Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Grant

Default IMAP authentication not secure?

> > I've been using claws-mail with my IMAP server. I'm giving
> > thunderbird a try but it won't work if I have "Use secure
> > authentication" checked under "Server Settings". I thought I had
> > configured the server to use secure authentication only. Here is
> > some of my /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>
> That's the *mail*server* config
>
> You need to supply the *imap*server* config

Would it be /etc/courier-imap/imapd or /etc/courier-imap/imapd-ssl?
Any idea what the config option is?

- Grant

Old 04-07-2008, 05:03 PM
kashani

Grant wrote:

I've been using claws-mail with my IMAP server. I'm giving
thunderbird a try but it won't work if I have "Use secure
authentication" checked under "Server Settings".

The secure auth button refers to NTLM which is also called Secure
Password Authentication (SPA) or Windows Integrated Login. You don't
need it and your imap server won't support it without jumping through
some hoops. As long as you're using imap over SSL there is no reason for
it.

kashani

Old 04-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 07 April 2008, Grant wrote:
> > *You need to supply the *imap*server* config
>
> Would it be /etc/courier-imap/imapd or /etc/courier-imap/imapd-ssl?
> Any idea what the config option is?

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with courier to assist.

Plenty other people around here do know though so someone ought to be
along shortly with real advice

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Grant

> > I've been using claws-mail with my IMAP server. I'm giving
> > thunderbird a try but it won't work if I have "Use secure
> > authentication" checked under "Server Settings".
> >

> The secure auth button refers to NTLM which is also called Secure Password
> Authentication (SPA) or Windows Integrated Login. You don't need it and your
> imap server won't support it without jumping through some hoops. As long as
> you're using imap over SSL there is no reason for it.
>
> kashani

Thanks Kashani and Alan. I thought I had a good setup.

- Grant

Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 15:35 -0700, Grant wrote:
> > > I've been using claws-mail with my IMAP server. I'm giving
> > > thunderbird a try but it won't work if I have "Use secure
> > > authentication" checked under "Server Settings".
> > >

> > The secure auth button refers to NTLM which is also called Secure Password
> > Authentication (SPA) or Windows Integrated Login. You don't need it and your
> > imap server won't support it without jumping through some hoops. As long as
> > you're using imap over SSL there is no reason for it.
> >
> > kashani
>
> Thanks Kashani and Alan. I thought I had a good setup.

to be sure, just packet sniff it

That feeling just came over me.
-- Albert DeSalvo, the "Boston Strangler"