Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Mark Knecht

Default quickpkg on a complete system?

Hi,
I have a system in which I've never used the buildpkg feature so I
have no packages. The machine is completely up to date - i.e. - emerge
-DuN @world does nothing new.

I know if I turn on buildpkg and do an emerge -e @world, assuming
all the compiling completes without error, emerge will create packages
for everything that's install. That however takes lots of time.

I was reading about the quickpkg feature which supposedly creates
packages from what's already installed, but I'm not sure how to
actually run that for a complete system like this. If I put
FEATURES="quickpkg" in make.conf and run emerge -e @world, will emerge
simply make the packages for anything that's already installed, but
not actually compile the packages themselves?

Thanks,
Mark