version of portage?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Tanstaafl

I haven't searched layman for packages in a long time (actually had to
google how to do it), and am getting an error I can't seem to solve...

Unfortunately, you have not written the actual error
which should appear probably a few (probably one) lines before:

Nope...

After running eix-remote update, it downloads the file, then the very
next lines are:

* Unpacking data
/tmp/eix-remote.m6Ri2tl1/1/_var_lib_layman_a3li.eix was created with an
incompatible eix-update:

It uses database format 101 (current is 28).
Please run 'eix-update' and try again.

Followed by similar lines with different cache file names for however
many hundred or so files there are...

Then the last error is as I said:

Writing database file /var/cache/eix ..
Database contains 16219 packages in 155 categories.
* could not read all eix cachefiles of
/tmp/eix-remote.zv5peao3/eix-caches.tbz2

Probably your eix cachefile was *not* updated successfully.
Unless the above messages suggest another cause or you specified a
wrong filename, the most likely cause of this is that the server uses
another eix version than you or produced broken data. Please inspect
/tmp/eix-remote.zv5peao3/eix-caches.tbz2
whether this is a valid *.tar.bz2 archive containing eix cachefiles
(if it has already been deleted, download it using fetch).
If this is not the case (but was freshly downloaded), please report a
bug. Note that the archive is *not* broken if only the cachefile format
versions differ: In that case only report a bug if the eix cachefile
format versions in the downloaded file are *older* than that of the most
current ~x86 eix version in the portage tree (but first retry after
several days before reporting such a bug to give the server maintainers
a chance to upgrade after a version bump of eix).
Conversely, if the downloaded versions are even newer than that
supported by your eix, you will have to upgrade to the most current ~x86
version of eix to use eix-remote: This inconvenience cannot be avoided
and is not a bug!

problems arised with cachefile _var_lib_layman_zugaina.eix
* Calling eix-update...
* could not read all eix cachefiles of
/tmp/eix-remote.dhR5mKNK/eix-caches.tbz2

Maybe this error speaks about differing versions?

Apparently it does, but *how* did this happen??

Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Tanstaafl

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen

Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Tanstaafl

On 2012-04-18 7:08 AM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
So if it is the differing versions problem, the solution is to
upgrade to the most recent (~x86) version of eix, currently
eix-0.25.3: echo app-portage/eix

/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords&& emerge eix

Is this safe to do while remaining on the stable version of
portage?

Anyone?

eix-0.25.3 works great for me (incl. eix-remote) - if that's what
you're asking..

No... I thought my question was very precise:

Is updating eix to an UNSTABLE version ok to do while leaving portage at
the STABLE version?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Alex Schuster

Tanstaafl writes:

> On 2012-04-17 12:21 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> > On 2012-04-17 1:41 AM, Vaeth <vaeth@mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
> > wrote:
> >> So if it is the differing versions problem, the solution is to
> >> upgrade to the most recent (~x86) version of eix, currently
> >> eix-0.25.3: echo app-portage/eix
> >
> > Is this safe to do while remaining on the stable version of portage?
>
> Anyone?

I'm really pretty sure this is safe. I I don't know why it shouldn't.

Wonko