Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Florian Philipp

Default sys-fs/ntfsprogs?

Am 13.04.2012 17:18, schrieb 1126:
> Hello List!
>
> I just wanted to format my external hdd with ntfs, but I couldn't. "mkfs.ntfs" is not found, and that's because ntfsprogs is not installed. And I can't install ntfsprogs, because they seem to have disappeared. When I do
> a "emerge --search ntfs", only ntfs-3g is found. When I search the "packages.gentoo.org"-website, it finds an entry at sys-fs/ntfsprogs, but I can't open the website.
>
> What's going on there?
>
> Thanks in advance and a fine weekend!
>
> Christian.

sys-fs/ntfs3g has a new USE flag "ntfsprogs". That's where
sys-fs/ntfsprogs went.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 04-13-2012, 05:00 PM
1126

Hello!

On Fri, 13. Apr 17:34, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 13.04.2012 17:18, schrieb 1126:
> > Hello List!
> >
> > I just wanted to format my external hdd with ntfs, but I couldn't. "mkfs.ntfs" is not found, and that's because ntfsprogs is not installed. And I can't install ntfsprogs, because they seem to have disappeared. When I do
> > a "emerge --search ntfs", only ntfs-3g is found. When I search the "packages.gentoo.org"-website, it finds an entry at sys-fs/ntfsprogs, but I can't open the website.
> >
> > What's going on there?
> >
> > Thanks in advance and a fine weekend!
> >
> > Christian.
> >

> sys-fs/ntfs3g has a new USE flag "ntfsprogs". That's where
> sys-fs/ntfsprogs went.

Thanks a lot!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:00:37 +0200
1126 <mailinglists@elfsechsundzwanzig.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Fri, 13. Apr 17:34, Florian Philipp wrote:
> > Am 13.04.2012 17:18, schrieb 1126:
> > > Hello List!
> > >
> > > I just wanted to format my external hdd with ntfs, but I
> > > couldn't. "mkfs.ntfs" is not found, and that's because ntfsprogs
> > > is not installed. And I can't install ntfsprogs, because they
> > > seem to have disappeared. When I do a "emerge --search ntfs",
> > > only ntfs-3g is found. When I search the
> > > "packages.gentoo.org"-website, it finds an entry at
> > > sys-fs/ntfsprogs, but I can't open the website.
> > >
> > > What's going on there?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance and a fine weekend!
> > >
> > > Christian.
> > >

> > sys-fs/ntfs3g has a new USE flag "ntfsprogs". That's where
> > sys-fs/ntfsprogs went.
>
> Thanks a lot!

NTFS is a very complex filesystem, mostly undocumented. That ntfs-3g
works at all is a marvellous thing.

I've always considered that formatting ntfs and doing complicated
things with it is best done in Windows. That you want NTFS at all shows
you must have Windows available somewhere, I recommend you format the
drive there rather.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:00:37 +0200
> 1126 <mailinglists@elfsechsundzwanzig.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello!

>> > sys-fs/ntfs3g has a new USE flag "ntfsprogs". That's where
>> > sys-fs/ntfsprogs went.
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>
> NTFS is a very complex filesystem, mostly undocumented. That ntfs-3g
> works at all is a marvellous thing.
>
> I've always considered that formatting ntfs and doing complicated
> things with it is best done in Windows. That you want NTFS at all shows
> you must have Windows available somewhere, I recommend you format the
> drive there rather.

I actually do the opposite. If I need to reinstall Windows, I usually
format the hard drive with mkfs.ntfs from a livecd. Has worked like a
charm since circa 2000. Obviously with USB drives also.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México