Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Philip Webb

Default KDE compose key with Fluxbox

The gruesome details cb found in KDE bug 294949 .

I want to be able to enter Greek & other special characters in Kwrite/Kate
using a compose key, as I can already in Gvim.
This doesn't work with Fluxbox, but does work with the KDE desktop.
That suggests some daemon or service needs to be running,
which is started by 'startkde' but not by Fluxbox,
which then recognises the compose key & behaves accordingly.

Can anyone suggest what the daemon or service mb
& how to add it to ~/.xinitrc so that it starts with Fluxbox ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Mick

On Monday 09 Apr 2012 20:35:33 Philip Webb wrote:
> The gruesome details cb found in KDE bug 294949 .
>
> I want to be able to enter Greek & other special characters in Kwrite/Kate
> using a compose key, as I can already in Gvim.
> This doesn't work with Fluxbox, but does work with the KDE desktop.
> That suggests some daemon or service needs to be running,
> which is started by 'startkde' but not by Fluxbox,
> which then recognises the compose key & behaves accordingly.
>
> Can anyone suggest what the daemon or service mb
> & how to add it to ~/.xinitrc so that it starts with Fluxbox ?

Old school here, I add the second keyboard as Option "XkbLayout" in my
xorg.conf and Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll" to be
able to use Alt+Shift to activate it.

I just thought that I don't know how to make this work on the console without
X.
Mick

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Philip Webb

120409 Mick wrote:
> On Monday 09 Apr 2012 20:35:33 Philip Webb wrote:
>> The gruesome details cb found in KDE bug 294949 .
> I add the second keyboard as Option "XkbLayout" in my xorg.conf
> and Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
> to be able to use Alt+Shift to activate it.

That's useful if you sometimes use one language & sometimes another,
but I simply want to insert Greek words into an otherwise English text,
which I can do easily with Gvim, but can't get to work in Kwrite/Kate.

I've done some further investigation which is described under the bug above
& it seems clear it really is a bug in KDE, ie for compose-key to work
you have to be running the full KDE desktop, not eg Fluxbox,
which conflicts with KDE's claim to be a "software collection".

Any other suggestions wb welcome, but please check the KDE bug first.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb