Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
James

Default MTS player

Hello,

My new Sony camcorder produces MTS and CPI video output files.

So far I have found that Dragon Player works OK replaying the files.
I just notices that there is mplayer and mplayer2; not sure
what the differences are between the two.

mplayer2 failed to compile; so now it's off to debug that failure,
as I'm assuming that mplayer2 is better than mplayer ????

What I do is copy the files from the embedded flash memory
onto my gentoo drives and them play them natively and store
video for the long term.

What gentoo software do other folks use to replay and organize
your HD video files?

Any discussion or recommendations is welcome.

James

Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My new Sony camcorder produces MTS and CPI video output files.
>
> So far I have found that Dragon Player works OK replaying the files.
> I just notices that there is mplayer and mplayer2; not sure
> what the differences are between the two.
>
> mplayer2 failed to compile; so now it's off to debug that failure,
> as I'm assuming that mplayer2 is better than mplayer ????

mplayer2 is a fork of mplayer. I use mplayer2 (instead of mplayer)
because it has better stream seeking behavior for my use cases. I
don't remember what all the differences are, though.

Both are actively-maintained projects.
--
:wq