Old 04-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Chris Walters

Default I have a problem - sSMTP problem?

Neil Bothwick wrote:
| On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 03:29:08 -0400, Chris Walters wrote:
|
|> I just noticed in the logs
|> that periodically, something tries to send something through
|> '(myhost).adelphia.net'. This is a problem, since there is no such
|> domain. Now to the reason I think it is sSMTP (a misconfiguration, or
|> something):
|
| It could be, but only you know how ssmtp is configured. What is
| in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
|
| Incidentally, why not mention ssmtp in the Subject: it would be a lot
| more helpful that what you used and may even increase your chances of a
| solution.

Here are the contents of my ssmtp.conf file:

#
# /etc/ssmtp.conf -- a config file for sSMTP sendmail.
#

# The person who gets all mail for userids < 1000
# Make this empty to disable rewriting.
root=postmaster

# The place where the mail goes. The actual machine name is required
# no MX records are consulted. Commonly mailhosts are named mail.domain.com
# The example will fit if you are in domain.com and your mailhub is so named.
mailhub=mail

# Example for SMTP port number 2525
# mailhub=mail.your.domain:2525
# Example for SMTP port number 25 (Standard/RFC)
# mailhub=mail.your.domain
# Example for SSL encrypted connection
# mailhub=mail.your.domain:465

# Where will the mail seem to come from?
rewriteDomain=

# The full hostname

# Gentoo bug #47562
# Commenting the following line will force ssmtp to figure
# out the hostname itself.

# hostname=_HOSTNAME_

# Set this to never rewrite the "From:" line (unless not given) and to
# use that address in the "from line" of the envelope.
#FromLineOverride=YES

# Use SSL/TLS to send secure messages to server.
#UseTLS=YES

# Use SSL/TLS certificate to authenticate against smtp host.
#UseTLSCert=YES

# Use this RSA certificate.
#TLSCert=/etc/ssl/certs/ssmtp.pem

** End ssmtp.conf **

And here is the the revaliases file:

# sSMTP aliases
#
# Format: local_accountutgoing_address:mailhub
#
# Example: root:your_login@your.domain:mailhub.your.domain[ort]
# where [ort] is an optional port number that defaults to 25.

** End revaliases **

Old 04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 13:38:07 -0400, Chris Walters wrote:

> mailhub=mail

This looks like the default, you need to set to the the machine that
handles your mail, either a local mail server or your ISP's.

--
Neil Bothwick

Power outage at a department store yesterday, Twenty people were
trapped on the escalators.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Chris Walters

Old 04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 14:47:22 -0400, Chris Walters wrote:

> | This looks like the default, you need to set to the the machine that
> | handles your mail, either a local mail server or your ISP's.
>
> Could you give me an example of how to set it to my local machine - I
> don't want to use my ISP? Would this involve emerging a new package?
> Also, I don't understand why this would default to adelphia.net.

You can't set it to your local machine, because the reason for using
ssmtp is that your machine doesn't have an MTA. If you want to send mail
from the machine without going through a gateway, you need to install a
proper MTA like Postfix.

The ssmtp man page should help you understand what it does and doesn't do.

--
Neil Bothwick

Bang on the LEFT side of your computer to restart Windows

Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM
david

>> I just noticed in the logs
> |> that periodically, something tries to send something through
> |> '(myhost).adelphia.net'. This is a problem, since there is no such
> |> domain. Now to the reason I think it is sSMTP (a misconfiguration, or
> |> something):

Going to need a [snip] of this log.
Which log are you talking about?