Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM
"Les Henderson"

Default Networking problems on new install?

I recently bought a laptop that has an onboard Realtek RTL8101E NIC. I
installed a system to dual boot with Windows Vista (which was
preinstalled, which I'd really like to be able to get away from
eventually) using the amd64 2007.0 liveDVD to do a networkless
install. The LiveDVD would load the r8169 module, but networking still
would not work (dhcpcd eth0 times out). I used the LiveDVD to emerge
the 2.6.19-r5 kernel. I installed the r8101 module from the RealTek
site, and while this finally would allow me to see eth0 under my own
environment (I could see it booting from the LiveDVD as well),
networking still would not work (dhcpcd eth0 times out). Looking
around the gentoo forums I've seen suggestions to use either the r8169
or r8101 modules (depending on which post I read) using a kernel
>2.6.19 and <2.6.22, that finally the module may work. I don't have a
spare gentoo box on which I can grab this using emerge. Any
suggestions on how I can do this? My windows system has network
access, and I can mount my windows partition. Is there a better way to
get this NIC working?

Actually my ultimate goal is to get my Marvell TOPDOG wireless NIC
working, but it appears to me that I will need to get ndiswrapper and
perhaps wine for this to happen, neither of which are on the LiveDVD.
I'm hoping to get a network connection so I can get enough packages to
update the system enough to get this working and solve other hardware
issues resulting from me having a new laptop designed to work with
Vista.

--
Les Henderson
ljhender@gmail.com