Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Joshua Murphy

Default USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
>>>
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
>>
>> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
>> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
>> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
>> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
>
> Thanks for the correction.
>
>> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
>> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
>> see it
>
> I've thought that for a long time. *Mounting my own "personal mount" on
> a system directory never made any sense to me. *However, /run/media is
> still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice. *But I'm not doing
> the coding in this bazaar
>
> The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
> for some reason. *Do you know why?
>
> I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
> tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
> it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?

In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
on the topic than I already do! :-P

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thu, 3 May 2012 20:33:19 -0400
Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
> >> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In
> >> other words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the
> >> responsible is David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
> >>
> >> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
> >
> > Thanks for the correction.
> >
> >> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in
> >> multiseat configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only
> >> him/she will see it
> >
> > I've thought that for a long time. *Mounting my own "personal
> > mount" on a system directory never made any sense to me.
> > *However, /run/media is still a system directory, so it still
> > doesn't make any sense to me.
> >
> > I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice. *But I'm not
> > doing the coding in this bazaar
> >
> > The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a
> > tempfs for some reason. *Do you know why?
> >
> > I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it
> > a tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run
> > when it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?
>
> In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
> up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
> even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
> the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
> come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
> reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
> on the topic than I already do! :-P

Here you go, one time c):

/run can be guaranteed to exist immediately after / is mounted, which
fixes a whole slew of really horrible problems if it isn't.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 AM
pk

On 2012-05-03 23:48, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>And anyway, if
> you are using a desktop system you don't care where the drive mounts,
> it just appears in your filemanager.

I have a desktop system but I don't have a "filemanager" installed and I
don't run an automounter. You assume everyone uses what you do? I don't
even have a /run directory so please don't assume that, at least some of
us, doesn't care about where "the drive mounts" (since I mount manually)...

>If you are not using a desktop,
> then you should not have udisks2 installed, probably.

I don't have udisks(n) installed either... see no need for it. :-)

Best regards

Peter K

Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 4 May 2012 03:37:05 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
> > up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
> > even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
> > the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
> > come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
> > reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
> > on the topic than I already do! :-P
> >

> Here you go, one time c):
>
> /run can be guaranteed to exist immediately after / is mounted, which
> fixes a whole slew of really horrible problems if it isn't.

But it cannot be guaranteed that / is mounted rw at this time, so /run o
tmpfs makes sense from that perspective. However, it is an illogical place
to mount removable devices, whereas the function of /media is immediately
obvious from its name. The link given indicates that systemd was already
mounting /media as a tmpfs, is it really worth switching to an
unintuitive location for the mountpoints just to save one tmpfs which
uses so little resources?

--
Neil Bothwick

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.