Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Alex Schuster

Default Gnome without PulseAudio?

Hi there!

Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants pulseaudio,
which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I wouldn't
mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play movies,
and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than normal.

So I would like to get rid of it. Is this possible? I don't really use
Gnome, but I like to have it to see how it develops. And I wouldn't like
to remove it just because of a sound problem.

Maybe the PulseAudio problem is the same as I had with ALSA, I have two
internal cards, and I had to tell ALSA not to prefer the SPDIF one.
Maybe I have to do the same with PulseAudio, but I do not know how. And
the weird playback effects are spooky, I'd prefer to keep things as they
are, at the moment I'm happy with plain ALSA.

And what is starting the pulseaudio process? I can kill it, but it comes
back the next time I run mplayer. Is there a way to just disable it?

Wonko

Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
> version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants pulseaudio,
> which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I wouldn't
> mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play movies,
> and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
> effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
> skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than normal.

Is MPlayer using PulseAudio? Maybe if it did, the problem would go
away; I have this in my ~/.mplayer/config:

ao=pulse

For sure, VLC has an option to use PA by default also.

> So I would like to get rid of it. Is this possible? I don't really use
> Gnome, but I like to have it to see how it develops. And I wouldn't like
> to remove it just because of a sound problem.

GNOME 3 depends (strongly, I think) on PulseAudio; you don't say which
version of GNOME are you using, but in GNOME 2 PA was optional.

> Maybe the PulseAudio problem is the same as I had with ALSA, I have two
> internal cards, and I had to tell ALSA not to prefer the SPDIF one.
> Maybe I have to do the same with PulseAudio, but I do not know how.

Try media-sound/pavucontrol; you can select which card the sounds goes
through, and which output to use (HDMI, for example).

> And
> the weird playback effects are spooky, I'd prefer to keep things as they
> are, at the moment I'm happy with plain ALSA.

I don't think it is possible to uninstall completely PA in GNOME 3; I
remember it was possible in GNOME 2.

> And what is starting the pulseaudio process? I can kill it, but it comes
> back the next time I run mplayer. Is there a way to just disable it?

If I recall correctly, the GNOME session manager will keep starting PA
if the daemon dies.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 04-11-2012, 03:12 AM
Alex Schuster

Canek Peláez Valdés writes:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

>> Recently, PulseAudio got installed. Seems like gnome-settings-daemon
>> version 3 no longer has the pulseaudio use flag, so it wants pulseaudio,
>> which needs alsa-plugins built with the pulseaudio use flag. I wouldn't
>> mind using PulseAudio, but ist starts automatically when I play movies,
>> and I get no sound output in mplayer or VLC. And there are weird side
>> effects, sometimes playback stops, I have to make it run again by
>> skipping back and forward. Sometimes videos play much faster than normal.
>
> Is MPlayer using PulseAudio? Maybe if it did, the problem would go
> away; I have this in my ~/.mplayer/config:
>
> ao=pulse
> For sure, VLC has an option to use PA by default also.

Oh, I think it does, but there was no sound output. Sorry for not
mentioning this. I had to switch manually to another sound device, HDA
ATI something, I cannot look now because I am not near my desktop PC.

If it would just work, then I could make my players use it if they don't
already. But what about old applications like Quake3, will they still work?

>> So I would like to get rid of it. Is this possible? I don't really use
>> Gnome, but I like to have it to see how it develops. And I wouldn't like
>> to remove it just because of a sound problem.
>
> GNOME 3 depends (strongly, I think) on PulseAudio; you don't say which
> version of GNOME are you using, but in GNOME 2 PA was optional.

GNOME 3. I don't use it, but I wanted to look a little into its desktop
philosophy.

>> Maybe the PulseAudio problem is the same as I had with ALSA, I have two
>> internal cards, and I had to tell ALSA not to prefer the SPDIF one.
>> Maybe I have to do the same with PulseAudio, but I do not know how.
>
> Try media-sound/pavucontrol; you can select which card the sounds goes
> through, and which output to use (HDMI, for example).

Thanks, I just installed it. It shows the HDMI device on top, and only
this on has the green checkbox enabled. Maybe simply activating the
analog port will make it run. I'll see this in a week days when I'm back
at my PC.

>> And
>> the weird playback effects are spooky, I'd prefer to keep things as they
>> are, at the moment I'm happy with plain ALSA.
>
> I don't think it is possible to uninstall completely PA in GNOME 3; I
> remember it was possible in GNOME 2.

It got installed when I emerged GNOME 3, but until end of march
alsa-plugins was not installed. Then pulseaudio went from 1.1-r1 to
1.99.2, since then it needs the alsa-plugins package, and my trouble
started.

>> And what is starting the pulseaudio process? I can kill it, but it comes
>> back the next time I run mplayer. Is there a way to just disable it?
>
> If I recall correctly, the GNOME session manager will keep starting PA
> if the daemon dies.

Maybe I had a GNOME session running in parallel? I don't think so, but
I'm not sure.

Thanks for the input on this,

Wonko