Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Chris Stankevitz

Default Unable to downgrade media-video/ffmpeg-0.10 using package.mask

Today portage upgraded ffmpeg from 0.7.8 to 0.10. I do not want to
the new version (0.10). I attempted to indicate this to portage,
using 'man portage' as a guide, by changing package.mask:

crs-m6600 ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
# Avoid dealing with deprecated functions that break SimLib
>=media-video/ffmepg-0.10
crs-m6600 ~ #

Portage, however, appears unwilling to downgrade me back to 0.7.8:

crs-m6600 ~ # emerge -p ffmpeg

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] media-video/ffmpeg-0.10
crs-m6600 ~ #

Note: I have tried two additional representations of ffmpeg in
/etc/portage/package.mask:
>media-video/ffmepg-0.7
>media-video/ffmepg-0.7.8
but still portage will not downgrade me.

Q1: Why did none of my three ffmpeg mask attempts cause portage to
downgrade me from media-video/ffmpeg-0.10 to media-video/ffmpeg-0.7.8?

Q2: What is the proper way to tell portage to not upgrade me past ffmpeg-0.7.8?

Q3: What is the proper way to tell portage to downgrade me from
ffmpeg-0.10.0 to ffmpeg-0.7.8?

FYI: I am trying to avoid ffmpeg-0.10 as it removes a public function
I am using elsewhere.

Thank you,

Chris

Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Apr 10, 2012 3:58 AM, "Chris Stankevitz" <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today portage upgraded ffmpeg from 0.7.8 to 0.10. *I do not want to

> the new version (0.10). *I attempted to indicate this to portage,

> using 'man portage' as a guide, by changing package.mask:

> *crs-m6600 ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask

> *# Avoid dealing with deprecated functions that break SimLib

> *>=media-video/ffmepg-0.10

> *crs-m6600 ~ #

If that's your exact console output, no wonder...

ffmepg != ffmpeg

Rgds,

Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Chris Stankevitz

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> ffmepg != ffmpeg

Pandu,

I had to reread your email a few times and I finally get it.

Thank you,

Chris