Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Maxim Wexler

Default ppp-gentoo woes cont'd

Just got back from gentoo land.

Arrrgh, gmail won't let me attach files, just sits there spinning.

So I'll have to make do with pastebin.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/890854/

Is a chronicle of the commands entered. First having booted and not
changing anything, I do #ifconifg, then I do #route -n, then #pon
<isp> to connect. Then there is the running tail of the messages log,
ifconfig, route -n

Next, rmmod the drivers. I do #poff <isp> to bring down ppp0, tail the
messages, And so on...

NB: the crash of the time daemon doesn't matter. Like everything else
I need to work around the problem; in this case via a script in
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d and /ip-down.d. The problem persists if I don't start
the daemon at all.

At the bottom of the file I've included the /etc/ppp/ip-up script.

The scripts it refers to are here:

30-wins.sh
http://paste.ubuntu.com/890854/

40-dns.sh
http://paste.ubuntu.com/890857/

50-initd.sh
http://paste.ubuntu.com/890857/

90-ntpd.sh
http://paste.ubuntu.com/890857/

The first two don't apply. 50-initd.sh, I don't quite grok.

Hope somebody has the patience to go through this

MW

Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
"wdk@moriah"

Have you checked it's not DNA related? - used IP numbers rather than urls in pings etc?

Try panga/trace route to upstream IPs.

BillK

Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
YoYo Siska

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:33:27AM -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> Just got back from gentoo land.
>
> Arrrgh, gmail won't let me attach files, just sits there spinning.
>
> So I'll have to make do with pastebin.
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/890854/

hmm, pppd seems to bring the connection up ok and also to get the DNS
servers, however it might not set them correctly...

what's in /etc/resolv.conf after you connect ?

can you ping directly the other side of the ppp connection (ie
161.184.0.199 according to your logs):

ping 161.184.0.199

can you ping anything on internet through ip addresss:
ping 8.8.8.8

(8.8.8.8 are the google public dns servers)
> 30-wins.sh
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/890854/
>
> 40-dns.sh
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/890857/
>
> 50-initd.sh
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/890857/
>
> 90-ntpd.sh
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/890857/
> The first two don't apply. 50-initd.sh, I don't quite grok.

you gave the same link for the last 3

but 50-initd.sh takes care of the case, when pppd is run through gentoo
scrips... in that case, when you run /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 start, the
net.ppp0 service is marked as 'inactive' istead of 'started' because
pppd didn't connect yet... when it connects, this script marks the
net.ppp0 service as started...

btw, i newer used pon, i either used gentoo initscripts, or directly
started pppd , or sometimes used kppp from kde3

but if your problem is with dns, maybe the pon script / program doesn't
start pppd with the usepeerdns option... (you might consider also adding
the debug options to pppd options..., but you have to find out how to do
that with pon)

yoyo

Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Maxim Wexler

> yoyo

Thanks for your response. I did some research(ppp documentation is
OLD!) and saved a bunch of likely files across the partition from
ubuntu, and rebooted into gentoo.

Just for the heck of it I made myself root right from the boot console
and ran pon <isp> without touching anything else, and boom! I was
connected. The only difference from last time was that I ran pon right
from the boot console instead of what I usually do, namely running
startx, opening a terminal making myself root etc. I cannot fathom how
that would make a difference. Can anybody out there in gentoo-world?
Didn't even have to rmmod the wifi and ethx drivers.

MW

Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@gmail.com> wrote:

>> yoyo
>
> Thanks for your response. I did some research(ppp documentation is
> OLD!) and saved a bunch of likely files across the partition from
> ubuntu, and rebooted into gentoo.
>
> Just for the heck of it I made myself root right from the boot console
> and ran pon <isp> without touching anything else, and boom! I was
> connected. The only difference from last time was that I ran pon right
> from the boot console instead of what I usually do, namely running
> startx, opening a terminal making myself root etc. I cannot fathom how
> that would make a difference. Can anybody out there in gentoo-world?
> Didn't even have to rmmod the wifi and ethx drivers.
>
> MW

Since route and other things *are* getting set, I have the same strong
suspicion Bill and YoYo have... DNS is likely not getting set properly
in /etc/resolv.conf and, barring that, something may be amiss with
routing itself, which would be far less likely, but would be exposed
by YoYo's recommendations there. As for why it works if handled very
early, but not if brought up later, that seems odd to me, but...
"saved a bunch of likely files across the partition from ubuntu" ...
did that include dropping them into place on the Gentoo side, and was
resolv.conf included in that?

--
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Dale

Maxim Wexler wrote:

>> yoyo
>
> Thanks for your response. I did some research(ppp documentation is
> OLD!) and saved a bunch of likely files across the partition from
> ubuntu, and rebooted into gentoo.
>
> Just for the heck of it I made myself root right from the boot console
> and ran pon <isp> without touching anything else, and boom! I was
> connected. The only difference from last time was that I ran pon right
> from the boot console instead of what I usually do, namely running
> startx, opening a terminal making myself root etc. I cannot fathom how
> that would make a difference. Can anybody out there in gentoo-world?
> Didn't even have to rmmod the wifi and ethx drivers.
>
> MW

This brings back nightmares. It's been a while since I used dial-up but
this sounds like a permissions issue. Check /etc/group and see if you
are in ALL the following groups:

tty
uucp
dialout
utmp

You can also check the permissions of the ttyS<some number here> to see
what it is. Mine is uucp. You shouldn't have to create a group so work
with what you got for now. My devices are set to this:

root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 20 19:01 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS3
root@fireball / #

Sometimes pon/poff will need dialout for the program itself and tty to
access the ttyS* device. Then that leads to you also needing uucp.
Neat huh? Anyway, I suspect you need yourself added to the uucp group.
I seem to recall running into this once too. I also had to add myself
to utmp but I can recall why. I'm old, don't ask me to remember
everything. lol

If you have to change anything, don't forget to log out and back in.
This is very true if you are logged into KDE. If you forget that, you
will drive yourself ding bat crazy. o_O

I hope this gets you going. I want this nightmare to end. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 AM
Maxim Wexler

> This brings back nightmares. It's been a while since I used dial-up but
> this sounds like a permissions issue. Check /etc/group and see if you
> are in ALL the following groups:
>
> tty
> uucp
> dialout
> utmp

They're all in the file, if that's what you mean.

> You can also check the permissions of the ttyS<some number here> to see
> what it is. Mine is uucp. You shouldn't have to create a group so work
> with what you got for now. My devices are set to this:
>
> root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/ttyS*
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 20 19:01 /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS1
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS2
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS3
> root@fireball / #

lumby syzygy # ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Mar 20 16:25 /dev/ttyUSB0
lumby syzygy #

Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Maxim Wexler

> Since route and other things *are* getting set, I have the same strong
> suspicion Bill and YoYo have... DNS is likely not getting set properly
> in /etc/resolv.conf

I always assumed that DHCP was writing this file automatically, so I
never checked, but this time I made sure to check and viola! there
they were.

> "saved a bunch of likely files across the partition from ubuntu" ...
> did that include dropping them into place on the Gentoo side

naturlich

MW

Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Dale

Maxim Wexler wrote:

>> This brings back nightmares. It's been a while since I used dial-up but
>> this sounds like a permissions issue. Check /etc/group and see if you
>> are in ALL the following groups:
>>
>> tty
>> uucp
>> dialout
>> utmp
>
> They're all in the file, if that's what you mean.
>

>> You can also check the permissions of the ttyS<some number here> to see
>> what it is. Mine is uucp. You shouldn't have to create a group so work
>> with what you got for now. My devices are set to this:
>>
>> root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/ttyS*
>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 20 19:01 /dev/ttyS0
>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS1
>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS2
>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS3
>> root@fireball / #
>
> lumby syzygy # ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Mar 20 16:25 /dev/ttyUSB0
> lumby syzygy #

Oh, USB modem. I stayed away from those. I always used a serial modem.

Worth a shot tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 21 Mar 2012 03:00:50 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> > This brings back nightmares. It's been a while since I used dial-up but
> > this sounds like a permissions issue. Check /etc/group and see if you
> > are in ALL the following groups:
> >
> > tty
> > uucp
> > dialout
> > utmp
>
> They're all in the file, if that's what you mean.

No, he means that your user is a member of the above groups.

In my laptop (no analogue modem available) my user is only a member of uucp.

> > You can also check the permissions of the ttyS<some number here> to see
> > what it is. Mine is uucp. You shouldn't have to create a group so work
> > with what you got for now. My devices are set to this:
> >
> > root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/ttyS*
> > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar 20 19:01 /dev/ttyS0
> > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS1
> > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS2
> > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar 20 16:12 /dev/ttyS3
> > root@fireball / #
>
> lumby syzygy # ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Mar 20 16:25 /dev/ttyUSB0
> lumby syzygy #

You also need to be a member of the usb group.
Mick