Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Mark Knecht

Default quickpkg on a complete system?

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> * I have a system in which I've never used the buildpkg feature so I
> have no packages. The machine is completely up to date - i.e. - emerge
> -DuN @world does nothing new.
>
> * I know if I turn on buildpkg and do an emerge -e @world, assuming
> all the compiling completes without error, emerge will create packages
> for everything that's install. That however takes lots of time.
>
> * I was reading about the quickpkg feature which supposedly creates
> packages from what's already installed, but I'm not sure how to
> actually run that for a complete system like this. If I put
> FEATURES="quickpkg" in make.conf and run emerge -e @world, will emerge
> simply make the packages for anything that's already installed, but
> not actually compile the packages themselves?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

OK, silly confusion on my part. quickpkg isn't a portage feature, it's
a Python script installed as part of portage.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:18:22 -0700
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a system in which I've never used the buildpkg feature so I
> have no packages. The machine is completely up to date - i.e. - emerge
> -DuN @world does nothing new.
>
> I know if I turn on buildpkg and do an emerge -e @world, assuming
> all the compiling completes without error, emerge will create packages
> for everything that's install. That however takes lots of time.
>
> I was reading about the quickpkg feature which supposedly creates
> packages from what's already installed, but I'm not sure how to
> actually run that for a complete system like this. If I put
> FEATURES="quickpkg" in make.conf and run emerge -e @world, will emerge
> simply make the packages for anything that's already installed, but
> not actually compile the packages themselves?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

RTFM :-)

"man quickpkg" lists "quickpkg @system" in the examples section.

"quickpkg @world" works and does what you expect - tar and gzips the
entire package as it is on-disk. As to what is in the quickpkg, it's
the same list as you get from "equery files <pkg_name>.

Thereafter, enable FEATURES="quickpkg" and portage will keep everything
new up to date.

Also read up on eclean, which helps to remove old quickpkg cruft

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:18:22 -0700
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> * *I have a system in which I've never used the buildpkg feature so I
>> have no packages. The machine is completely up to date - i.e. - emerge
>> -DuN @world does nothing new.
>>
>> * *I know if I turn on buildpkg and do an emerge -e @world, assuming
>> all the compiling completes without error, emerge will create packages
>> for everything that's install. That however takes lots of time.
>>
>> * *I was reading about the quickpkg feature which supposedly creates
>> packages from what's already installed, but I'm not sure how to
>> actually run that for a complete system like this. If I put
>> FEATURES="quickpkg" in make.conf and run emerge -e @world, will emerge
>> simply make the packages for anything that's already installed, but
>> not actually compile the packages themselves?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>

> RTFM :-)
>
> "man quickpkg" lists "quickpkg @system" in the examples section.

Yeah, my bad and you're right about that, although if you thought it
was a portage FEATURE and 'man buildpkg' doesn't return anything then
you wouldn't even go looking for man quickpkg. (Or I didn't)

> "quickpkg @world" works and does what you expect - tar and gzips the
> entire package as it is on-disk. As to what is in the quickpkg, it's
> the same list as you get from "equery files <pkg_name>.

Yep, already done for the system in question. The first pass

quickpkg --include-config=y @world

only built the files specified by the @world set and not all the deep
stuff so I ended up with

eix -Ic --only-names | xargs quickpkg --include-config=y

which seems to doing the job, although it's still running so I'll have
to count the packages when it completes.

> Thereafter, enable FEATURES="quickpkg" and portage will keep everything
> new up to date.

Actually I suspect that's supposed to be FEATURES="buildpkg" which I
use on other machines here at home.

> Also read up on eclean, which helps to remove old quickpkg cruft

Yep, already use it.

> --
> Alan McKinnnon
> alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Thanks!

- Mark

Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Pandu Poluan

> eix -Ic --only-names | xargs quickpkg --include-config=y

> which seems to doing the job, although it's still running so I'll have

> to count the packages when it completes.

I personally would use xargs' -P and -n options to introduce some parallelism. But I haven't actually tested that :-)

Rgds,