Old 04-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Alex Schuster

Default No ISDN CAPI with new udev

Hi there!

I can no longer connect to my ISDN peers. I think the reason is a recent
change in the new udev.

I have two rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-capi.conf:

KERNEL=="capi", NAME="capi20", SYMLINK+="isdn/capi20faxCAPI",
GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"

KERNEL=="capi*", NAME="capi/%n"

The first renames /dev/capi to /dev/capi20 and creates a symlink I do
not need. The second creates a device in the capi sub-directory.

But I get this in my syslog:
Apr 08 15:34:34 [udevd] NAME="capi20" ignored, kernel device nodes can
not be renamed; please fix it in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-capi.rules:1_
Apr 08 15:34:34 [udevd] NAME="capi/%n" ignored, kernel device nodes can
not be renamed; please fix it in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-capi.rules:3_

Indeed, the udev(7) man page has this:

------------------------snip--------------------------------------------
The following keys can get values assigned:

NAME

The name to use for a network interface. The name of a device node
can not be changed by udev, only additional symlinks can be
created.
------------------------snap--------------------------------------------

An older version, like currently on http://linux.die.net/man/7/udev ,
still has this:

NAME
The name of the node to be created, or the name the network
interface should be renamed to.

So it seems that a /dev/capi gets created which cannot be renamed any
more, and so I cannot have a /dev/capi/* device.

Any ideas what to do about this? Google does not find anything when I
search for the "kernel device nodes can not be renamed" syslog message.

Wonko