Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
"Daniel Ibn Zayd"

Default Minor questions: binutils-apple upgrade; pango; geany; etc.

I've been working with Gentoo Prefix/Portage on a Mac Powerbook G4 for the
past few weeks, and other than a few minor glitches easily rectified, I'm
extremely happy with the way it works and works well.

I do have a few minor questions concerning the appearance of updates to
ebuilds, as well as how gentoo determines what is available to my
system/what needs upgrading....

1) I installed portage according to the bootstrap instructions, setting
binutils-apple to version 3.2 (now 3.2.6) according to my version of
XCode. Nonetheless, doing a world update pretend run always gives me this:

Code:
[ebuild NS ] sys-devel/binutils-apple-4.2 [3.2.6] USE="-lto -test"

4.2 won't install as it is not compatible (if I understand correctly from
the bootstrap instructions); and 3.2.6 is installed with flags "one-shot"
and "no-deps"....

Is there a way to tell Portage not to attempt to upgrade here?

2) I've posted in the Multimedia item on the forums board about a certain
problem I had with Pango, a known issue that is fixed with pango-1.29.5. I
have read up on making my own overlays, but I'm wondering if there is a
way to request an addition to the tree, or expedite such an addition? I'd
rather for now rely on Portage than to get into my own interventions here.

3) This brings me to the next question, which is: Geany for Mac OSX is
available in other package managers, but is completely missing from the
Gentoo tree; --search brings up nothing at all. I imagine I can install
it, but I'm wondering first whether again it is possible to request that
it be added to the Gentoo tree?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:26:12 -0400
"Daniel Ibn Zayd" <daniel.ibnzayd@inquisitor.com> wrote:

> I've been working with Gentoo Prefix/Portage on a Mac Powerbook G4
> for the past few weeks, and other than a few minor glitches easily
> rectified, I'm extremely happy with the way it works and works well.
>
> I do have a few minor questions concerning the appearance of updates
> to ebuilds, as well as how gentoo determines what is available to my
> system/what needs upgrading....
>
> 1) I installed portage according to the bootstrap instructions,
> setting binutils-apple to version 3.2 (now 3.2.6) according to my
> version of XCode. Nonetheless, doing a world update pretend run
> always gives me this:
>
> Code:
> [ebuild NS ] sys-devel/binutils-apple-4.2 [3.2.6] USE="-lto -test"
>

> 4.2 won't install as it is not compatible (if I understand correctly
> from the bootstrap instructions); and 3.2.6 is installed with flags
> "one-shot" and "no-deps"....
>
> Is there a way to tell Portage not to attempt to upgrade here?

It wants to install into a new SLOT, which is different from a mere
upgrade.

A SLOT is a range of version that can live happily with other versions
of the same software in different SLOTS (they usually go into different
directory prefixes or have files with different names so there's no
conflict).

You want to mask the entire SLOT=4, this should do it:

echo "sys-devel/binutils-apple:4" > /etc/portage/package.mask

Adapt as necessary if you use a mask directory rather than a single
file

Log a version-bump request at http://bugs.gentoo.org

> 3) This brings me to the next question, which is: Geany for Mac OSX is
> available in other package managers, but is completely missing from
> the Gentoo tree; --search brings up nothing at all. I imagine I can
> install it, but I'm wondering first whether again it is possible to
> request that it be added to the Gentoo
> tree?

File a bug at bugs.gentoo.org. This is different from a version bump
above in that if no-one feels like maintaining it, it simply won't
happen.

Mention in your bug that you are a newbie and not up to scratch on
maintaining ebuilds yet. if the software installs just fine with the
usual ./configure && make && make install that will increase the odds
of a dev making an ebuild, so you should mention this if it's the case.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Alex Schuster

Daniel Ibn Zayd writes:

> 1) I installed portage according to the bootstrap instructions, setting
> binutils-apple to version 3.2 (now 3.2.6) according to my version of
> XCode. Nonetheless, doing a world update pretend run always gives me
> this:
>
> Code:
> [ebuild NS ] sys-devel/binutils-apple-4.2 [3.2.6] USE="-lto -test"
>

> 4.2 won't install as it is not compatible (if I understand correctly
> from the bootstrap instructions); and 3.2.6 is installed with flags
> "one-shot" and "no-deps"....
>
> Is there a way to tell Portage not to attempt to upgrade here?

Looks to me this is not an upgrade, but a second install of this package,
in addition to the existing one. The 'NS' says this package is new, and
slotted, if it were an upgrade only, the 'S' would be an 'U'. Add the -t
(or --tree) option to emerge, this can tell you what package pulls in the
new version.

You can mask the new version by putting
>=sys-devel/binutils-apple-4.2
into /etc/portage/package.mask. But I don't think this would be necessary.

> 2) I've posted in the Multimedia item on the forums board about a
> certain problem I had with Pango, a known issue that is fixed with
> pango-1.29.5. I have read up on making my own overlays, but I'm
> wondering if there is a way to request an addition to the tree, or
> expedite such an addition? I'd rather for now rely on Portage than to
> get into my own interventions here.

I'd expect the maintainer of Pango to add an ebuild for this version. If
version 1.29.5 is very new, maybe you have to wait a little for that to
happen.

> 3) This brings me to the next question, which is: Geany for Mac OSX is
> available in other package managers, but is completely missing from the
> Gentoo tree; --search brings up nothing at all. I imagine I can install
> it, but I'm wondering first whether again it is possible to request that
> it be added to the Gentoo tree?

That's weird, it shows up here:

weird ~ # eix geany
* dev-util/geany
Available versions: 0.19.2 (~)0.20 0.21 {{+vte}}
Homepage: http://www.geany.org

* dev-util/geany-plugins
Available versions: 0.19 (~)0.20-r1 0.21.1 {{debugger devhelp
enchant gpg gtkspell lua nls soup webkit}} Homepage:
http://plugins.geany.org/geany-plugins Description: A
collection of different plugins for Geany

Oh, you should definitely install app-portage/eix, if you don't have
already. emerge eix, then use eix-update to index your portage tree, and
use eix instead of emerge --search.

Wonko