Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Default My printing's not working. Help, please!

Hi, all.

My printing's not working. I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.

If I attempt to print from (say) Mozilla, everything appears to go fine
up to the actual printing. I do

# lpq

, then I get this:

ML-1450 is ready and printing
Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
active acm 44 Lernen im Internet - Anmeldung 94208 bytes

.

However the printer isn't actually printing. I know there's nothing
wrong with the printer or USB cable as such, since I can do

$ echo printing^L > /dev/lp0

, and a page with "printing" on it comes out of my printer.

Any suggestions?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 PM

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 03:39:12PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> My printing's not working. I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.
>
> If I attempt to print from (say) Mozilla, everything appears to go fine
> up to the actual printing. I do
>
> # lpq
>
> , then I get this:
>
> ML-1450 is ready and printing
> Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
> active acm 44 Lernen im Internet - Anmeldung 94208 bytes
>
> .
>
> However the printer isn't actually printing. I know there's nothing
> wrong with the printer or USB cable as such, since I can do
>
> $ echo printing^L > /dev/lp0
>
> , and a page with "printing" on it comes out of my printer.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Have you checked the cups setup - http://localhost:631 - and looked at all
the setup settings and the Jobs queue? Sounds like a driver issue to me, but
I always use HP printers, and hplip takes care of the drivers. I'm not
familiar with the drivers for Samsung products.

Perhaps someone will come along who has that printer that can assist you.
Also you might ask on freenode IRC, channel #gentoo. That is a very helpful
resource. Good luck!

Terry

Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
walt

On 04/13/2012 08:39 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> My printing's not working. I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.

Have you tried deleting the cups printers using the localhost:631 cups
server? I've had so many obscure printing problems after updating the
cups package, I just routinely delete and recreate the printers before
I even try to print something. Usually fixes my printing problems.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Nilesh Govindrajan

On Apr 14, 2012 4:59 AM, <ny6p01@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 03:39:12PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Hi, all.

> > My printing's not working. *I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.

> > If I attempt to print from (say) Mozilla, everything appears to go fine

> > up to the actual printing. *I do

> > * * # lpq

> > , then I get this:

> > * * ML-1450 is ready and printing

> > * * Rank * *Owner * Job * * File(s) * * * * * * * * * * * * Total Size

> > * * active *acm * * 44 * * *Lernen im Internet - Anmeldung *94208 bytes

> > .

> > However the printer isn't actually printing. *I know there's nothing

> > wrong with the printer or USB cable as such, since I can do

> > * * $ echo printing^L > /dev/lp0

> > , and a page with "printing" on it comes out of my printer.

> > Any suggestions?

> > --

> > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

> Have you checked the cups setup - http://localhost:631 - and looked at all

> the setup settings and the Jobs queue? Sounds like a driver issue to me, but

> I always use HP printers, and hplip takes care of the drivers. I'm not

> familiar with the drivers for Samsung products.

> Perhaps someone will come along who has that printer that can assist you.

> Also you might ask on freenode IRC, channel #gentoo. That is a very helpful

> resource. Good luck!

> Terry

The backend driver might be failing. See cups error log.

--

Nilesh Govindrajan

http://nileshgr.com

Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 AM
Dale

walt wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 08:39 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> My printing's not working. I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.
>
> Have you tried deleting the cups printers using the localhost:631 cups
> server? I've had so many obscure printing problems after updating the
> cups package, I just routinely delete and recreate the printers before
> I even try to print something. Usually fixes my printing problems.

I have done the same thing in the past. It's amazing how a delete and
re-add can fix things.

I use HP printers to tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Mick

On Saturday 14 Apr 2012 01:57:13 Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2012 4:59 AM, <ny6p01@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 03:39:12PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Hi, all.
> > >
> > > My printing's not working. I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.
> > >
> > > If I attempt to print from (say) Mozilla, everything appears to go fine
> > > up to the actual printing. I do
> > >
> > > # lpq
> > >
> > > , then I get this:
> > > ML-1450 is ready and printing
> > > Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
> > > active acm 44 Lernen im Internet - Anmeldung 94208 bytes
> > >
> > > .
> > >
> > > However the printer isn't actually printing. I know there's nothing
> > > wrong with the printer or USB cable as such, since I can do
> > >
> > > $ echo printing^L > /dev/lp0
> > >
> > > , and a page with "printing" on it comes out of my printer.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
> >
> > Have you checked the cups setup - http://localhost:631 - and looked at
> > all the setup settings and the Jobs queue? Sounds like a driver issue to
> > me,
>
> but
>
> > I always use HP printers, and hplip takes care of the drivers. I'm not
> > familiar with the drivers for Samsung products.
> >
> > Perhaps someone will come along who has that printer that can assist you.
> > Also you might ask on freenode IRC, channel #gentoo. That is a very
>
> helpful
>
> > resource. Good luck!
> >
> > Terry
>
> The backend driver might be failing. See cups error log.

Also, reconfigure the driver in http://localhost:631 because sometimes drivers
change and your cups set up may still be pointing to the old driver.

Mick

Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Hello, Walt.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 05:11:43PM -0700, walt wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 08:39 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hi, all.

> > My printing's not working. I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.

> Have you tried deleting the cups printers using the localhost:631 cups
> server? I've had so many obscure printing problems after updating the
> cups package, I just routinely delete and recreate the printers before
> I even try to print something. Usually fixes my printing problems.

OK, I tried that (though it turns out it wasn't the problem, see below).
I'm glad I wrote down my about-to-be-deleted config first. localhost:631
has got to be the cruddiest GUI configurer around. I think I had to
describe my (USB connected) printer as "scsi", and then a little later
had to enter a "NAME", without any indication being given of whose name.
Luckily, I have enough experience to guess correctly, 'cause there's no
help on these things. How I hate cups!

My actual problem was that my printer is on /dev/lp0, generated by mdev.
When I switched back to a udev system, the printer's on /dev/usblp0
(which is a symlink to /dev/usb/lp0).

There doesn't seem to be anything in any cups config file to specify the
device to print to. The nearest thing to a config item is

DeviceURI usb://Samsung/ML-1450

in /etc/printers.conf. I don't know where "usb://" is defined - Firefox
rejects it straight off. I don't know how this URI is converted to
/dev/usblp0, but it seems to be hard coded in effect.

So, can I configure "usb://Samsung/ML-1450" as /dev/lp0?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 04-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Mick

On Saturday 14 Apr 2012 14:26:14 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, Walt.
>
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 05:11:43PM -0700, walt wrote:
> > On 04/13/2012 08:39 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Hi, all.
> > >
> > > My printing's not working. I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.
> >
> > Have you tried deleting the cups printers using the localhost:631 cups
> > server? I've had so many obscure printing problems after updating the
> > cups package, I just routinely delete and recreate the printers before
> > I even try to print something. Usually fixes my printing problems.
>
> OK, I tried that (though it turns out it wasn't the problem, see below).
> I'm glad I wrote down my about-to-be-deleted config first. localhost:631
> has got to be the cruddiest GUI configurer around. I think I had to
> describe my (USB connected) printer as "scsi", and then a little later
> had to enter a "NAME", without any indication being given of whose name.
> Luckily, I have enough experience to guess correctly, 'cause there's no
> help on these things. How I hate cups!
>
> My actual problem was that my printer is on /dev/lp0, generated by mdev.
> When I switched back to a udev system, the printer's on /dev/usblp0
> (which is a symlink to /dev/usb/lp0).
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything in any cups config file to specify the
> device to print to. The nearest thing to a config item is
>
> DeviceURI usb://Samsung/ML-1450
>
> in /etc/printers.conf.

I think you mean /etc/cups/printers.conf ?

> I don't know where "usb://" is defined - Firefox
> rejects it straight off. I don't know how this URI is converted to
> /dev/usblp0, but it seems to be hard coded in effect.
>
> So, can I configure "usb://Samsung/ML-1450" as /dev/lp0?

In your printers.conf try something like:

DeviceURI usb:/dev/usb/lp0

or

DeviceURI usb:/dev/usblp0

For parallel connection it would be something like:

DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0

Don't forget to restart cups.

Mick

Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM
James

Alan Mackenzie <acm <at> muc.de> writes:

> I'm glad I wrote down my about-to-be-deleted config first.

An an upgrade to anything that want to modify *.config,

I so to the dir and save about-2-be-deleted version
of all config files. For example in /etc/cups/

printers.conf
printers.conf.31aug11
printers.conf.5dec10
printers.conf.6jun2011
printers.conf.orig (original)

I could use the optional names during the updates,
but those names are non sensical to me.

It's saved my bacon on too many occasions, as cups
it not the only brain_dead software and keeping
config records that can be date correlated, helps
on a variety of issues. Occasionally I prune the
files.... I asways use hplip with HP printers.

ymmv,
James

Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Dale

James wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm <at> muc.de> writes:
>

>> I'm glad I wrote down my about-to-be-deleted config first.
>
> An an upgrade to anything that want to modify *.config,
>
> I so to the dir and save about-2-be-deleted version
> of all config files. For example in /etc/cups/
>
> printers.conf
> printers.conf.31aug11
> printers.conf.5dec10
> printers.conf.6jun2011
> printers.conf.orig (original)
>
> I could use the optional names during the updates,
> but those names are non sensical to me.
>
> It's saved my bacon on too many occasions, as cups
> it not the only brain_dead software and keeping
> config records that can be date correlated, helps
> on a variety of issues. Occasionally I prune the
> files.... I asways use hplip with HP printers.
>

> ymmv,
> James

I think dispatch.conf does this automatically. I use it here and it has
backups of my config files. Of course, I also keep a backups manually
from time to time. Usually if I have a good long uptime and can reboot
with no errors, I make a new backup. I have never used dispatch.conf to
recover a config tho.

OP, you may want to check into this if you do have issues with updates.
It may be handy and automatic too.

Dale

:-) :-)