Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default Masking udev to postpone the update

On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:14:48 -0700
> Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I will update to the new world order, but would very much prefer to
>> postpone that for a few weeks. Is it enough to put
>>
>> >sys-fs/udev-171-r5
>>
>> in /etc/portage/package.mask ?
>
>>=sys-fs/udev-181
>
> would be better. Rather mask the first version that causes issues and
> all subsequent versions. With your suggestions, there may be
> future updates between 171 and 181 (without initrd issues) that you
> want, but you can't use them as you masked them.

Done, thanks. Thank you volker as well.

allan

Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Allan Gottlieb

On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:14:48 -0700
>> Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I will update to the new world order, but would very much prefer to
>>> postpone that for a few weeks. Is it enough to put

>>> in /etc/portage/package.mask ?
>>
>>>=sys-fs/udev-181
>>
>> would be better. Rather mask the first version that causes issues and
>> all subsequent versions. With your suggestions, there may be
>> future updates between 171 and 181 (without initrd issues) that you
>> want, but you can't use them as you masked them.
>
> Done, thanks. Thank you volker as well.
>
> allan

I am now unable to update world

Total: 26 packages (20 upgrades, 3 new, 1 in new slot, 2 reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 604,681 kB
Conflict: 3 blocks

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3[acl], required by net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.2.0-r5, required by net-im/empathy-3.2.2[networkmanager], required by gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.2.1, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
=sys-fs/udev-9999 **

The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3[acl], required by net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.2.0-r5, required by net-im/empathy-3.2.2[networkmanager], required by gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.2.1, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1, required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
# /etc/portage/package.mask:
=sys-fs/udev-9999

This does not surprise me.

I still would like to wait until the semester is over before trying
dracut as I assume there is a significant chance of an unbootable
system. I could just do nothing now and, in late May, try dracut, unmask
udev, and update world. If the world update is very hard after the long
wait. I could reinstall.

I was wondering if the following alternate procedure is safe. The hope
would be to have few enough packages not updated so that when I do try
dracut and unmask udev, an update world will eventually succeed.

1. Try emerge update world

2. Note a few of the packages that would have been updated,
say A, B, and C

3. emerge -1 --ask A B C
If no problems are reported, say yes to the --ask

4. Repeat

thanks,
allan

Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:44:53 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> I am now unable to update world
>
> Total: 26 packages (20 upgrades, 3 new, 1 in new slot, 2
> reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 604,681 kB Conflict: 3
> blocks
>
> The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
> #required by sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3[acl], required by
> net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.2.0-r5, required by
> net-im/empathy-3.2.2[networkmanager], required by
> gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.2.1, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1,
> required by @selected, required by @world (argument) =sys-fs/udev-9999
> **

Mask >=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3

% cat /etc/portage/package.mask/udev-181

--
Neil Bothwick

"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
Franklin

Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Donnerstag, 22. März 2012, 21:44:53 schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
> On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >> would be better. Rather mask the first version that causes issues and
> >> all subsequent versions. With your suggestions, there may be
> >> future updates between 171 and 181 (without initrd issues) that you
> >> want, but you can't use them as you masked them.
> >
> > Done, thanks. Thank you volker as well.
> >
> > allan
>
> I am now unable to update world
>
> Total: 26 packages (20 upgrades, 3 new, 1 in new slot, 2 reinstalls, 1
> uninstall), Size of downloads: 604,681 kB Conflict: 3 blocks
>
> The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
> #required by sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3[acl], required by
> net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.2.0-r5, required by
> net-im/empathy-3.2.2[networkmanager], required by
> gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.2.1, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1,
> required by @selected, required by @world (argument) =sys-fs/udev-9999 **
>
> The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
> #required by sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3[acl], required by
> net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.2.0-r5, required by
> net-im/empathy-3.2.2[networkmanager], required by
> gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.2.1, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1,
> required by @selected, required by @world (argument) #
> /etc/portage/package.mask:
> =sys-fs/udev-9999
>
> This does not surprise me.
>
> I still would like to wait until the semester is over before trying
> dracut as I assume there is a significant chance of an unbootable
> system. I could just do nothing now and, in late May, try dracut, unmask
> udev, and update world. If the world update is very hard after the long
> wait. I could reinstall.
>
> I was wondering if the following alternate procedure is safe. The hope
> would be to have few enough packages not updated so that when I do try
> dracut and unmask udev, an update world will eventually succeed.
>
> 1. Try emerge update world
>
> 2. Note a few of the packages that would have been updated,
> say A, B, and C
>
> 3. emerge -1 --ask A B C
> If no problems are reported, say yes to the --ask
>
> 4. Repeat
>
> thanks,
> allan

I don't use gnome (kde!) and I don't use networkcrapperdicrap.

So masking everything above -170 was absolutely painless for me.

--
#163933

Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Allan Gottlieb

On Fri, Mar 23 2012, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:44:53 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
>> I am now unable to update world
>>
>> Total: 26 packages (20 upgrades, 3 new, 1 in new slot, 2
>> reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 604,681 kB Conflict: 3
>> blocks
>>
>> The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
>> #required by sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3[acl], required by
>> net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.2.0-r5, required by
>> net-im/empathy-3.2.2[networkmanager], required by
>> gnome-base/gnome-core-apps-3.2.1, required by gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1,
>> required by @selected, required by @world (argument) =sys-fs/udev-9999
>> **
>
> Mask >=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3
>
> % cat /etc/portage/package.mask/udev-181
>>=sys-fs/udev-181
>>=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r3

Thanks. Works fine (emerge in progress). I was too pessimistic and
assumed that anything that wanted me to unmaks udev was very bad. I see
now that I should have just looked at the complaint itself.

thanks again,
allan

Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:44:53 -0400
Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 18 2012, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >> would be better. Rather mask the first version that causes issues
> >> and all subsequent versions. With your suggestions, there may be
> >> future updates between 171 and 181 (without initrd issues) that you
> >> want, but you can't use them as you masked them.
> >
> > Done, thanks. Thank you volker as well.
> >
> > allan
>
> I am now unable to update world
>
> Total: 26 packages (20 upgrades, 3 new, 1 in new slot, 2
> reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 604,681 kB Conflict: 3
> blocks

I see you already have the solution from later in the thread.

Just don't do what I did and act like a dumbass like so:

1. emerge world including a couple days ago including udev-182
2. don't read the elog
3. miss the part where it says CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y is required (and you
don't have it enabled)
4. don't run conf-update
5. walk away in blissful unawareness never rebooting just suspend/resume

Then:

1. Crawl out of bed one fine morning facing a deadline
2. Approach computer
3. Shit. The bloody thing hit some weird segfault again overnight and
killed X
4. Hmmmmmmmmm, virtual consoles don't seem to work. Machine frozen
5. Press big red power button

Only to find:

1. Nothing starts up properly, machine essentially useless
2. Oh dear. Other than /, nothing mounts. /dev is almost empty
3. That deadline didn't go away

To fix:

1. reboot into maintenance mode
2. <phew>, /usr is part of / so no mounting issues for that
3. find copy of elog, read it
4. configure and build kernel
5. Reboot
6. Didn't work. Scratch head, look around. Oh, hang on, the kernel was
installed to /boot on /, not the real /boot as that couldn't mount
7. Reboot, fiddle with grub menu, desperately trying to remember how
that shit all works again
8. Finally grub finds the new kernel and boots
9. Lots of errors, not quite the same as before. Something
about /sbin/udevd not found. Ohhhhhh shit......
10. Reboot again to maintenance mode
11. Poke around, bang head. Idiot! You forgot to run conf-update
12. conf-update lets everything else know udevd is now
in /lib64/udev/udevd
13. reboot. Finally, everything works again.
14. Realize new kernel is now in a directory underneath the /boot mount
(exactly where it can't be gotten to). Read man mount, search for --bind
15. Curse, swear, now 90 minutes late. Get on motorbike and roar off to
work in a foul mood dicing death by riding between motorcars causing
taking 2 old ladies by surprise and scaring 3 wandering cats witless

Moral of the story:

Read the elog right now and do what it says :-)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:44:53 -0400
> Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

>>> Done, thanks. Thank you volker as well.
>>>
>>> allan
>>
>> I am now unable to update world
>>
>> Total: 26 packages (20 upgrades, 3 new, 1 in new slot, 2
>> reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 604,681 kB Conflict: 3
>> blocks
>>

> I see you already have the solution from later in the thread.
>
> Just don't do what I did and act like a dumbass like so:
>
> 1. emerge world including a couple days ago including udev-182
> 2. don't read the elog
> 3. miss the part where it says CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y is required (and you
> don't have it enabled)
> 4. don't run conf-update
> 5. walk away in blissful unawareness never rebooting just suspend/resume
>
> Then:
>
> 1. Crawl out of bed one fine morning facing a deadline
> 2. Approach computer
> 3. Shit. The bloody thing hit some weird segfault again overnight and
> killed X
> 4. Hmmmmmmmmm, virtual consoles don't seem to work. Machine frozen
> 5. Press big red power button
>
> Only to find:
>
> 1. Nothing starts up properly, machine essentially useless
> 2. Oh dear. Other than /, nothing mounts. /dev is almost empty
> 3. That deadline didn't go away
>
> To fix:
>
> 1. reboot into maintenance mode
> 2. <phew>, /usr is part of / so no mounting issues for that
> 3. find copy of elog, read it
> 4. configure and build kernel
> 5. Reboot
> 6. Didn't work. Scratch head, look around. Oh, hang on, the kernel was
> installed to /boot on /, not the real /boot as that couldn't mount
> 7. Reboot, fiddle with grub menu, desperately trying to remember how
> that shit all works again
> 8. Finally grub finds the new kernel and boots
> 9. Lots of errors, not quite the same as before. Something
> about /sbin/udevd not found. Ohhhhhh shit......
> 10. Reboot again to maintenance mode
> 11. Poke around, bang head. Idiot! You forgot to run conf-update
> 12. conf-update lets everything else know udevd is now
> in /lib64/udev/udevd
> 13. reboot. Finally, everything works again.
> 14. Realize new kernel is now in a directory underneath the /boot mount
> (exactly where it can't be gotten to). Read man mount, search for --bind
> 15. Curse, swear, now 90 minutes late. Get on motorbike and roar off to
> work in a foul mood dicing death by riding between motorcars causing
> taking 2 old ladies by surprise and scaring 3 wandering cats witless
>

> Moral of the story:
>
> Read the elog right now and do what it says :-)

Dang, maybe Gentoo is for me. I have those days too. Remember hal?

Hmmmm, if you have those days, maybe I am smarter than I think. ROFL

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint: