Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Mark Knecht

Default InitRAMFS - boot expert sought

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
*Right now, my plan is to mask udev at what it is and either
> switch to another distro
<SNIP>

Just remember, with distros it's the device you know for the devil you
don't know...

I don't understand why any of this /usr /udev stuff is bothering you.
Do you really use a separate /usr? Aren't you on stable like me or are
you on ~amd64?

Good luck. I'm positive you'll come to your senses about this Ubuntu
nonsense! ;-)))

Cheers,
Mark

Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Dale

Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sebastian Beßler wrote:
>>>
>>> Be prepared for hard times using Kubuntu as it is now no major part of
>>> the Ubuntu family anymore. That means much less money and much less
>>> manpower. And if this issue with a init-thingy bothers you, Kubuntu will
>>> be living hell. As long as (K)Ubuntu works everything is fine, but in
>>> case of an error you just can't fix it. Everything is close tight to
>>> everything else. Change on thing and all fails.
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>>

>> Well, based on my experience with Mandrake back in the day, the init
>> thingy is going to break for me here just like it did there. I'm
>> thinking about Kubuntu but I may actually decide on something else.
>> Thing is, it appears Gentoo is going to break my system so I may as well
>> find something that I can install lots quicker to fix what is broke.
>> Kubuntu is just one option. I installed it for my brother and it works
>> fine, SO FAR.
>>
>> I may be jumping out of the frying pan into a fire but I think I need to
>> at least try something else. This is very true if I continue to have
>> issues with the init thingy and not being able to su to root. I know
>> how to use a console but I only use it when needed. That's not very
>> often and I sort of like it that way.
>>
>> Barring that, I could just put everything on / and just hope nothing
>> goes bonkers and fills it up with useless errors or something in the
>> messages file. I have had this happen before and /var was full, I mean
>> FULL. I divide things so that I don't get conquered when it hits the fan.
>>
>> One thing about Linux, it has a LOT of options.
>>
>> Oh, there is talk of moving more things on -dev. If I didn't know
>> better, I'd think someone was trying to just change Gentoo until it
>> doesn't work any more. I dunno. Maybe I'm ready for a Apple now. o_O
>
> The reason I like Gentoo (and why I've moved so much stuff to it) is
> because it lets me get in and have much finer _optional_ control over
> many things with minimal fuss. Ubuntu-derived distributions make it
> very, very difficult to change very, very many things, while retaining
> an update-stable setup. As long as you don't have to stray to far from
> their One True Way, Ubuntu (or most Linux distros, actually) should be
> fine. The annoying thing about Ubuntu is how their One True Way
> changes dramatically every six months to a year.

I like, even love, Gentoo. Thing is, if it gets to where it doesn't
work like it should for me, there's no point in me using it. If I
wanted a OS that doesn't work well for me, I'd be buying M$'s crap.
Hey, it does install fairly fast but it is pretty crappy. LOL

I have said this about meeting a new lady, time tells. If I get to the
point where I have to use a init thingy and I can't get one to work,
Gentoo is no longer for me. Working is a must have thing for my OS. I
don't mind putting in the effort to have a great install or putting in
the effort to update it but it has to boot and work.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I like, even love, Gentoo. *Thing is, if it gets to where it doesn't
> work like it should for me, there's no point in me using it. *If I
> wanted a OS that doesn't work well for me, I'd be buying M$'s crap.
> Hey, it does install fairly fast but it is pretty crappy. *LOL

What? Me worry?

Chill Dale. The Gentoo devs will get it there.

And what will you do if Ubuntu doesn't boot? Learn another distro? Nahh... ;-)

- Mark

Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 PM
"Mike Edenfield"

> From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@digimed.co.uk]

> Yes it is, I now I used to waste my time like that. Now I have a config
file that
> lists what needs to go into the initramfs and the kernel build
automatically
> pulls everything in for me. The only other thing I need is the init
script. So I
> get the benefit of hand crafting everything with the ease of automated
> building.

Are you saying your kernel build automatically rebuilds your initramfs for
you?

I'm using dracut now and I'm looking for a way to automate the rebuild and
installation of the initramfs image. I have them manually symlinked in /boot
to /boot/initramfs.img and /boot/initramgs.img.old, to match the vmlinuz and
vmlinuz.old symlinks from `make install`. Unfortunately I have to manage
those by hand, now, or the initramfs images get out of sync. I guess I could
write my own shell script to do it but is there an existing mechanism to
hook into for this?

--Mike

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM
"Mike Edenfield"

> From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com]

> Thing is, I can't get dracut to boot a system as I use it. See my other post.
> Right now, my plan is to mask udev at what it is and either switch to another
> distro, hope someone figures out why dracut isn't working or just move
> everything to / and hope it doesn't ever screw up right after I go to bed and
> full up / with errors in the messages file.

> I had this happen once. Having /var on it's own partition was the only thing
> that saved my butt.

Ok, silly question time: if this is a concern for you, why not leave /var on its own partition? Just merge / and /usr and leave it at that?

--Mike

Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:20:45 -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:

> > From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@digimed.co.uk]
>
> > Yes it is, I now I used to waste my time like that. Now I have a
> > config
> file that
> > lists what needs to go into the initramfs and the kernel build
> automatically
> > pulls everything in for me. The only other thing I need is the init
> script. So I
> > get the benefit of hand crafting everything with the ease of automated
> > building.
>
> Are you saying your kernel build automatically rebuilds your initramfs
> for you?

Yes. The image is built into the kernel file so there are no extra files
or grub lines to manage. It also means that even if I screw up the
initramfs on a new kernel, the old one will still work exactly as before.

See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt

--
Neil Bothwick

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> I like, even love, Gentoo. Thing is, if it gets to where it doesn't
>> work like it should for me, there's no point in me using it. If I
>> wanted a OS that doesn't work well for me, I'd be buying M$'s crap.
>> Hey, it does install fairly fast but it is pretty crappy. LOL
>>

> What? Me worry?
>
> Chill Dale. The Gentoo devs will get it there.
>
> And what will you do if Ubuntu doesn't boot? Learn another distro? Nahh... ;-)
>
> - Mark

That's why I want something that I can install fast. Gentoo certainly
isn't the right choice for that. If Kubuntu fails, I can just reinstall
and not format /home. It doesn't take to long and I'll be back up and
running. I already keep a fairly up to date sysrescue so having
something for some other distro wouldn't be a huge issue.

Right now, if Gentoo fails to boot because of the init thingy, I have no
idea how to fix it. None at all. I know the basics of what it does but
no idea how to fix it when it breaks. That's where I am now with regard
to my other post. I can't su to root when using the init thingy but can
when I don't use the init thingy. I have no clue where to even start to
fix it. Is it dracut itself? Is it some script? Is it some option I
gave it that conflicts with something else? I have absolutely no idea
why but I know it has something to do with me using the init thingy
since it works fine without it.

Me clueless since this is something I tried to avoid in the past and not
sure why it is needed now either.

More questions than answers for sure.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:43:38 -0500
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> >> I like, even love, Gentoo. Thing is, if it gets to where it
> >> doesn't work like it should for me, there's no point in me using
> >> it. If I wanted a OS that doesn't work well for me, I'd be buying
> >> M$'s crap. Hey, it does install fairly fast but it is pretty
> >> crappy. LOL
> >>

> > What? Me worry?
> >
> > Chill Dale. The Gentoo devs will get it there.
> >
> > And what will you do if Ubuntu doesn't boot? Learn another distro?
> > Nahh... ;-)
> >
> > - Mark
> >

> That's why I want something that I can install fast. Gentoo certainly
> isn't the right choice for that. If Kubuntu fails, I can just
> reinstall and not format /home. It doesn't take to long and I'll be
> back up and running. I already keep a fairly up to date sysrescue so
> having something for some other distro wouldn't be a huge issue.

See this mountain peak you think you see in front of you? The one you
call Everest?

You got it wrong about that mountain Dale. It's a little mole hill in
the back yard.

Make / big enough to contain /usr as well. Move stuff over and delete
the /usr partition.

Everything you fear about udev instantly ceases to exist and is no
longer a problem. Sorted.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 03-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> Right now, my plan is to mask udev at what it is and either
>> switch to another distro
> <SNIP>
>
> Just remember, with distros it's the device you know for the devil you
> don't know...
>
> I don't understand why any of this /usr /udev stuff is bothering you.
> Do you really use a separate /usr? Aren't you on stable like me or are
> you on ~amd64?
>
> Good luck. I'm positive you'll come to your senses about this Ubuntu
> nonsense! ;-)))
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

My plan was to put / on ext4, /boot on ext2 and everything else on LVM.
That would incluse /usr, /usr/portage, /var and /home. I have not done
that yet because doing it would force me to make a choice very soon
since this mess is coming pretty soon.

The reason it is bothering me is because of the mess it is creating for
me. If I am the only one it bothers, then maybe it is time for me to
use something else. That way everyone else can be happy and not have to
listen to me grumble about it. I would like to make this work and have
been missing with it for a month at least. I'm not making any progress
tho.

Right now, given the issues that I am already having, this is looking to
be a deal breaker. It reminds me of when my ex kept lying to me about
things. I can deal with it for a while but at some point you have to
decide if it is something you want to put up with or time to leave. I
left my ex, that's why she is called my ex. I didn't like making the
decision since we had a lot of other things in common but I hate being
lied to even worse. I like Gentoo a lot but it may not work for what I
want in the near future.

Also, this makes me thing back to hal. The only things is, there were
ways to get rid of hal. There is not many options on this mess. If I'm
going to make this work, it's going to have to be a long term solution,
supporting /var on a separate partition as well. That will be next I
suspect.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Dale

Mike Edenfield wrote:
>> From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com]
>
>> Thing is, I can't get dracut to boot a system as I use it. See my other post.
>> Right now, my plan is to mask udev at what it is and either switch to another
>> distro, hope someone figures out why dracut isn't working or just move
>> everything to / and hope it doesn't ever screw up right after I go to bed and
>> full up / with errors in the messages file.
>
>> I had this happen once. Having /var on it's own partition was the only thing
>> that saved my butt.
>
> Ok, silly question time: if this is a concern for you, why not leave /var on its own partition? Just merge / and /usr and leave it at that?
>
> --Mike

Post crossing but I wanted to put / on ext4, /boot on ext2 and
everything else on LVM. I been wanting to do that for a long while but
wanted to learn LVM pretty well first. I'm trying to learn this init
thingy to but it's not working to well so far.

Dale

:-) :-)