Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Paul Hartman

Default udev-181 and kmod vs module-init-tools

udev-181 merge is blocked because :

[blocks B ] sys-apps/module-init-tools
("sys-apps/module-init-tools" is blocking sys-apps/kmod-7)
[blocks B ] sys-apps/kmod ("sys-apps/kmod" is blocking
sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/kmod-7::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>=sys-apps/kmod-5 required by (sys-fs/udev-181::gentoo, ebuild
scheduled for merge)

(sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.16-r1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
>=sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.2 required by
(virtual/modutils-0::gentoo, installed)

Googling, it looks like kmod is the replacement for module-init-tools,
so it should just work, unless of course any packages explicitly
depend on module-init-tools instead of the virtual...

However, module-init-tools is part of system profile and I get the
scary red text and 10-second countdown when I try to unmerge, so I
chickened out and did a ctrl-c.

Have any of you already changed from module-init-tools to kmod?
Anything to be afraid of? It's a remote machine and I can boot rescue
CD if it breaks, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Hinnerk van Bruinehsen

Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen
<h.v.bruinehsen@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> it worked flawless for me. Nothing "bad" happened.
> If it's a server you could also build a monolithic Kernel and remove
> the dependency completly since most servers don't need loadable
> modules. It even adds a little security-wise...

Thanks... I tried it, but didn't reboot yet. I was going to upgrade
kernel at the same time, it tells me this during "make install" phase:

DEPMOD 3.2.11-gentoo
Warning: you may need to install module-init-tools
See http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt

But looking in the scripts seems the test is not valid for kmod:

if ! "$DEPMOD" -V 2>/dev/null | grep -q module-init-tools; then
echo "Warning: you may need to install module-init-tools" >&2
echo "See http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt" >&2
sleep 1
fi

so I think it's a false alarm.

Now I just found
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.modules/659 this seems to
confirm it. And of course while I was compiling, the new kernel 3.3
has showed up in portage, with this problem fixed.

Now I'm rebooting, watching ping replied, fingers crossed... it's
alive! Success.

Thanks,
Paul