FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Dale
 
Default seamonkey bookmarks file location

James wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
> The seamonkey bookmarks.html (the current bookmark listing)
> use to kept in
>
> ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/<###>.default
>
> I cannot find a newer listing than 2011 in that location.
>
> Did it get moved to another location? Remaned yet again?
>
> What I'm after is manually coping the bookmarks
> for seamonkey to another (kde)workstation.
>
> James
>
>
>


Mine is where you listed yours was. I'm not sure where else to look. I
did notice there is a boomarkbackup directory with newer items. Maybe
it keeps the original but only changes the backups? It does look weird.

As a alternative, open bookmarks and use the export and import tool.
It's in the Tools section of the menu.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 PM
pk
 
Default seamonkey bookmarks file location

On 2012-04-13 22:06, James wrote:

> The seamonkey bookmarks.html (the current bookmark listing)
> use to kept in
>
> ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/<###>.default
>
> I cannot find a newer listing than 2011 in that location.
>
> Did it get moved to another location? Remaned yet again?
>
> What I'm after is manually coping the bookmarks
> for seamonkey to another (kde)workstation.

Hm... seamonkey (as well as firefox) don't use the bookmarks.html file
anymore; now it's using sqlite to store bookmarks instead.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/FAQ#Bookmarks

http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#files

Best regards

Peter K
 
Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Q
 
Default seamonkey bookmarks file location

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:06:01 +0000 (UTC)
James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> The seamonkey bookmarks.html (the current bookmark listing)
> use to kept in
>
> ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/<###>.default
>
> I cannot find a newer listing than 2011 in that location.
>
> Did it get moved to another location? Remaned yet again?
>
> What I'm after is manually coping the bookmarks
> for seamonkey to another (kde)workstation.

As pk says, the bookmarks are now stored in an sqlite database, along
with browser history. The best way to port them to another machine is
to use the bookmarks manager (ctrl+b) to make a backup (within the
manager, that's Tools Backup), then use the restore option in the new
SeaMonkey.

It's also possible to use export/import instead of backup/restore, but
backup/restore creates and uses a json file, whereas export/import
creates and uses an html file. Less info is lost with the json
file. But note that using restore will overwrite existing bookmarks.
 
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Frank Steinmetzger
 
Default seamonkey bookmarks file location

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:03:53PM -0500, »Q« wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:06:01 +0000 (UTC)
> James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > […]
> > What I'm after is manually coping the bookmarks
> > for seamonkey to another (kde)workstation.
>
> As pk says, the bookmarks are now stored in an sqlite database, along
> with browser history. The best way to port them to another machine is
> to use the bookmarks manager (ctrl+b) to make a backup (within the
> manager, that's Tools » Backup), then use the restore option in the new
> SeaMonkey.
>
> It's also possible to use export/import instead of backup/restore, but
> backup/restore creates and uses a json file, whereas export/import
> creates and uses an html file. Less info is lost with the json
> file. But note that using restore will overwrite existing bookmarks.

There’s nothting wrong in copying places.sqlite itself. That way, you can
also backup your entire history. Of course, the file is also a bit bigger
because of that.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not use my email addresses within any Facebook service.

GNU jokes are not Unix jokes.
 
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 PM
»Q«
 
Default seamonkey bookmarks file location

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 23:47:51 +0200
Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 08:03:53PM -0500, »Q« wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:06:01 +0000 (UTC)
> > James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > > […]
> > > What I'm after is manually coping the bookmarks
> > > for seamonkey to another (kde)workstation.
> >
> > As pk says, the bookmarks are now stored in an sqlite database,
> > along with browser history. The best way to port them to another
> > machine is to use the bookmarks manager (ctrl+b) to make a backup
> > (within the manager, that's Tools » Backup), then use the restore
> > option in the new SeaMonkey.
> >
> > It's also possible to use export/import instead of backup/restore,
> > but backup/restore creates and uses a json file, whereas
> > export/import creates and uses an html file. Less info is lost
> > with the json file. But note that using restore will overwrite
> > existing bookmarks.
>
> There’s nothting wrong in copying places.sqlite itself. That way,
> you can also backup your entire history. Of course, the file is also
> a bit bigger because of that.

That's true. There used to be a places.sqlite-journal file as well,
which should be deleted from the profile a places.sqlite file is being
copied to, but I don't see it any more in either Firefox or SeaMonkey.
 
Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Willie WY Wong
 
Default seamonkey bookmarks file location

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 05:28:12PM -0500, Penguin Lover Q squawked:
> That's true. There used to be a places.sqlite-journal file as well,
> which should be deleted from the profile a places.sqlite file is being
> copied to, but I don't see it any more in either Firefox or SeaMonkey.
>

While I don't know if this is *supposed* to be the right way, what
I've done recently when I installed a new computer was just to copy
the latest entry in

~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/bookmarkbackups/

to the corresponding location in the new computer, and on the new
install use bookmark manager to restore to a previous back up.

W

--
Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton
 
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Q
 
Default seamonkey bookmarks file location

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:30:47 +0200
Willie WY Wong <wongwwy@member.ams.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 05:28:12PM -0500, Penguin Lover Q squawked:
> > That's true. There used to be a places.sqlite-journal file as well,
> > which should be deleted from the profile a places.sqlite file is
> > being copied to, but I don't see it any more in either Firefox or
> > SeaMonkey.
> >
>
> While I don't know if this is *supposed* to be the right way, what
> I've done recently when I installed a new computer was just to copy
> the latest entry in
>
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/bookmarkbackups/
>
> to the corresponding location in the new computer, and on the new
> install use bookmark manager to restore to a previous back up.

That's pretty much the way Mozilla recommends doing it. :-)

<https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Backing-up-restoring-bookmarks#w_moving-bookmarks-to-another-computer>

(Link is for Firefox, but that part of it is the same as SeaMonkey.)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org