Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?

With the recent speed bump on my ADSL service from 5 megabps to 6
(don't laugh), I can now download 1080p Youtube Flash videos almost fast
enough to keep up. E.g. a 20 or 25 second headstart will allow me to
play a 5 minute video before it has to buffer. On some html5 videos
(Firefox with USE="webm"), The download is actually a touch faster than
the playback, and there's no buffering at all.

Some of you may remember my struggles to get my 4-year-old Dell to
eventually display hockey games on NHL GameCenter even at the lowest
available speed using the onboard Intel GPU. Well, I can play the HD
Youtube videos with the "small player" or "large player", but fullscreen
is hopeless. The onboard GPU can't keep up. So I'm looking at getting
a PCI video card. Any relatively new PCI video card that is supported
by an open-source driver, including hardware acceleration? Any
experiences, good/bad/so-so?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Dale

Walter Dnes wrote:
> With the recent speed bump on my ADSL service from 5 megabps to 6
> (don't laugh),

I get under 1Mb/sec so I won't laugh. I may cry tho. :-(

Then again, this beats dial-up big time. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

This is a CPU problem, not GPU. Try to install
media-video/smplayer-0.8.0 (older versions don't support YouTube), and
open the YouTube video link in it. In the preferences ("performance"
section) you can select the quality at which to open the videos.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/04/12 14:26, Walter Dnes wrote:
>>
>> * With the recent speed bump on my ADSL service from 5 megabps to 6
>> (don't laugh), I can now download 1080p Youtube Flash videos almost fast
>> enough to keep up. *E.g. a 20 or 25 second headstart will allow me to
>> play a 5 minute video before it has to buffer. *On some html5 videos
>> (Firefox with USE="webm"), The download is actually a touch faster than
>> the playback, and there's no buffering at all.
>>
>> * Some of you may remember my struggles to get my 4-year-old Dell to
>> eventually display hockey games on NHL GameCenter even at the lowest
>> available speed using the onboard Intel GPU. *Well, I can play the HD
>> Youtube videos with the "small player" or "large player", but fullscreen
>> is hopeless. *The onboard GPU can't keep up. *So I'm looking at getting
>> a PCI video card. *Any relatively new PCI video card that is supported
>> by an open-source driver, including hardware acceleration? *Any
>> experiences, good/bad/so-so?
>

> This is a CPU problem, not GPU. *Try to install media-video/smplayer-0.8.0
> (older versions don't support YouTube), and open the YouTube video link in
> it. *In the preferences ("performance" section) you can select the quality
> at which to open the videos.

Yes and no. You can use GPU acceleration for video decoding. I'd
suggest the low-end nVidia GeForce cards, as any nVidia card from the
last couple years will do hardware h264 decode (which even Linux
versions of Flash will take advantage of, now), but I don't think the
novou drivers implement vdpau support yet.

My favorite is the nVidia GeForce 210; cheap and effective. I picked
up a couple of them retail for $50 USD. At the time, I think there
were PCI versions available, but I don't know if that's still true.

--
:wq

Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Stroller

On 10 April 2012, at 12:26, Walter Dnes wrote:
> With the recent speed bump on my ADSL service from 5 megabps to 6
> (don't laugh), I can now download 1080p Youtube Flash videos almost fast
> enough to keep up. E.g. a 20 or 25 second headstart will allow me to
> play a 5 minute video before it has to buffer. On some html5 videos
> (Firefox with USE="webm"), The download is actually a touch faster than
> the playback, and there's no buffering at all.
>
> Some of you may remember my struggles to get my 4-year-old Dell to
> eventually display hockey games on NHL GameCenter even at the lowest
> available speed using the onboard Intel GPU. Well, I can play the HD
> Youtube videos with the "small player" or "large player", but fullscreen
> is hopeless.

Have you tried net-misc/youtube-dl ?

This may not be a direct answer to your question, but youtube-dl allows you to select the video's encoding and quality (-f and -F options) and just grab the video as an MP4 or .flv file.

You may find the video plays more smoothly without the overhead (??) of being played in a browser (or by a browser plig-in). When you've downloaded with youtube-dl you can then just double-click on it and open in mplayer or vlc - at least you get the choice of video players that way, and you may find one of them smoother and less sputtery.

I'm sceptical over the benefits of upgrading a 4 year old PC (short of ripping most all the guts out and starting again). I know the industry has currently settled on PCIe, but haven't bus speeds increased in the last 4 years? Are all the latest cards compatible with your Dell? If not, then you'll probably end up buying an older model, and then that will be sub-optimal when you want to upgrade your motherboard in a year's time.

I'm sorry if this reply is unhelpful, but you give a lot of information, and perhaps that means you might be open to considering alternative solutions to the core problem.

Stroller.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

Not with Adobe Flash on an Intel GPU. His problem is that Flash uses
way too much CPU, and mplayer (which SMPlayer is using) does not. It's
really a CPU problem.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 06:45:55PM +0100, Stroller wrote

> I'm sceptical over the benefits of upgrading a 4 year old PC (short
> of ripping most all the guts out and starting again). I know the
> industry has currently settled on PCIe, but haven't bus speeds
> increased in the last 4 years? Are all the latest cards compatible
> with your Dell? If not, then you'll probably end up buying an older
> model, and then that will be sub-optimal when you want to upgrade
> your motherboard in a year's time.

I've posted a snapshot of the Dell's internals on my ISP's personal
webspace at http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/dell2.jpg Is
the long black slot PCIe? What's the short black slot?

> I'm sorry if this reply is unhelpful, but you give a lot of information,
> and perhaps that means you might be open to considering alternative
> solutions to the core problem.

If it's PCIe, so be it. Actually, a post that prevents me wasting
money is helpful <G>. Would PCIe be significantly better on the same
CPU+GPU, or is it hype?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 AM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> *I've posted a snapshot of the Dell's internals on my ISP's personal
> webspace at http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/dell2.jpg *Is
> the long black slot PCIe? *What's the short black slot?

If you look closely, they are labeled on the motherboard itself.

The white slots are 5-volt 32-bit conventional PCI slots.

The long black slot is a PCI Express x16, while the short black slot
is a PCI Express x1.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Apr 11, 2012 1:15 PM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 06:45:55PM +0100, Stroller wrote

> > I'm sceptical over the benefits of upgrading a 4 year old PC (short

> > of ripping most all the guts out and starting again). I know the

> > industry has currently settled on PCIe, but haven't bus speeds

> > increased in the last 4 years? Are all the latest cards compatible

> > with your Dell? If not, then you'll probably end up buying an older

> > model, and then that will be sub-optimal when you want to upgrade

> > your motherboard in a year's time.

> *I've posted a snapshot of the Dell's internals on my ISP's personal

> webspace at http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/dell2.jpg *Is

> the long black slot PCIe? *What's the short black slot?

The long black slot looks like PCIe. To be precise, PCIe x16. The short black slot is PCIe x1, (originally) meant for low-bandwidth devices like a fax modem.

> > I'm sorry if this reply is unhelpful, but you give a lot of information,

> > and perhaps that means you might be open to considering alternative

> > solutions to the core problem.

> *If it's PCIe, so be it. *Actually, a post that prevents me wasting

> money is helpful <G>. *Would PCIe be significantly better on the same

> CPU+GPU, or is it hype?

For games with huge 3D textures, absolutely. For video playback, not so much.

But the main point would be that the newest graphics cards are all released in PCIe version only, and future mobos will all support PCIe, so it's a future-safe investment.

Rgds,

Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 02:11:35 schrieb Walter Dnes:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 06:45:55PM +0100, Stroller wrote
>
> > I'm sceptical over the benefits of upgrading a 4 year old PC (short
> > of ripping most all the guts out and starting again). I know the
> > industry has currently settled on PCIe, but haven't bus speeds
> > increased in the last 4 years? Are all the latest cards compatible
> > with your Dell? If not, then you'll probably end up buying an older
> > model, and then that will be sub-optimal when you want to upgrade
> > your motherboard in a year's time.
>
> I've posted a snapshot of the Dell's internals on my ISP's personal
> webspace at http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/dell2.jpg Is
> the long black slot PCIe? What's the short black slot?
>
> > I'm sorry if this reply is unhelpful, but you give a lot of information,
> > and perhaps that means you might be open to considering alternative
> > solutions to the core problem.
>
> If it's PCIe, so be it. Actually, a post that prevents me wasting
> money is helpful <G>. Would PCIe be significantly better on the same
> CPU+GPU, or is it hype?

a lot, lot lot lot better. No hype.
--

#163933