Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
James

Default garmin gps & gentoo

Hello,

So I've been googling about GPS systems and interfacing
to a linux system. In portage it looks like all I
will need to use the usb with the garmin nuvi 1490
is gpsd and gpsdrive?

It shows up via lsusb.

Any discussion or other software recommendations is most
welcome.

James

Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I've been googling about GPS systems and interfacing
> to a linux system. In portage it looks like all I
> will need to use the usb with the garmin nuvi 1490
> is gpsd and gpsdrive?
>
> It shows up via lsusb.
>
> Any discussion or other software recommendations is most
> welcome.

There is no better than gpsd. Install that first, and read its
manpage. It's designed to have as few hooks and knobs as possible, and
should Just Work. At worst, you may need to install a udev so that
gpsd notices when your device is plugged in. xspeed is a good testing
utility to verify you have gpsd running properly.

#gpsd on irc.freenode.net is probably not a bad place to query, if you
run into problems specific to gpsd.

I've used gpsdrive on Ubuntu, and it works OK, I guess...I ran into a
lot of bugs, but that was a few years ago. I spent far more time with
kismet, but that serves a different role...

--
:wq