Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Matthew Finkel

Default Changing compilers

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:

Hi all,

* *Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel, llvm, pathscale. My situation is that I've just started my PhD which requires me to do Finite Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to find the "best" compiler for the job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX compiler is only 1 - 2% faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm doing this 1 - 2% IS important.

What I'm looking for is any feedback people may have on ability to compile the Gentoo environment, the ability to change compilers easily, gcc-config or flags in make.conf, as to whether the compiler/linker can use the libraries as compiled by gcc on a "standard" gentoo install and so on. Obviously there is much web trawling to be done to find what other people are saying as well.

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,

* * * Andrew Lowe

With regard to speed, are you looking for a faster compile time or higher optimization of the compiled code such that the*run time*is faster?

--
Matthew Finkel

Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Andrew Lowe

Quoting Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@gmail.com>:

With regard to speed, are you looking for a faster compile time or higher
optimization of the compiled code such that the run time is faster?

--
Matthew Finkel

I'm looking for the faster code, the run time to be faster - I compile
the FEA & CFD code once but will be running many jobs.

Andrew

Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel, llvm, pathscale.
My situation is that I've just started my PhD which requires me to do
Finite Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and
I want to find the "best" compiler for the job. Before anyone says "Why
bother, XXX compiler is only 1 - 2% faster than gcc", in the context of
the work I'm doing this 1 - 2% IS important.

What I'm looking for is any feedback people may have on ability to
compile the Gentoo environment, the ability to change compilers easily,
gcc-config or flags in make.conf, as to whether the compiler/linker can
use the libraries as compiled by gcc on a "standard" gentoo install and
so on. Obviously there is much web trawling to be done to find what
other people are saying as well.

You don't need to "change" compilers. You can use whatever one you like
to build your program. The compiler portage uses to build its packages
does not affect your own usage of the others.

As for the fastest one, I can only speak for Intel CPUs where Intel C++
gives me the fastest binaries.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
> * *Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
> Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel, llvm, pathscale. My
> situation is that I've just started my PhD which requires me to do Finite
> Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to
> find the "best" compiler for the job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX
> compiler is only 1 - 2% faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm
> doing this 1 - 2% IS important.
>
> What I'm looking for is any feedback people may have on ability to compile
> the Gentoo environment, the ability to change compilers easily, gcc-config
> or flags in make.conf, as to whether the compiler/linker can use the
> libraries as compiled by gcc on a "standard" gentoo install and so on.
> Obviously there is much web trawling to be done to find what other people
> are saying as well.
>
> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
> * * * Andrew Lowe

Think CUDA

Mark

Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Mark Knecht

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:32 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> * *Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
>> Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel, llvm, pathscale. My
>> situation is that I've just started my PhD which requires me to do Finite
>> Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to
>> find the "best" compiler for the job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX
>> compiler is only 1 - 2% faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm
>> doing this 1 - 2% IS important.
>>
>> What I'm looking for is any feedback people may have on ability to compile
>> the Gentoo environment, the ability to change compilers easily, gcc-config
>> or flags in make.conf, as to whether the compiler/linker can use the
>> libraries as compiled by gcc on a "standard" gentoo install and so on.
>> Obviously there is much web trawling to be done to find what other people
>> are saying as well.
>>
>> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
>> * * * Andrew Lowe
>>

> Think CUDA
>
> Mark

Sorry. Meant to include this reference: <$15 on Kindle. Reads great on
Kindle for PC.

http://www.amazon.com/CUDA-Example-Introduction-General-Purpose-ebook/dp/B003VYBOSE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1332160431&sr=8-4

Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> * *Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
>> Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel, llvm, pathscale. My
>> situation is that I've just started my PhD which requires me to do Finite
>> Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to
>> find the "best" compiler for the job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX
>> compiler is only 1 - 2% faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm
>> doing this 1 - 2% IS important.
>>
>> What I'm looking for is any feedback people may have on ability to compile
>> the Gentoo environment, the ability to change compilers easily, gcc-config
>> or flags in make.conf, as to whether the compiler/linker can use the
>> libraries as compiled by gcc on a "standard" gentoo install and so on.
>> Obviously there is much web trawling to be done to find what other people
>> are saying as well.
>>
>> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
>> * * * Andrew Lowe
>>

> Think CUDA

Yes. And as a convenient side-effect, it offers a great excuse to
upgrade your video card with some regularity. The performance of
mid-grade and high-grade video cards continues to improve rapidly.

--
:wq

Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Andrew Lowe

On 03/19/12 20:34, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:32 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
>>> Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel, llvm, pathscale. My
>>> situation is that I've just started my PhD which requires me to do Finite
>>> Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to
>>> find the "best" compiler for the job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX
>>> compiler is only 1 - 2% faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm
>>> doing this 1 - 2% IS important.
>>>
>>> What I'm looking for is any feedback people may have on ability to compile
>>> the Gentoo environment, the ability to change compilers easily, gcc-config
>>> or flags in make.conf, as to whether the compiler/linker can use the
>>> libraries as compiled by gcc on a "standard" gentoo install and so on.
>>> Obviously there is much web trawling to be done to find what other people
>>> are saying as well.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
>>> Andrew Lowe
>>>

>> Think CUDA
>>
>> Mark
>
> Sorry. Meant to include this reference: <$15 on Kindle. Reads great on
> Kindle for PC.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/CUDA-Example-Introduction-General-Purpose-ebook/dp/B003VYBOSE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1332160431&sr=8-4

I'm sorry but I'm doing a PhD, not creating a career in Academia. The
concept of writing an FEA or CFD from scratch, with CUDA is laughable, I
just don't have the time to learn CUDA, research the field, small
displacement, large displacement, dynamics, material nonlinearities,
write the code, and then most importantly benchmark it to make sure it's
actually correct. This is all bearing in mind that I have 20+ years
experience as a C/C++ technical software developer, including FEA and
CFD. I'll actually be using Code Aster, an open source FEA code that
runs under Linux.

Sorry if I sound narky, but compilers is the subject at hand, not how
to write FEA code.

Anyway, thanks for answering,

Andrew

Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Andrew Lowe

On 03/19/12 17:39, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 19/03/12 07:26, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
[snip]
[snip]

> You don't need to "change" compilers. You can use whatever one you like
> to build your program. The compiler portage uses to build its packages
> does not affect your own usage of the others.
>
> As for the fastest one, I can only speak for Intel CPUs where Intel C++
> gives me the fastest binaries.

Nikos,
Your experience with Intel is what I'm after. Aster, the FEA code I'm
going to use is not in Portage hence I will be using it's own build
system. When you've used Intel, have you just exported "CC="icc" or
something similar, as make.conf won't be used? Also, I've read somewhere
that there are libraries that you have to link against that are specific
to the Intel compiler as it does not create libraries that are
comparable with the gcc produced ones - is this true or does the
compiler now "play well" with the gcc world?

Any thoughts,

Andrew

Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Andrew Lowe

On 03/19/12 22:02, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
>>> Gentoo? By "better known", I'm referring to gcc, Intel, llvm, pathscale. My
>>> situation is that I've just started my PhD which requires me to do Finite
>>> Element Analysis, FEA, and Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD, and I want to
>>> find the "best" compiler for the job. Before anyone says "Why bother, XXX
>>> compiler is only 1 - 2% faster than gcc", in the context of the work I'm
>>> doing this 1 - 2% IS important.
>>>
>>> What I'm looking for is any feedback people may have on ability to compile
>>> the Gentoo environment, the ability to change compilers easily, gcc-config
>>> or flags in make.conf, as to whether the compiler/linker can use the
>>> libraries as compiled by gcc on a "standard" gentoo install and so on.
>>> Obviously there is much web trawling to be done to find what other people
>>> are saying as well.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
>>> Andrew Lowe
>>>

>> Think CUDA
>
> Yes. And as a convenient side-effect, it offers a great excuse to
> upgrade your video card with some regularity. The performance of
> mid-grade and high-grade video cards continues to improve rapidly.

Sorry, can't do that, I'm using epic,

http://tinyurl.com/83l5o3z

which currently ranks at 151 in the top 500 list It's amazing how
fast this list changes, 6 months ago, this machine was at 107 and 6
months before that 87.

Andrew