-   -   USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/655793-usb-sticks-now-mounting-run-media-instead-media.html)

walt 04-14-2012 12:19 AM

USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

Maybe I overlooked some gentoo emerge warning? A recent update
(udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
on /run/media instead of /media.

Perhaps motivated by the recent lvm2 error messages during boot?
Anyone know for sure?

Benny Gaechter 04-15-2012 10:44 PM

USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

I have got an ~amd64 machine, too. My USB Stick still mounts in /media.
Probably you changed some configuration?

Claudio Roberto França Pereira 04-18-2012 05:04 PM

USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

How do you mount them automatically? Isn't there a middle-man software
that mounts removable drives? I'm pretty sure I never had a drive
automount without kde or gnome managing them.

walt 04-18-2012 06:50 PM

On 04/18/2012 10:04 AM, Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:
> How do you mount them automatically? Isn't there a middle-man software
> that mounts removable drives? I'm pretty sure I never had a drive
> automount without kde or gnome managing them.

I forgot to check on this because I was distracted by other problems :)

Yes, I think it must be a gnome thing because the USB sticks are
mounted only when I startx, not earlier. I'll grep through some
stuff and try to find where it comes from.

"Michael Scherer" 04-18-2012 08:23 PM

USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

a possibility could be to get the label or UUID of the device.
blkid will give you a list to find out.
you could then enter the device in fstab with either LABEL=<label> or
UUID=<uuid>, bypassing the need to use /dev/something, which for USB-disks
might change from one system start to the next

hope I understood your problem correctly

michael

--
Michael Scherer
Univ.klinik f. Psychiatrie

walt 05-03-2012 08:18 PM

USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

(udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
on /run/media instead of /media.

Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa

"Walter Dnes" 05-03-2012 09:45 PM

USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:18:04PM -0700, walt wrote
> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
> > A recent update (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting
> > removable drives on /run/media instead of /media.
>
> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa

Are we running Linux or are we running Lennax?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Canek Peláez Valdés 05-03-2012 09:48 PM

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
>>
>> *A recent update
>> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
>> on /run/media instead of /media.
>

> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa

The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH

And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
see it (unless it has the corresponding permissions). And anyway, if
you are using a desktop system you don't care where the drive mounts,
it just appears in your filemanager. If you are not using a desktop,
then you should not have udisks2 installed, probably.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

walt 05-03-2012 11:00 PM

On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
>>>
>>> A recent update
>>> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
>>> on /run/media instead of /media.
>>

>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
>
> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH

Thanks for the correction.

> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
> see it

I've thought that for a long time. Mounting my own "personal mount" on
a system directory never made any sense to me. However, /run/media is
still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.

I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice. But I'm not doing
the coding in this bazaar ;)

The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
for some reason. Do you know why?

I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?

Canek Peláez Valdés 05-04-2012 12:32 AM

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>>>
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
>>
>> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
>> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
>> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
>> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
>
> Thanks for the correction.
>
>> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
>> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
>> see it
>
> I've thought that for a long time. *Mounting my own "personal mount" on
> a system directory never made any sense to me. *However, /run/media is
> still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice. *But I'm not doing
> the coding in this bazaar ;)
>
> The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
> for some reason. *Do you know why?

So the mountpoint can be created on the fly, and so it is also
volatile. The system could "mkdir /media/<mountpoint>" everytime a USB
is plugged, and then "rmdir /media/<mountpoint>" when it's unplugged;
but if something happens (a power failure or something similar), then
you would need to manually remove the stale dir, or have a process do
it from time to time. Actually, some years ago it was not rare to have
such stale directories under /media.

None of this happens with a tmpfs.

> I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
> tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
> it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?

I don't know, really. gvfs (the new virtual filesystem for GNOME)
mounts the remote shares in $HOME/.gvfs (which is also a tmpfs). I
suppose a $HOME/.mount could be created.

I personally don't care, but it is certainly not consistent. However,
I agree with the idea of getting rid of the /media dir, and I have not
used /mnt in years, so I'm thinking on deleting both so my root dir is
cleaner.

Regards.