FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?

Am Sonntag, 15. April 2012, 16:44:43 schrieb Florian Philipp:
> Am 15.04.2012 16:22, schrieb Michael Mol:
> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>
wrote:
> >> Am 15.04.2012 15:18, schrieb Walter Dnes:
> >>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:30:02PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
> >>>
> >>>> Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 02:11:35 schrieb Walter Dnes:
> >>>>> If it's PCIe, so be it. Actually, a post that prevents me wasting
> >>>>>
> >>>>> money is helpful <G>. Would PCIe be significantly better on the same
> >>>>> CPU+GPU, or is it hype?
> >>>>
> >>>> a lot, lot lot lot better. No hype.
> >>>>
> >>> I've done some looking, and I'm back with more questions. I've also
> >>>
> >>> read the Nouveau-versus-NVIDIA thread. Questions...
> >>>
> >>> 1) Will PCIe 2.0 cards work in a PCIe 1.0 slot? I'm not expecting 2.0
> >>> performance, I just want full backwards compatability. PCIe 1.0 cards
> >>> seem to be rare, and have to be ordered online, while I can pick up a
> >>> 2.0 card locally at a store.
> >>
> >> PCIe-2.0 is fully downward compatible to 1.1 and 1.0.
> >>
> >>> 2) My main "torture test" will be HD fullscreen video. Will there be
> >>> major improvement in that? That's 2D. Forget 3D.
> >>
> >> 2D video is still rendered using OpenGL if your video player supports it.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any video decoders using CUDA, OpenCL, or pixel
> > shaders for video decoding; AFAIK, unless you're using VDPAU you're
> > still using the CPU to render the video to a frame buffer. The most a
> > video player is going to use OpenGL for is stretching that frame
> > buffer to fit a window or screen, and possibly as a compositor to
> > place overlays like subtitles or playback control elements..
>
> Agreed. Decoding is still usually done in software but offloading
> scaling and YUV to RGB conversion helps none the less. Mplayer, for
> example, allows a lot of customization depending on the amount of
> texture units. With high resolution displays and slow CPUs, this can
> have surprisingly large effects.
>

and with vlc you can use vaapi which can make use of the video decoding engine
of the graphic chip.

If the movie is using the right codec, of course.
--
#163933
 
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 15. April 2012, 16:44:43 schrieb Florian Philipp:
>> Am 15.04.2012 16:22, schrieb Michael Mol:
>> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net>
> wrote:
>> >> Am 15.04.2012 15:18, schrieb Walter Dnes:
>> >>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:30:02PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
>> >>>
>> >>>> Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 02:11:35 schrieb Walter Dnes:
>> >>>>> * If it's PCIe, so be it. *Actually, a post that prevents me wasting
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> money is helpful <G>. *Would PCIe be significantly better on the same
>> >>>>> CPU+GPU, or is it hype?
>> >>>>
>> >>>> a lot, lot lot lot better. No hype.
>> >>>>
>> >>> * I've done some looking, and I'm back with more questions. *I've also
>> >>>
>> >>> read the Nouveau-versus-NVIDIA thread. *Questions...
>> >>>
>> >>> 1) Will PCIe 2.0 cards work in a PCIe 1.0 slot? *I'm not expecting 2.0
>> >>> performance, I just want full backwards compatability. *PCIe 1.0 cards
>> >>> seem to be rare, and have to be ordered online, while I can pick up a
>> >>> 2.0 card locally at a store.
>> >>
>> >> PCIe-2.0 is fully downward compatible to 1.1 and 1.0.
>> >>
>> >>> 2) My main "torture test" will be HD fullscreen video. *Will there be
>> >>> major improvement in that? *That's 2D. *Forget 3D.
>> >>
>> >> 2D video is still rendered using OpenGL if your video player supports it.
>> >
>> > I'm not aware of any video decoders using CUDA, OpenCL, or pixel
>> > shaders for video decoding; AFAIK, unless you're using VDPAU you're
>> > still using the CPU to render the video to a frame buffer. The most a
>> > video player is going to use OpenGL for is stretching that frame
>> > buffer to fit a window or screen, and possibly as a compositor to
>> > place overlays like subtitles or playback control elements..
>>
>> Agreed. Decoding is still usually done in software but offloading
>> scaling and YUV to RGB conversion helps none the less. Mplayer, for
>> example, allows a lot of customization depending on the amount of
>> texture units. With high resolution displays and slow CPUs, this can
>> have surprisingly large effects.
>>
>
> and with vlc you can use vaapi which can make use of the video decoding engine
> of the graphic chip.
>
> If the movie is using the right codec, of course.

Also depends on whether or not the graphics driver and vaapi like each
other. I'm not aware of NVidia cards supporting VA API yet.

VA API is pretty new; it'll be interesting to see where it goes, and I
hope it takes hold. Right now, the most tested and working solutions,
AFAIK, are nVidia cards and VDPAU. At least, that combination has been
working well for me for 3-4 years.

--
:wq
 
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?

Am Sonntag, 15. April 2012, 16:54:58 schrieb Michael Mol:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
>
> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 15. April 2012, 16:44:43 schrieb Florian Philipp:
> >> Am 15.04.2012 16:22, schrieb Michael Mol:
> >> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Florian Philipp
> >> > <lists@binarywings.net>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> >> Am 15.04.2012 15:18, schrieb Walter Dnes:
> >> >>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 06:30:02PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
> >> >>>
> >> >>>> Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 02:11:35 schrieb Walter Dnes:
> >> >>>>> If it's PCIe, so be it. Actually, a post that prevents me
> >> >>>>> wasting
> >> >>>>>
> >> >>>>> money is helpful <G>. Would PCIe be significantly better on the
> >> >>>>> same
> >> >>>>> CPU+GPU, or is it hype?
> >> >>>>
> >> >>>> a lot, lot lot lot better. No hype.
> >> >>>
> >> >>> I've done some looking, and I'm back with more questions. I've
> >> >>> also
> >> >>>
> >> >>> read the Nouveau-versus-NVIDIA thread. Questions...
> >> >>>
> >> >>> 1) Will PCIe 2.0 cards work in a PCIe 1.0 slot? I'm not expecting
> >> >>> 2.0
> >> >>> performance, I just want full backwards compatability. PCIe 1.0
> >> >>> cards
> >> >>> seem to be rare, and have to be ordered online, while I can pick up a
> >> >>> 2.0 card locally at a store.
> >> >>
> >> >> PCIe-2.0 is fully downward compatible to 1.1 and 1.0.
> >> >>
> >> >>> 2) My main "torture test" will be HD fullscreen video. Will there be
> >> >>> major improvement in that? That's 2D. Forget 3D.
> >> >>
> >> >> 2D video is still rendered using OpenGL if your video player supports
> >> >> it.
> >> >
> >> > I'm not aware of any video decoders using CUDA, OpenCL, or pixel
> >> > shaders for video decoding; AFAIK, unless you're using VDPAU you're
> >> > still using the CPU to render the video to a frame buffer. The most a
> >> > video player is going to use OpenGL for is stretching that frame
> >> > buffer to fit a window or screen, and possibly as a compositor to
> >> > place overlays like subtitles or playback control elements..
> >>
> >> Agreed. Decoding is still usually done in software but offloading
> >> scaling and YUV to RGB conversion helps none the less. Mplayer, for
> >> example, allows a lot of customization depending on the amount of
> >> texture units. With high resolution displays and slow CPUs, this can
> >> have surprisingly large effects.
> >
> > and with vlc you can use vaapi which can make use of the video decoding
> > engine of the graphic chip.
> >
> > If the movie is using the right codec, of course.
>
> Also depends on whether or not the graphics driver and vaapi like each
> other. I'm not aware of NVidia cards supporting VA API yet.
>
> VA API is pretty new; it'll be interesting to see where it goes, and I
> hope it takes hold. Right now, the most tested and working solutions,
> AFAIK, are nVidia cards and VDPAU. At least, that combination has been
> working well for me for 3-4 years.

va-api can use vdpau as backend

I am not using nvidia anymore and some time ago vaapi-xvba started to work for
mp4.

--
#163933
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Claudio Roberto França Pereira
 
Default PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?

Since we're talking about video playback with open source drivers, any
luck to intel onboard adapter users? I'm struggling with an HD3000
core i3 video adapter, can't playback 1080p without tearing. I was
impressed with this same adapter running a racing game on a colleagues
macbook air, smooth and aliased.
 
Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default PCI video cards, hardware accel, upported by open-source drivers?

On 17/04/12 17:11, Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:

Since we're talking about video playback with open source drivers, any
luck to intel onboard adapter users? I'm struggling with an HD3000
core i3 video adapter, can't playback 1080p without tearing.


Tearing shouldn't occur when you use Xv for playback. Are you using GL
instead? That might explain it.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org