Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default WARNING dev-libs/icu-49.1 is BAD

Another scare. No emacs, no apache, gnome in trouble ...

don't install icu-49.1

I was going to file a bug but I see that there are a few stating that
some things fail with 49.1 so I don't know that my adding to the list
will help.

To see the list just ask for

ALL icu

I now have to reinstall everything that was installed after icu, or at
least try them to see if they fail.

allan

Old 04-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:12:58 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> I now have to reinstall everything that was installed after icu, or at
> least try them to see if they fail.

I installed LibreOffice and Chromium after icu, LO seems to work but
Chromium was useless.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sacred cows make great hamburgers.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Allan Gottlieb

On Wed, Apr 04 2012, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 14:12:58 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> I now have to reinstall everything that was installed after icu, or at
>> least try them to see if they fail.
>
> I installed LibreOffice and Chromium after icu, LO seems to work but
> Chromium was useless.

There is a bug about chromium and the new icu.
For me libreoffice wouldn't build with the new icu.
Since I have now fixed up everything else, I will try again with LO.

allan

Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Daniel Troeder

On 04.04.2012 20:12, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> Another scare. No emacs, no apache, gnome in trouble ...
>
> don't install icu-49.1
>
> I was going to file a bug but I see that there are a few stating that
> some things fail with 49.1 so I don't know that my adding to the list
> will help.
>
> To see the list just ask for
>
> ALL icu
>
> I now have to reinstall everything that was installed after icu, or at
> least try them to see if they fail.
>
> allan

Why can't ebuilds like icu be made like openssl or openldap where the
libs are not replaced, but old libs stay and a text is displayed to use
redep-rebuild and afterwards rm the old libs?

That way software doesn't suddenly brake until you reemerge half your
desktop/servers (only to reemerge everything again the next day, because
that lib gets suddenly masked).

I like the behavior of openldap and openssl, I'd like to have that for
gfx-libs that brake the desktop (like icu) too.

Please, please do it dear gentoo devs

Daniel

--
PGP key @
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x837FB8B5BB9D4887

Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 11:36:54 +0200, Daniel Troeder wrote:

> Why can't ebuilds like icu be made like openssl or openldap where the
> libs are not replaced, but old libs stay and a text is displayed to use
> redep-rebuild and afterwards rm the old libs?

They are, the old libs stay around until you emerge @preserved-rebuild...
and then everything breaks.

> That way software doesn't suddenly brake until you reemerge half your
> desktop/servers (only to reemerge everything again the next day, because
> that lib gets suddenly masked).

In an ideal world, broken software wouldn't be released at all, but ~arch
is called testing for a reason and we have now tested icu-49.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 00A: Promotional literature overflow - Mailbox full

Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Daniel Troeder

On 05.04.2012 14:51, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 11:36:54 +0200, Daniel Troeder wrote:
>
>> Why can't ebuilds like icu be made like openssl or openldap where the
>> libs are not replaced, but old libs stay and a text is displayed to use
>> redep-rebuild and afterwards rm the old libs?
>
> They are, the old libs stay around until you emerge @preserved-rebuild...
> and then everything breaks.
Revisited my aliases and saw that that's exactly what I did... *blushes*

Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 16:28:45 +0200, Daniel Troeder wrote:

> >> Why can't ebuilds like icu be made like openssl or openldap where the
> >> libs are not replaced, but old libs stay and a text is displayed to
> >> use redep-rebuild and afterwards rm the old libs?
> >
> > They are, the old libs stay around until you emerge
> > @preserved-rebuild... and then everything breaks.

> Revisited my aliases and saw that that's exactly what I did... *blushes*

Remember this is Gentoo, it may tell you the command to run to break your
system, but it leaves you to create the mess yourself - none of the
namby-pamby automated wreckage you get with the brown distro!

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 011: Window open - Do not look outside