Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Default *** urgent *** root needs non existing service 'fsck'

On 03/19/2012 03:54:35 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

Hi,

suddenly might Gentoo system doesn't boot anymore, not normally, at
least.

I get 'root' needs non existing service 'fsck' but I've no idea why.

rc-update -u tells me about this, as well.

reemerging linux-utils and openrc didn't help.

/etc/init.d/fsck is a normal file which contents looks normally.
I can invoke /sbin/fsck.

I'm very grateful for any hints to get out of this,

By comparing my broken system to a recent backup it showed up there was
a new file

in /etc/ concerning an initramfs.
qfile showed that this file has been installed by genkernel.

It's unbelievable but just emerging genkernel broke my system though
I've never used it, yet.

Just emerge -C sys-kernel/genkernel
and my system was sane again.

Helmut.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On 03/19/2012 03:54:35 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> suddenly might Gentoo system doesn't boot anymore, not normally, at least.
>>
>> I get *'root' needs non existing service 'fsck' but I've no idea why.
>>
>> rc-update -u * tells me about this, as well.
>>
>> reemerging * linux-utils and openrc didn't help.
>>
>> /etc/init.d/fsck is a normal file which contents looks normally.
>> I can invoke /sbin/fsck.
>>
>> I'm very grateful for any hints to get out of this,
>>

> By comparing my broken system to a recent backup it showed up there was a
> new file
> in /etc/ concerning an initramfs.
> qfile showed that this file has been installed by genkernel.
>
> It's unbelievable but just emerging genkernel broke my system though I've
> never used it, yet.
>
> Just *emerge -C sys-kernel/genkernel
> and my system was sane again.

Wow, that is strange. I have genkernel installed, never used it, don't
use initramfs, and have not hit this problem yet. The
/etc/initramfs.mounts file only has one uncommented line:

/usr

No idea what that's for...