Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Philip Webb

Default amd64 fresh install woes (configu error: cannot run C compiled programs.???)

071127 Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
> I decided that the time has come to switch over to 64bit computing
> and went with fresh LiveDVD install of gentoo.
> After doing stage3 install and making syncing portage
> I'm failing updates on gcc and sandbox - both complaining:
> 'configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs'

I recently installed 64-bit Gentoo on a newly-built machine
& had something very similar happen with Gcc & Sandbox.
Try recompiling your kernel with support for
'Executable file formats/emulations -> [x] IA32'.
You may also later need for some other pkgs
'app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs' & some of its brothers.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
"Dmitry S. Makovey"

On November 27, 2007, Philip Webb wrote:
> 071127 Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
> > I decided that the time has come to switch over to 64bit computing
> > and went with fresh LiveDVD install of gentoo.
> > After doing stage3 install and making syncing portage
> > I'm failing updates on gcc and sandbox - both complaining:
> > 'configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs'
>
> I recently installed 64-bit Gentoo on a newly-built machine
> & had something very similar happen with Gcc & Sandbox.
> Try recompiling your kernel with support for
> 'Executable file formats/emulations -> [x] IA32'.

Thanks! that was it! After 3 days of fiddling I finally got my 64bit system up
and running from scratch. Couple of things that suck is the inability to
apply same "GUI style" to 32-bit apps so that they look exatly the same as
64bit (gtk-engines-qt etc.) but that's a minor issue. Most importantly all
apps do work so far.

> You may also later need for some other pkgs
> 'app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs' & some of its brothers.

that got pulled in with mozilla-firefox-bin

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator