-   -   Gentoo AMD64, games freeze! (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/65587-gentoo-amd64-games-freeze.html)

Gyuszk 04-07-2008 02:56 PM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

Dear Gentoo users,

I have an amd64 gentoo. It runs up-to-date components. It is running
with stable ebuilds (except of some ebuilds like monodevelop).
I've emerged some games too, and thats my problem. Most of these games
just won't run.

Warsow, Wesnoth, Barrage runs without errors, but Openmortal, Chromium,
Liquid Wars just don't start. Here is the outputs.

Openmortal:

[16:50:01] ~ $ openmortal
The locale returned by the operating system is 'C'
The LANG envvar is 'hu_HU'
getlogin_r failed: 2
Name "main::p4f" used only once: possible typo at Backend.pl line 705.
[...]
Name "main::ActiveFighters" used only once: possible typo at Backend.pl
line 172.

CJoystick::Init(): Number of joysticks is 0
compiled with SDL_mixer version: 1.2.8
running with SDL_mixer version: 1.2.8
MAPPING: 'MENU_START' => 'ups.wav'
[...]
MAPPING: 'JACINT' => 'cow.wav'
Mix_LoadMUS: Unrecognized music format
PlayMusic: music DemoMusic not foundMix_LoadMUS: Unrecognized music format
Can't load file: /usr/share/games/openmortal/gfx/Mortal.jpg
Szegmens hiba **(this means segmentation fault in Hungarian)**
[16:51:50] ~ $

Liquid wars:

[16:51:50] ~ $ liquidwar
Starting Allegro (http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro) - success!
Allegro ID : Allegro 4.2.2, Unix
Installing timer (driver="Unix pthreads timers") - success!
Installing keyboard - failed...
Installing mouse (driver="Linux PS/2 mouse") - success!
Installing sound (digi="No sound", midi="No sound") - success!
Installing joystick (driver="No joystick") - success!
Setting up network - success!
Leaving Allegro (http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro)
An error occured during the init process.
Try "lw -silent" to disable sound management.
Try "lw -nojoy" to disable joystick control.
Try to delete the "/home/gyuszk/.liquidwarrc" file and restart Liquid War.
Liquid War by U-Foot
[...]
Thanks for trying to play, sorry about the trouble Liquid War is causing
you.

[16:52:36] ~ $

Chromium runs but after 2-3 seconds of playing exits.
I've ati-drivers installed and working properly (I'm using mplayer with
opengl multiple textures video output).

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7412 Release

Maybe I have to set some USE flags? Thanks in advance!

Iain Buchanan 04-07-2008 10:53 PM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:56 +0200, Gyuszk wrote:
> Dear Gentoo users,
>
> I have an amd64 gentoo. It runs up-to-date components. It is running
> with stable ebuilds (except of some ebuilds like monodevelop).
> I've emerged some games too, and thats my problem. Most of these games
> just won't run.
>
> Warsow, Wesnoth, Barrage runs without errors, but Openmortal, Chromium,
> Liquid Wars just don't start. Here is the outputs.

It's a long shot, but are you in the games group?

HTH,

The primary requisite for any new tax law is for it to exempt enough
voters to win the next election.

Gyuszk 04-08-2008 04:19 AM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

Iain Buchanan wrote:

I have an amd64 gentoo. It runs up-to-date components. It is running
with stable ebuilds (except of some ebuilds like monodevelop).
I've emerged some games too, and thats my problem. Most of these games
just won't run.

Warsow, Wesnoth, Barrage runs without errors, but Openmortal, Chromium,
Liquid Wars just don't start. Here is the outputs.

It's a long shot, but are you in the games group?

HTH,

Of course. Without being in games group, I just won't be able to run
emerged games.

"Mark Knecht" 04-08-2008 04:26 AM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Gyuszk <hangcsapda@gmail.com> wrote:
> Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:56 +0200, Gyuszk wrote:
> >

> > > Dear Gentoo users,
> > >
> > > I have an amd64 gentoo. It runs up-to-date components. It is running
> with stable ebuilds (except of some ebuilds like monodevelop).
> > > I've emerged some games too, and thats my problem. Most of these games
> just won't run.
> > >
> > > Warsow, Wesnoth, Barrage runs without errors, but Openmortal, Chromium,
> Liquid Wars just don't start. Here is the outputs.
> > >

> > It's a long shot, but are you in the games group?
> >
> > HTH,
> >

> Of course. Without being in games group, I just won't be able to run
> emerged games.

Those of us on the Gentoo-amd64 list welcome you to come join us.

- Mark

"Marzan, Richard non Unisys" 04-09-2008 05:42 PM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

Doesn't it seems strange that most users posts on the gentoo-user ml,
regardless of what other ml are available for their topic? I must say
that I am guilty of that too. Doesn't anyone post to gentoo
subcategorized ml anymore?

"Mark Knecht" 04-09-2008 07:49 PM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Marzan, Richard non Unisys
<Richard.Marzan@unisys.com> wrote:

> [...]

Well, I certainly post on the gentoo-amd64 list when my questions are
specific to my 64-bit machines. things like how to make Flash, java,
plugins, etc., work better on that platform are, to me, very
appropriate to that list.

I post here for more general conversations.

- Mark

"Abraham Gyorgy" 04-10-2008 09:02 AM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

Okay thanks guys, I'll write this post on the gentoo-amd64 list.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Marzan, Richard non Unisys

<Richard.Marzan@unisys.com> wrote:

*

*> Those of us on the Gentoo-amd64 list welcome you to come join us.

*>

*> - Mark

*> --

* *

* * *

*Doesn't it seems strange that most users posts on the gentoo-user ml,

*regardless of what other ml are available for their topic? I must say

*that I am guilty of that too. Doesn't anyone post to gentoo

*subcategorized ml anymore?

* *

Well, I certainly post on the gentoo-amd64 list when my questions are

specific to my 64-bit machines. things like how to make Flash, java,

plugins, etc., work better on that platform are, to me, very

appropriate to that list.

I post here for more general conversations.

- Mark

*

I think that this types of info should be mailed to gentoo-user. But when we post about incompatibility (something don't work as this should) then better to post to gentoo-amd64 list.

Volker Armin Hemmann 04-10-2008 09:56 AM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

On Montag, 7. April 2008, Gyuszk wrote:

> Maybe I have to set some USE flags? Thanks in advance!

more likely that some lib used by the games needs to rebuilt.

"Abraham Gyorgy" 04-11-2008 12:00 PM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

I use revdep-rebuild everytime I upgrade my system. (emerge --sync && emerge -uD world && revdep-rebuild && etc-update).
I think revdep-rebuild know what libs are broken.

Volker Armin Hemmann 04-11-2008 12:34 PM

Gentoo AMD64, games freeze!

On Freitag, 11. April 2008, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
> I use revdep-rebuild everytime I upgrade my system. (emerge --sync &&
> emerge -uD world && revdep-rebuild && etc-update).
> I think revdep-rebuild know what libs are broken.

revdep rebuild does not see all brokeness.

ldd the games and rebuilt all libs that are loaded.