FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:02 PM
András Csányi
 
Default list of kernel modules

Dear All,

I'm a little bit confused regarding modprobe command. As far as I
remember I used the command below to list all of kernel modules
independently it's loaded or not.
modprobe -l or modprobe -L

But now I can see that there is no -l or -L for this command. When
have changed this command or my memories are failed? On the other
hand, I would like to ask that how can I list all of kernel modules?

Thanks in advance!

András

--
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
--* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Michael Mol
 
Default list of kernel modules

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm a little bit confused regarding modprobe command. As far as I
> remember I used the command below to list all of kernel modules
> independently it's loaded or not.
> modprobe -l or modprobe -L
>
> But now I can see that there is no -l or -L for this command. When
> have changed this command or my memories are failed? On the other
> hand, I would like to ask that how can I list all of kernel modules?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I've always done it manually with something like "find
/lib/modules/$kernel_version/ -name '*.ko'"

--
:wq
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Joshua Murphy
 
Default list of kernel modules

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm a little bit confused regarding modprobe command. As far as I
> remember I used the command below to list all of kernel modules
> independently it's loaded or not.
> modprobe -l or modprobe -L
>
> But now I can see that there is no -l or -L for this command. When
> have changed this command or my memories are failed? On the other
> hand, I would like to ask that how can I list all of kernel modules?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> András
>
> --
> --* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
> http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
> --* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell

From 'man modprobe' here (module-init-tools version 3.16):
-l --list
List all modules matching the given wildcard (or "*" if no
wildcard is given). This option is provided for backwards
compatibility and may go away in future: see find(1) and basename(1)
for a more flexible alternative.


And, found this handy little 'replacement' of sorts (in .bashrc or
such, not tested by me):

fkm() {
local kver=$(uname -r) arg=${1//[-_]/[-_]}
find "/lib/modules/$kver" -iname "*$arg*.ko*"
-exec bash -c 'mods=("${@##*/}"); printf "%s
" "${mods[@]%.ko*}"' _ {} +

if [[ ! -e /lib/modules/$kver/kernel ]]; then
echo "reboot!" >&2
fi
}

(source: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=134393 )

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default list of kernel modules

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:02 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm a little bit confused regarding modprobe command. As far as I
> remember I used the command below to list all of kernel modules
> independently it's loaded or not.
> modprobe -l or modprobe -L
>
> But now I can see that there is no -l or -L for this command. When
> have changed this command or my memories are failed? On the other
> hand, I would like to ask that how can I list all of kernel modules?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> András
>
> --
> --* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
> http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
> --* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
>

I've been away for a few days so I'm possibly behind on an update but
modprobe -l works for me:

c2stable ~ # which modprobe
/sbin/modprobe
c2stable ~ # equery belongs /sbin/modprobe
* Searching for /sbin/modprobe ...
sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1 (/sbin/modprobe)
c2stable ~ #

c2stable ~ # modprobe -l
kernel/arch/x86/crypto/aes-x86_64.ko
kernel/arch/x86/crypto/twofish-x86_64.ko
kernel/arch/x86/crypto/salsa20-x86_64.ko
kernel/fs/fuse/cuse.ko
kernel/fs/configfs/configfs.ko
kernel/fs/dlm/dlm.ko
kernel/crypto/xcbc.ko
kernel/crypto/crypto_null.ko
kernel/crypto/md4.ko
kernel/crypto/sha256_generic.ko
<SNIP>
misc/vmci.ko
misc/vboxnetflt.ko
misc/vmnet.ko
misc/vboxpci.ko
misc/vmblock.ko
misc/vboxdrv.ko
misc/vboxnetadp.ko
c2stable ~ #
 
Old 04-06-2012, 03:02 PM
András Csányi
 
Default list of kernel modules

On 6 April 2012 16:43, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I'm a little bit confused regarding modprobe command. As far as I
>> remember I used the command below to list all of kernel modules
>> independently it's loaded or not.
>> modprobe -l or modprobe -L
>>
>> But now I can see that there is no -l or -L for this command. When
>> have changed this command or my memories are failed? On the other
>> hand, I would like to ask that how can I list all of kernel modules?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> András
>>
>> --
>> --* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
>> http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
>> --* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
>
> From 'man modprobe' here (module-init-tools version 3.16):
> * *-l --list
> * *List all modules matching the given wildcard (or "*" if no
> wildcard is given). *This option is provided for backwards
> compatibility and *may go away in future: see find(1) and basename(1)
> for a more flexible alternative.
>
>
> And, found this handy little 'replacement' of sorts (in .bashrc or
> such, not tested by me):
>
> fkm() {
> *local kver=$(uname -r) arg=${1//[-_]/[-_]}
> *find "/lib/modules/$kver" -iname "*$arg*.ko*"
> * *-exec bash -c 'mods=("${@##*/}"); printf "%s
" "${mods[@]%.ko*}"' _ {} +
>
> *if [[ ! -e /lib/modules/$kver/kernel ]]; then
> * *echo "reboot!" >&2
> *fi
> }
>
> (source: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=134393 )

Thanks Guys!

The situation at my machine is the next and it looks like I have to
use one of your handy tools.

a-home log # eix -s module-init-tools
* sys-apps/module-init-tools
Available versions: 3.5!t (~)3.6-r1!t (~)3.8 (~)3.9 (~)3.10
(~)3.11 (~)3.11.1 (~)3.12 3.12-r1!t (~)3.13!t (~)3.16!t 3.16-r1!t
{{old-linux static}}
Homepage: http://modules.wiki.kernel.org/
Description: tools for managing linux kernel modules

sa-home log # emerge -avt module-init-tools

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1 USE="-static" 233 kB
[blocks B ] sys-apps/module-init-tools
("sys-apps/module-init-tools" is blocking sys-apps/kmod-7)
[blocks B ] sys-apps/kmod ("sys-apps/kmod" is blocking
sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1)

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 233 kB
Conflict: 2 blocks (2 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/kmod-7::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
>=sys-apps/kmod-5 required by (sys-fs/udev-182-r3::gentoo, installed)
sys-apps/kmod required by (virtual/modutils-0::gentoo, installed)

(sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for
merge) pulled in by
module-init-tools


For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

sa-home log #

--
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
--* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
 
Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 PM
András Csányi
 
Default list of kernel modules

On 6 April 2012 16:57, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been away for a few days so I'm possibly behind on an update but
> modprobe -l works for me:
>
> c2stable ~ # which modprobe
> /sbin/modprobe
> c2stable ~ # equery belongs /sbin/modprobe
> ** Searching for /sbin/modprobe ...
> sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1 (/sbin/modprobe)
> c2stable ~ #
>
> c2stable ~ # modprobe -l
> kernel/arch/x86/crypto/aes-x86_64.ko
> kernel/arch/x86/crypto/twofish-x86_64.ko
> kernel/arch/x86/crypto/salsa20-x86_64.ko
> kernel/fs/fuse/cuse.ko
> kernel/fs/configfs/configfs.ko
> kernel/fs/dlm/dlm.ko
> kernel/crypto/xcbc.ko
> kernel/crypto/crypto_null.ko
> kernel/crypto/md4.ko
> kernel/crypto/sha256_generic.ko
> <SNIP>
> misc/vmci.ko
> misc/vboxnetflt.ko
> misc/vmnet.ko
> misc/vboxpci.ko
> misc/vmblock.ko
> misc/vboxdrv.ko
> misc/vboxnetadp.ko
> c2stable ~ #

See my previous letter and you can see what the situation is at my
machine. It looks like my modprobe command belongs to sys-apps/kmod
package. I installed this system 2 months ago.

--
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
--* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
 
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default list of kernel modules

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu> wrote:
> On 6 April 2012 16:57, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been away for a few days so I'm possibly behind on an update but
>> modprobe -l works for me:
>>
>> c2stable ~ # which modprobe
>> /sbin/modprobe
>> c2stable ~ # equery belongs /sbin/modprobe
>> ** Searching for /sbin/modprobe ...
>> sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1 (/sbin/modprobe)
>> c2stable ~ #
>>
>> c2stable ~ # modprobe -l
>> kernel/arch/x86/crypto/aes-x86_64.ko
>> kernel/arch/x86/crypto/twofish-x86_64.ko
>> kernel/arch/x86/crypto/salsa20-x86_64.ko
>> kernel/fs/fuse/cuse.ko
>> kernel/fs/configfs/configfs.ko
>> kernel/fs/dlm/dlm.ko
>> kernel/crypto/xcbc.ko
>> kernel/crypto/crypto_null.ko
>> kernel/crypto/md4.ko
>> kernel/crypto/sha256_generic.ko
>> <SNIP>
>> misc/vmci.ko
>> misc/vboxnetflt.ko
>> misc/vmnet.ko
>> misc/vboxpci.ko
>> misc/vmblock.ko
>> misc/vboxdrv.ko
>> misc/vboxnetadp.ko
>> c2stable ~ #
>
> See my previous letter and you can see what the situation is at my
> machine. It looks like my modprobe command belongs to sys-apps/kmod
> package. I installed this system 2 months ago.
>
> --
> --* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
> http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
> --* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
>

No kmod on my system. Looks like collisions between the two packages.

c2stable ~ # eix -I kmod
No matches found.
c2stable ~ #

To me it looks safe to emerge -C kmod and then emerge
module-init-tools if you want to go that way. I'd do an equery files
kmod and carefully study what you're getting with that package, or
else push a bug request up to that package maintainer for providing a
modprobe that's not 100% compatible.

Good luck,
Mark

c2stable ~ # equery files module-init-tools
* Searching for module-init-tools ...
* Contents of sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1:
/bin
/bin/lsmod
/etc
/etc/modprobe.d
/etc/modprobe.d/usb-load-ehci-first.conf
/sbin
/sbin/depmod
/sbin/insmod
/sbin/modinfo
/sbin/modprobe
/sbin/rmmod
/sbin/update-modules
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools-3.16-r1
/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools-3.16-r1/AUTHORS.bz2
/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools-3.16-r1/ChangeLog.bz2
/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools-3.16-r1/NEWS.bz2
/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools-3.16-r1/README.bz2
/usr/share/doc/module-init-tools-3.16-r1/TODO.bz2
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man5
/usr/share/man/man5/depmod.conf.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/depmod.d.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/modprobe.conf.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/modprobe.d.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/modules.dep.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man5/modules.dep.bin.5.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8
/usr/share/man/man8/depmod.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/insmod.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/lsmod.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/modinfo.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/modprobe.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/rmmod.8.bz2
/usr/share/man/man8/update-modules.8.bz2
c2stable ~ #
 
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Todd Goodman
 
Default list of kernel modules

* Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> [120406 11:40]:
[..]
> To me it looks safe to emerge -C kmod and then emerge
> module-init-tools if you want to go that way. I'd do an equery files
> kmod and carefully study what you're getting with that package, or
> else push a bug request up to that package maintainer for providing a
> modprobe that's not 100% compatible.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

udev-182-r2 and dracut depend on kmod.

So if the OP hasn't masked them then he needs kmod.

Todd
 
Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default list of kernel modules

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> * Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> [120406 11:40]:
> [..]
>> To me it looks safe to emerge -C kmod and then emerge
>> module-init-tools if you want to go that way. I'd do an equery files
>> kmod and carefully study what you're getting with that package, or
>> else push a bug request up to that package maintainer for providing a
>> modprobe that's not 100% compatible.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Mark
>
> udev-182-r2 and dracut depend on kmod.
>
> So if the OP hasn't masked them then he needs kmod.
>
> Todd
>

I have the newer udev masked, but I do have dracut installed and don't
need kmod here.

My system is _mostly_ stable, not ~amd64, so possibly that's part of the issue.

- Mark
 
Old 04-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Todd Goodman
 
Default list of kernel modules

* Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> [120406 12:16]:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> > * Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> [120406 11:40]:
> > [..]
> >> To me it looks safe to emerge -C kmod and then emerge
> >> module-init-tools if you want to go that way. I'd do an equery files
> >> kmod and carefully study what you're getting with that package, or
> >> else push a bug request up to that package maintainer for providing a
> >> modprobe that's not 100% compatible.
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >> Mark
> >
> > udev-182-r2 and dracut depend on kmod.
> >
> > So if the OP hasn't masked them then he needs kmod.
> >
> > Todd
> >
>
> I have the newer udev masked, but I do have dracut installed and don't
> need kmod here.
>
> My system is _mostly_ stable, not ~amd64, so possibly that's part of the issue.
>
> - Mark

Hmm, I'd expect dracut to depend on virtual/modutils-0 then but
dracut-017-r3 sure doesn't seem to:

equery d kmod
sys-kernel/dracut-017-r3 (>sys-apps/kmod-5[tools])

Wait, I looked at the ebuild and it depends on either module-init-tools
or kmod so that's why.

So it looks like just udev-182-r2 depends upon it.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Todd
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org