FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
G. Sebastián Pedersen
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my printer, wich is a HP psc 1410. It is USB, so
I plugged in and follow the Gentoo howto:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml

But I seems that no thing is detected

This is my output os lsusb with the printer attached and on:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I do use other things usb hot plug, like an mp3 and a cell phone, and
work fine. So I don't think it is a Kernel misconfiguration.

The printer I'm sure it's works, but I don't know if it's was ever
installer on a Linux.

Any ideas? anybody has expirienced with this printer?

I'm kind of stuck...

Many thanks in advance.

Sebas
 
Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:24:12 -0300, G. Sebastián Pedersen wrote:

> But I seems that no thing is detected
>
> This is my output os lsusb with the printer attached and on:
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Get the easy things out the way first, try a different cable and a
different port.


--
Neil Bothwick

Aoccdrnig to a threoy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a
wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it in msot csaes. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. And I awlyas thought slpeling
was ipmorantt.
 
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM
G. Sebastián Pedersen
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

On 3/21/12, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:24:12 -0300, G. Sebastián Pedersen wrote:
>
>> But I seems that no thing is detected
>>
>> This is my output os lsusb with the printer attached and on:
>>
>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>
> Get the easy things out the way first, try a different cable and a
> different port.
>

Okey, thanks. Sorry, I don't have much of experience in these
things... last thing I wanna do is being annoying ;-)

I do already try all the usb ports with the same results... I'm gonna
try another cable then. Didn't think on that, because the printer was
functioning until couple of days ago in a Windows box... but anyway
worth the try

Thanks.

Sebas
 
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Daniel Pielmeier
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

2012/3/21 G. Sebastián Pedersen <sebasped@gmail.com>:
> I have a problem with my printer, wich is a HP psc 1410. It is USB, so
> I plugged in and follow the Gentoo howto:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
>
> But I seems that no thing is detected
>
> This is my output os lsusb with the printer attached and on:
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>
> I do use other things usb hot plug, like an mp3 and a cell phone, and
> work fine. So I don't think it is a Kernel misconfiguration.
>
> The printer I'm sure it's works, but I don't know if it's was ever
> installer on a Linux.
>
> Any ideas? anybody has expirienced with this printer?


Did you take a look at the hplip section from the printing guide? Is
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER enabled in the kernel configuration?

--
Regards
Daniel
 
Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

Am 21.03.2012 16:06, schrieb G. Sebastián Pedersen:
> On 3/21/12, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:24:12 -0300, G. Sebastián Pedersen wrote:
>>
>>> But I seems that no thing is detected
>>>
>>> This is my output os lsusb with the printer attached and on:
>>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>>> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>>
>> Get the easy things out the way first, try a different cable and a
>> different port.
>>
>
> Okey, thanks. Sorry, I don't have much of experience in these
> things... last thing I wanna do is being annoying ;-)
>
> I do already try all the usb ports with the same results... I'm gonna
> try another cable then. Didn't think on that, because the printer was
> functioning until couple of days ago in a Windows box... but anyway
> worth the try
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sebas
>

Also take a look at `dmesg`. Sometimes parts of the USB subsystem die,
leaving some ports or hot plugging nonfunctional.

Regards,
Florian Philipp
 
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Nilesh Govindrajan
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

On 03/21/2012 07:54 PM, G. Sebastián Pedersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a problem with my printer, wich is a HP psc 1410. It is USB, so
> I plugged in and follow the Gentoo howto:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
>
> But I seems that no thing is detected
>
> This is my output os lsusb with the printer attached and on:
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
>
> I do use other things usb hot plug, like an mp3 and a cell phone, and
> work fine. So I don't think it is a Kernel misconfiguration.
>
> The printer I'm sure it's works, but I don't know if it's was ever
> installer on a Linux.
>
> Any ideas? anybody has expirienced with this printer?
>
> I'm kind of stuck...
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Sebas
>

Make sure that you have hplip installed (with hpcups & scanner USE flags
enabled). Also cups with USE flag usb if you have not enabled kernel usb
printer support. I have the same piece and it's working like a charm for
the past four years
My printer is seven years old though.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com
 
Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
G. Sebastián Pedersen
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

On 3/21/12, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> Make sure that you have hplip installed (with hpcups & scanner USE flags
> enabled). Also cups with USE flag usb if you have not enabled kernel usb
> printer support. I have the same piece and it's working like a charm for
> the past four years
> My printer is seven years old though.
>
> --
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> http://nileshgr.com
>

Fantastic! It's looks like not configurin usb printer in the kernel
and rebuilding cups with USE usb did the job

Final cuestion: when I run hp-setup installed the HP PSC 1400 and not
1410, is that ok? is that Nilesh the one you have installed and
working?

Many thanks to all suggestion, I appreciate your time very much.
Sebas
 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Nilesh Govindrajan
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

On Mar 23, 2012 2:10 AM, "G. Sebastián Pedersen" <sebasped@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On 3/21/12, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> > Make sure that you have hplip installed (with hpcups & scanner USE flags

> > enabled). Also cups with USE flag usb if you have not enabled kernel usb

> > printer support. I have the same piece and it's working like a charm for

> > the past four years

> > My printer is seven years old though.

> >

> > --

> > Nilesh Govindarajan

> > http://nileshgr.com

> >

>

> Fantastic! It's looks like not configurin usb printer in the kernel

> and rebuilding cups with USE usb did the job

>

> Final cuestion: when I run hp-setup installed the HP PSC 1400 and not

> 1410, is that ok? is that Nilesh the one you have installed and

> working?

>

> Many thanks to all suggestion, I appreciate your time very much.

> Sebas

>


Glad that it helped.


Yeah the driver reports 1410 as 1400. No issues. All functions work (except scan button, which is limited to just 1-2 scanners via scanbuttond).


Also, I don't think you need kernel usb printer support if you enabled usb in cups, in fact I'm wondering how did the ebuild let you build it, because it had emitted me an error and I had to disable usb printer in the kernel.



--

Nilesh Govindrajan

http://nileshgr.com
 
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 AM
G. Sebastián Pedersen
 
Default HP PSC 1410 USB

> Glad that it helped.
>
> Yeah the driver reports 1410 as 1400. No issues. All functions work (except
> scan button, which is limited to just 1-2 scanners via scanbuttond).

Okey then, thanks for the clarification.

> Also, I don't think you need kernel usb printer support if you enabled usb
> in cups, in fact I'm wondering how did the ebuild let you build it, because
> it had emitted me an error and I had to disable usb printer in the kernel.

Yes, I try to say exactly that... usb printer disabled in the kernel
and cups with usb use... sorry, my english needs improve, I know ;-)

>
> --
> Nilesh Govindrajan
> http://nileshgr.com
>

Thanks again.
Sebas
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org