Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Todd Goodman

Default Anyone Else "Ping-Ponging" with fltk?

I've been getting the following "Ping-ponging" of fltk for maybe a
couple weeks now.

What I mean is that I have x11-libs/fltk-2.0_pre6970-r1:2 installed and
slotted.

When I emerge -avD --changed-use world it wants to slot install
x11-libs/fltk-1.3.0-r1

x11-libs/fltk is in world.

However after having both slots installed and emerge --depclean wants to
remove x11-libs/fltk-1.3.0-r1.

Then the next time I emerge world it wants to put it back, etc etc etc

Is there something screwy with the slotting?

Or have I broken my system?

Thanks,

Todd

Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:15:19 -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:

> x11-libs/fltk is in world.

Why?

> Or have I broken my system?

Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in world.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Do you reply to our surveys.?"
[X]Never [ ]Always [ ]Sometimes

Old 03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Todd Goodman

* Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [120328 11:06]:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:15:19 -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:
>
> > x11-libs/fltk is in world.
>
> Why?

Don't know. Probably forgot the -1 at some point or needed it for some
software outside of Gentoo.

> > Or have I broken my system?
>
> Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in world.

Fine, but it hardly seems that it's broken just because there's a
library in world?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
David W Noon

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:58:00 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] Anyone Else "Ping-Ponging" with fltk?:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:15:19 -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:
[snip]
> > Or have I broken my system?
>
> Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in world.

For us programmers it is often essential that we have one or more
library packages in world, since we might be using that library (or
those libraries) in projects we are developing.

The question I think Todd Goodman is trying to ask is why a package in
world should be a candidate for depclean.

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> * Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [120328 11:06]:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:15:19 -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:
>>
>> > x11-libs/fltk is in world.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Don't know. *Probably forgot the -1 at some point or needed it for some
> software outside of Gentoo.
>

>> > Or have I broken my system?
>>
>> Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in world.
>
> Fine, but it hardly seems that it's broken just because there's a
> library in world?

Remove it from world, and try an emerge -p --depclean.

Having the library in world ties you to a particular name for that
library, among (potentially) other things. That could conceivably lead
to ping-ponging if an update moves it away from some piece of that
original description, and than another update notices that it's
missing.

--
:wq

Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Todd Goodman

* David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> [120328 11:22]:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:58:00 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
> [gentoo-user] Anyone Else "Ping-Ponging" with fltk?:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:15:19 -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Or have I broken my system?
> >
> > Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in world.
>
> For us programmers it is often essential that we have one or more
> library packages in world, since we might be using that library (or
> those libraries) in projects we are developing.
>
> The question I think Todd Goodman is trying to ask is why a package in
> world should be a candidate for depclean.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave [RLU #314465]

Yes, exactly.

And more specifically, if the two versions of fltk are slotted it makes
me even more surprised that portage wants to depclean the 1.3.0 version.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> * David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> [120328 11:22]:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:58:00 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
>> [gentoo-user] Anyone Else "Ping-Ponging" with fltk?:
>>
>> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:15:19 -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:
>> [snip]
>> >
>> > Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in world.
>>
>> For us programmers it is often essential that we have one or more
>> library packages in world, since we might be using that library (or
>> those libraries) in projects we are developing.
>>
>> The question I think Todd Goodman is trying to ask is why a package in
>> world should be a candidate for depclean.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave *[RLU #314465]
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
> And more specifically, if the two versions of fltk are slotted it makes
> me even more surprised that portage wants to depclean the 1.3.0 version.

If nothing is indicating a specific dependency on that version, it
makes sense for portage to only maintain one copy of the library on
the system at one time.

If you specifically want that version kept, you can add the version
number you want kept to your world file, I think. Not sure.

--
:wq

Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Todd Goodman

* Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> [120328 11:28]:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> > * Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> [120328 11:06]:

> >> Why?
> >
> > Don't know. *Probably forgot the -1 at some point or needed it for some
> > software outside of Gentoo.

> >> Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in world.
> >
> > Fine, but it hardly seems that it's broken just because there's a
> > library in world?
>
> Remove it from world, and try an emerge -p --depclean.

No offense, but I wasn't really asking how to remove packages
from my system if I need both slots for some reason.

It wants to then depclean both versions (no surprise there.)

> Having the library in world ties you to a particular name for that
> library, among (potentially) other things. That could conceivably lead
> to ping-ponging if an update moves it away from some piece of that
> original description, and than another update notices that it's
> missing.

Yes, of course if the ebuild names change then it's a possible problem.
The same for an ebuild for a package that isn't a library.

It still seems broken for emerge to want to install both versions in
slots and then turn around and remove one of them immediately
afterwards.

Todd

Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:14:55 -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:

> > > Or have I broken my system?
> >
> > Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in
> > world.
>
> Fine, but it hardly seems that it's broken just because there's a
> library in world?

Something is depending on a particular slotted version but world has an
unslotted atom, which will pull in the highest slot. It does seem that it
is broken, but removing it from world and depcleaning will tell for sure.

--
Neil Bothwick

I just bought a microwave fireplace... You can spend an evening in
front of it in only eight minutes...

Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:17:06 +0100, David W Noon wrote:

> > Probably. There is rarely a good reason for having libraries in
> > world.
>
> For us programmers it is often essential that we have one or more
> library packages in world, since we might be using that library (or
> those libraries) in projects we are developing.

Which is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote "rarely" and not
"never". It is also the case if you are installing some out of tree
software that has dependencies in the tree, but I prefer to handle that
by creating a set as I can then unmerge the set if I remove the
software, instead of trying to remember wheat I added to world and why.

> The question I think Todd Goodman is trying to ask is why a package in
> world should be a candidate for depclean.

Because the other slot satisfies the requirements of world, which
contains an unslotted version. But then --update always tries to
installed the newest suitable version. In other words, his system is
broken.

--
Neil Bothwick

I can't walk on water, but I can stagger on alcohol.