Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

Default About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.

On Mon, April 16, 2012 3:47 pm, Dale wrote:
> J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, April 14, 2012 4:28 pm, Florian Philipp wrote:
>>
>> <SNIPPED>
>>
>>> As we are out of rational ideas, have you tried unplugging the old
>>> disk?
>>> You don't need it for booting at the moment, right? AS SATA is
>>> hot-plugin capable, you can re-insert it later.
>>
>> Be careful here, not all SATA-controllers/ports on mainboards are
>> hotplug
>> capable. I have a mainboard that becomes really unstable when I try to
>> hot(un)plug a harddisk.
>> It runs perfectly fine as long as I switch the computer off before
>> swapping harddrives.
>
> According to the manual, mine is. Given my luck, I don't want to try
> it. ;-)

If the manual says it is, then probably it will be.

I have 2 mainboards I tried it with that don't mention either way for
hotswap in the manuals.
One gets unstable, the other works perfectly.

The last mainboard I bought actually has an option in the BIOS where I can
specify per SATA-port which are to support hotswap or not

--
Joost

Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Dale

J. Roeleveld wrote:

> On Mon, April 16, 2012 3:47 pm, Dale wrote:
>> J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, April 14, 2012 4:28 pm, Florian Philipp wrote:
>>>
>>> <SNIPPED>

>>> Be careful here, not all SATA-controllers/ports on mainboards are
>>> hotplug
>>> capable. I have a mainboard that becomes really unstable when I try to
>>> hot(un)plug a harddisk.
>>> It runs perfectly fine as long as I switch the computer off before
>>> swapping harddrives.
>>
>> According to the manual, mine is. Given my luck, I don't want to try
>> it. ;-)
>
> If the manual says it is, then probably it will be.
>
> I have 2 mainboards I tried it with that don't mention either way for
> hotswap in the manuals.
> One gets unstable, the other works perfectly.
>
> The last mainboard I bought actually has an option in the BIOS where I can
> specify per SATA-port which are to support hotswap or not
>
> --
> Joost

I need to look again. Now that I think about it, I think only a couple
of mine support it. I just plan to cut mine off and be safe, unless the
house is on fire. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!