Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Default mdev: sound is only working some of the time.

Hi, all.

Got a problem with my system running under mdev. When I try to play CDs
(with aqualung feeding into PulseAudio), no sound comes out. However,
when I listen to an audio section from a newspaper page such as
www.tagesschau.de (no idea what audio format) it works.

Clearly this is something to do with mdev. I had a look at the devices
in /dev, searching for those in group audio. Under udev, I find the
following as device nodes:

adsp audio dsp mixer mixer1 sequencer sequencer2.

Under mdev, all of these bar one are symlinks into the real nodes in a
subdirectory. The odd man out is mixer1 which is a device node, but
with owner/group begin root/root (rather than root/audio).

Can anybody suggest any fix, or further areas of exploration? Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM
walt

On 03/20/2012 03:31 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> Got a problem with my system running under mdev. When I try to play CDs
> (with aqualung feeding into PulseAudio), no sound comes out. However,
> when I listen to an audio section from a newspaper page such as
> www.tagesschau.de (no idea what audio format) it works.
>
> Clearly this is something to do with mdev. I had a look at the devices
> in /dev, searching for those in group audio. Under udev, I find the
> following as device nodes:
>
> adsp audio dsp mixer mixer1 sequencer sequencer2.
>
> Under mdev, all of these bar one are symlinks into the real nodes in a
> subdirectory. The odd man out is mixer1 which is a device node, but
> with owner/group begin root/root (rather than root/audio).
>
> Can anybody suggest any fix, or further areas of exploration? Thanks!

Can you do chown root:audio on the mixer as a test?