Old 04-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Keith Dart

Default genkernel, mounting /usr and dmraid

Dear Gentoo Users,

I've got the situation where I need to pre-mount /usr. I was already
using dmraid and genkernel to make in initramfs so that's not a real
big deal. However, I now get the following in the console when booting:

-------------
/lib/udev/write_root_link_rule: line 17: udevadm: command not
found /etc/init.d/udev: line 74: udevadm: command not
found /etc/init.d/udev: line 74: udevadm: command not
found
* Starting
udev ... /lib/udev/udevd: error while loading shared libraries:
libkmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
* start-stop-daemon: failed to start
`/lib/udev/udevd'
* Failed to start
udev [ !!
]
* ERROR: udev failed to start
--------------

Yet after it boots up completely the udevd seems to be running fine. I
suspect this comes from some init scripts from the initrd.

The udev elog also has this:

-------
│If you build an initramfs including udev, then
please
│ │make sure that the /usr/bin/udevadm binary gets
included,
-------

Which I guess is the problem. But my question is how to get the udevadm
binary included in the initramfs? I can't find any docs anywhere that
explain how to do that.

-- Keith

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>

Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz> wrote:
> Dear Gentoo Users,
>
> I've got the situation where I need to pre-mount /usr. I was already
> using dmraid and genkernel to make in initramfs so that's not a real
> big deal. However, I now get the following in the console when booting:
>
> -------------
> /lib/udev/write_root_link_rule: line 17: udevadm: command not
> found /etc/init.d/udev: line 74: udevadm: command not
> found /etc/init.d/udev: line 74: udevadm: command not
> found
> ** Starting
> udev ... /lib/udev/udevd: error while loading shared libraries:
> libkmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> ** start-stop-daemon: failed to start
> `/lib/udev/udevd'
> ** Failed to start
> udev [ !!
> ]
> ** ERROR: udev failed to start
> --------------
>
> Yet after it boots up completely the udevd seems to be running fine. I
> suspect this comes from some init scripts from the initrd.
>
> The udev elog also has this:
>
> -------
> │If you build an initramfs including udev, then
> please
> │ │make sure that the /usr/bin/udevadm binary gets
> included,
> -------
>
> Which I guess is the problem. But my question is how to get the udevadm
> binary included in the initramfs? I can't find any docs anywhere that
> explain how to do that.

I don't use genkernel, but have you tried dracut? Just add dmraid to
MODULES_DRACUT, and try to generate an initramfs with dracut -H.
dracut takes care of everything udev related. If it doesn't work, at
least is not much effort.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingenier*a de la Computación

Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Keith Dart

Re
20120414162015.6983b502@dartworks.biz2012041416201 5.6983b502@dartworks.biz,
Canek Pelez Valds said:
> I don't use genkernel, but have you tried dracut? Just add dmraid to
> MODULES_DRACUT, and try to generate an initramfs with dracut -H.
> dracut takes care of everything udev related. If it doesn't work, at
> least is not much effort.

Hm, maybe I'll try that. Do you know if it will work with the Gentoo
init and openrc?

Thanks,

-- Keith

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 04/15/2012 01:20 AM, Keith Dart wrote:
> Dear Gentoo Users,
>
> I've got the situation where I need to pre-mount /usr. I was already
> using dmraid and genkernel to make in initramfs so that's not a real
> big deal. However, I now get the following in the console when booting:
>
> -------------
> /lib/udev/write_root_link_rule: line 17: udevadm: command not
> found /etc/init.d/udev: line 74: udevadm: command not
> found /etc/init.d/udev: line 74: udevadm: command not
> found
> * Starting
> udev ... /lib/udev/udevd: error while loading shared libraries:
> libkmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> * start-stop-daemon: failed to start
> `/lib/udev/udevd'
> * Failed to start
> udev [ !!
> ]
> * ERROR: udev failed to start

It sounds like that error appears after the initramfs has done its work.
Have you run revdep-rebuild to make sure all your binaries are linked
to existing libraries?

> The udev elog also has this:
>
> -------
> │If you build an initramfs including udev, then
> please
> │ │make sure that the /usr/bin/udevadm binary gets
> included,
> -------

If I am not mistaken, genkernel creates an initramfs free of anythibg
udev. It makes use of mdev of busybox.

Best,

Sebastian