Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 AM
William Kenworthy

Default Getting better logging for genkernel/initramfs stage

Is it possible to get an initramfs from genkernel to log its messages
somewhere as well as the console? - I am getting a failure to mount /usr
and from the few seconds the error message is on the the screen I cant
see why as the parameters it prints look good, so I am looking for a
way to go back and examine it in slow time.

The initramfs messages done appear in dmesg or /var/log/messages.

BillK

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:17:36 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:

> Is it possible to get an initramfs from genkernel to log its messages
> somewhere as well as the console? - I am getting a failure to mount /usr
> and from the few seconds the error message is on the the screen I cant
> see why as the parameters it prints look good, so I am looking for a
> way to go back and examine it in slow time.

I add set -x to the start of the init script and sleep commands at
various points so I can see exactly what is going on.

--
Neil Bothwick

Stop tagline theft! Copyright your tagline (c)

Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
William Kenworthy

On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 08:54 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:17:36 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to get an initramfs from genkernel to log its messages
> > somewhere as well as the console? - I am getting a failure to mount /usr
> > and from the few seconds the error message is on the the screen I cant
> > see why as the parameters it prints look good, so I am looking for a
> > way to go back and examine it in slow time.
>
> I add set -x to the start of the init script and sleep commands at
> various points so I can see exactly what is going on.

Thanks, sleep was what it ( and I could do with some too!) needed! - I
should have thought of that

Had a typo from previous debugging efforts for another problem in the
genkernel initramfs scripts.

Now the only errors are /tmp and sometimes /var (both on lvm) are still
busy so the lvm wont stop on shutdown - minor I think.

BillK