-   -   Openvz Vserver (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/654714-openvz-vserver.html)

"siefke_listen@web.de" 04-10-2012 11:14 PM

Openvz Vserver

Hello,

i have Vserver from Strato. I want installed Gentoo, because i like Gentoo.
I have found two Howtos, but what i not really understand, what is with the
Kernel and Grub, i can nothing read there. Or understand i something wrong?

Have someone experience with it?

Thanks, Regards
Silvio

Florian Philipp 04-11-2012 04:53 AM

Openvz Vserver

Am 11.04.2012 01:14, schrieb siefke_listen@web.de:
> Hello,
>

> i have Vserver from Strato. I want installed Gentoo, because i like Gentoo.
> I have found two Howtos, but what i not really understand, what is with the
> Kernel and Grub, i can nothing read there. Or understand i something wrong?
>
> Have someone experience with it?
>

> Thanks, Regards
> Silvio

It's a "Linux-VServer." In this setup, all virtual private servers share
the kernel of the host system (It's like a glorified chroot). You don't
need grub. The host system calls /sbin/init. I've followed this howto
for hosting europe:
http://log.pardus.de/2008/04/gentoo-on-1-vserver.html

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Silvio Siefke 04-11-2012 04:10 PM

Openvz Vserver

Hello,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:53:22 +0200
Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:

> It's a "Linux-VServer." In this setup, all virtual private servers share
> the kernel of the host system (It's like a glorified chroot). You don't
> need grub. The host system calls /sbin/init. I've followed this howto
> for hosting europe:
> http://log.pardus.de/2008/04/gentoo-on-1-vserver.html

Yes this link i know, and u has problems or nothing?. I has run the setup,
but Gentoo want not start. Can u tell me how u make the Network. Because
i understand not the routing.

root@vserver12:~# ip route
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo scope link
default dev venet0 scope link

And must use the vserver build? Because its from year 2006 when i see it right,
can i use it at this timepoint?

Thx for advice.

Regards
Silvio

Florian Philipp 04-11-2012 05:58 PM

Openvz Vserver

Am 11.04.2012 18:10, schrieb Silvio Siefke:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:53:22 +0200
> Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
>
>> It's a "Linux-VServer." In this setup, all virtual private servers share
>> the kernel of the host system (It's like a glorified chroot). You don't
>> need grub. The host system calls /sbin/init. I've followed this howto
>> for hosting europe:
>> http://log.pardus.de/2008/04/gentoo-on-1-vserver.html
>
> Yes this link i know, and u has problems or nothing?. I has run the setup,
> but Gentoo want not start. Can u tell me how u make the Network. Because
> i understand not the routing.
>
> root@vserver12:~# ip route
> 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo scope link
> default dev venet0 scope link

This is my /etc/conf.d/net (of course you have to adapt subnets):

modules="iproute2"
modules="!ifconfig"

config_venet0="83.169.5.6/32 broadcast 0.0.0.0"
routes_venet0="191.255.255.1/32 scope link
default via 191.255.255.1"

dns_domain_lo="binarywings.net"
dns_domain_venet0="binarywings.net"
dns_servers="8.8.8.8"

/sbin/rc-update (notice net.venet0):
bootmisc | boot
devfs | sysinit
dmesg | sysinit
fcron | default
fsck | boot
hostname | boot
hwclock | boot
keymaps | boot
killprocs | shutdown
local | default
localmount | boot
modules | boot
mount-ro | shutdown
mtab | boot
net.lo | boot default
net.venet0 | default
netmount | default
nscd | default
procfs | boot
root | boot
savecache | shutdown
sshd | default
svscan | default
swap | boot
sysctl | boot
syslog-ng | default
termencoding | boot
urandom | boot

> And must use the vserver build? Because its from year 2006 when i see it right,
> can i use it at this timepoint?

IIRC, the build was merged into the main tree. You should be able to use
the default stage3. I'm using the default x86 portage profile.

It's probably also a good idea to set rc_sys in /etc/rc.conf but I
didn't need to.

Sebastian Be▀ler 04-11-2012 06:29 PM

Openvz Vserver

On 11.04.2012 01:14, siefke_listen@web.de wrote:

> i have Vserver from Strato. I want installed Gentoo, because i like Gentoo.
> I have found two Howtos, but what i not really understand, what is with the
> Kernel and Grub, i can nothing read there. Or understand i something wrong?

Be aware that you are then using Gentoo on a shared server and that you
will have great impact on the performance of the other users on the host
if your are not careful.

I was once contacted from strato because of the high load I put on the
server but then I changed /var/tmp/portage to tmpfs and added

PORTAGE_NICENESS="19"
PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p ${PID}"

to make.conf and after everyone was happy.

Greetings

Sebastian

Silvio Siefke 04-11-2012 07:57 PM

Openvz Vserver

Hello,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:58:15 +0200
Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:

> This is my /etc/conf.d/net (of course you have to adapt subnets):
>
> modules="iproute2"
> modules="!ifconfig"
>
> config_venet0="83.169.5.6/32 broadcast 0.0.0.0"
> routes_venet0="191.255.255.1/32 scope link
> default via 191.255.255.1"
>
> dns_domain_lo="binarywings.net"
> dns_domain_venet0="binarywings.net"
> dns_servers="8.8.8.8"

I have it now try with install Gentoo again, and it want not run. Ok
the system started i think, because logs filled.

Here is the rc.log
rc boot logging started at Wed Apr 11 21:19:02 2012
* Configuring kernel parameters ...
[ ok ]
* Creating user login records ...
[ ok ]
* Cleaning /var/run ...
[ ok ]
* Wiping /tmp directory ...
[ ok ]
* Setting hostname to h2025095 ...
[ ok ]
* Updating /etc/mtab ...
[ ok ]
* Bringing up interface lo
* Caching network module dependencies
* 127.0.0.1/8 ...
[ ok ]
* Adding routes
* 127.0.0.0/8 via 127.0.0.1 ...
[ ok ]
* Mounting /dev ...
mount: Operation not supported
[ !! ]
* ERROR: udev-mount failed to start
* ERROR: cannot start udev as udev-mount would not start

rc boot logging stopped at Wed Apr 11 21:19:02 2012
rc default logging started at Wed Apr 11 21:19:02 2012
* Bringing up interface venet0
* 85.214.127.155/32 ...
Error: an inet prefix is expected rather than "85.214.127.155/32/24".
[ !! ]
* ERROR: net.venet0 failed to start
* ERROR: cannot start netmount as net.venet0 would not start
* Starting syslog-ng ...
[ ok ]
* ERROR: cannot start sshd as net.venet0 would not start
* Starting vixie-cron ...
[ ok ]
* Starting local
[ ok ]
* Mounting /dev ...
mount: Operation not supported
[ !! ]
* ERROR: udev-mount failed to start
* ERROR: cannot start udev as udev-mount would not start
rc default logging stopped at Wed Apr 11 21:19:03 2012
rc shutdown logging started at Wed Apr 11 21:45:30 2012
* Stopping local
[ ok ]
* Stopping vixie-cron ...
[ ok ]
* Stopping syslog-ng ...
[ ok ]
* Bringing down interface lo
rc shutdown logging stopped at Wed Apr 11 21:45:31 2012

Here is the /etc/conf.d/net
config_venet0="85.214.127.155/32 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 0.0.0.0"
routes_venet0="127.0.0.0/8 scope link
default via 127.0.0.0/8"
dns_servers_venet0="81.169.163.106 85.214.7.22"
dns_domain_venet0="stratoserver.net"
nis_domain_venet0="stratoserver.net"

I make so, because the ip route give 127.0.0.0.

Has someone idea what is wrong?

Regards
Silvio

Silvio Siefke 04-11-2012 09:44 PM

Openvz Vserver

Hello,

so im step by step near to run gentoo. I think the prob is the network config.

The rc.log -> http://nopaste.info/443b0bc302.html

So it seems so that gentoo start perfectly, but ping give no answers.

root@h2025095:~# ip addr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
3: venet0: <BROADCAST,POINTOPOINT,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
link/void
inet 127.0.0.1/32 scope host venet0
inet 85.214.127.155/32 scope global venet0:0

root@h2025095:~# ip route
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo scope link
default dev venet0 scope link

Mmh has someone idea what i can do?
Thank u.

Regards
Silvio

Silvio Siefke 04-11-2012 10:11 PM

Openvz Vserver

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 20:29:48 +0200
Sebastian Be▀ler <sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:

> Be aware that you are then using Gentoo on a shared server and that you
> will have great impact on the performance of the other users on the host
> if your are not careful.

Yes thats right, it more traffic on the server.

> I was once contacted from strato because of the high load I put on the
> server but then I changed /var/tmp/portage to tmpfs and added
>
> PORTAGE_NICENESS="19"
> PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p ${PID}"

Ok its great idea, can u explain me what mean /var/tmp/portage to tmpfs?
Then i will follow ur advice.

Regards
Silvio

Paul Hartman 04-11-2012 10:35 PM

Openvz Vserver

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@web.de> wrote:
>> I was once contacted from strato because of the high load I put on the
>> server but then I changed /var/tmp/portage to tmpfs and added
>>
>> PORTAGE_NICENESS="19"
>> PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p ${PID}"
>
> Ok its great idea, can u explain me what mean /var/tmp/portage to tmpfs?
> Then i will follow ur advice.

In /etc/make.conf set the portage temporary directory to a location on
tmpfs, for example mine:

PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/dev/shm

This only works well if you have a lot of free RAM available, though.

Silvio Siefke 04-12-2012 12:36 AM

Openvz Vserver

Hello,

so i has 3 times try to run gentoo and now run it on my vserver.
Thx for help and all nice new day.

Regards
Silvio