Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 AM
Colleen Beamer

Default Assistance if possible

Hi,

All of you guys that are more experienced and technical than I am will
probably laugh at me. However ....

Today, I wanted to update my computer. I got all kinds of messages
related to kde stuff. One my one, I unmerged the offending packages and
added the line to my package.keywords file so that an upgrade of a
package masked by keyword would be installed.

However, activitymanager can't be reinstalled because there isn't an
upgrade to 4.8.1. Since I went about things the way I did, I can't get
this package installed because everything else is upgraded to 4.8.1 and
activitymanager's latest version is 4.7.4.

I've done revdep-rebuild and everything is fine there. Can I function
without this package until I can get it upgraded to the same level as
everything else on my system?

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

However, activitymanager can't be reinstalled because there isn't an
upgrade to 4.8.1. Since I went about things the way I did, I can't get
this package installed because everything else is upgraded to 4.8.1 and
activitymanager's latest version is 4.7.4.

I've done revdep-rebuild and everything is fine there. Can I function
without this package until I can get it upgraded to the same level as
everything else on my system?

Is there something that pulls activitymanager as a dependency? Why do
you want to install it? Does portage try to install it automatically?
If not, you don't need it. If yes, use the -t option of emerge to see
which package is trying to pull it.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:15:10 -0400
Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> All of you guys that are more experienced and technical than I am will
> probably laugh at me. However ....
>
> Today, I wanted to update my computer. I got all kinds of messages
> related to kde stuff. One my one, I unmerged the offending packages
> and added the line to my package.keywords file so that an upgrade of a
> package masked by keyword would be installed.
>
> However, activitymanager can't be reinstalled because there isn't an
> upgrade to 4.8.1. Since I went about things the way I did, I can't
> get this package installed because everything else is upgraded to
> 4.8.1 and activitymanager's latest version is 4.7.4.

I believe activitymanager is now part of kactivities.

So just unmerge activitymanager and let the ebuilds figure it out.

You probably have activitymanager in world so portage tries to
explicitly pull it in.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 03/18/12 08:55, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:15:10
-0400

> Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,

>> All of you guys that are more experienced and technical
than I am will

>> probably laugh at me. However ....

>> Today, I wanted to update my computer. I got all kinds of
messages

>> related to kde stuff. One my one, I unmerged the
offending packages

>> and added the line to my package.keywords file so that an
upgrade of a

>> package masked by keyword would be installed.

>> However, activitymanager can't be reinstalled because
there isn't an

>> upgrade to 4.8.1. Since I went about things the way I
did, I can't

>> get this package installed because everything else is
upgraded to

>> 4.8.1 and activitymanager's latest version is 4.7.4.

> I believe activitymanager is now part of kactivities.

> So just unmerge activitymanager and let the ebuilds figure it
out.

> You probably have activitymanager in world so portage tries

> explicitly pull it in.

Yes, I have activity manager in world, but I've unmasked all kde
packages for version 4.8.1 and because of that, I can't get
activitymanager installed because the latest verion for that is only
4.7.4 and I get told kactivities-4.8.1 blocks activitymanager..* I
can get into KDE after my upgrade, but I can't move windows around,
nor close or resize them.* So I assume activitymanager is somehow
needed.

Regards,

Colleen

Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:10:07 -0400
Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/18/12 08:55, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:15:10 -0400
> > Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> All of you guys that are more experienced and technical than I am
> >> will probably laugh at me. However ....
> >>
> >> Today, I wanted to update my computer. I got all kinds of messages
> >> related to kde stuff. One my one, I unmerged the offending packages
> >> and added the line to my package.keywords file so that an upgrade
> >> of a package masked by keyword would be installed.
> >>
> >> However, activitymanager can't be reinstalled because there isn't
> >> an upgrade to 4.8.1. Since I went about things the way I did, I
> >> can't get this package installed because everything else is
> >> upgraded to 4.8.1 and activitymanager's latest version is 4.7.4.
> >
> > I believe activitymanager is now part of kactivities.
> >
> > So just unmerge activitymanager and let the ebuilds figure it out.
> >
> > You probably have activitymanager in world so portage tries to
> > explicitly pull it in.
> >

> Yes, I have activity manager in world, but I've unmasked all kde
> packages for version 4.8.1 and because of that, I can't get
> activitymanager installed because the latest verion for that is only
> 4.7.4 and I get told kactivities-4.8.1 blocks activitymanager.. I can
> get into KDE after my upgrade, but I can't move windows around, nor
> close or resize them. So I assume activitymanager is somehow needed.

Not quite. activitymanager is being pulled in not because it is needed,
but because you told portage to do it regardless of what portage thinks
(that's what happens when you put things in world).

In this case, portage actually does know better than you.

Just unmerge activitymanager entirely and let portage figure it out.
The software you want will be installed but as part of kactivities
(apparently the variosu KDE and Gentoo devs moved stuff around and
renamed things. It happens.)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Alex Schuster

Colleen Beamer writes:

> Yes, I have activity manager in world, but I've unmasked all kde
> packages for version 4.8.1 and because of that, I can't get
> activitymanager installed because the latest verion for that is only
> 4.7.4 and I get told kactivities-4.8.1 blocks activitymanager.. I can
> get into KDE after my upgrade, but I can't move windows around, nor
> close or resize them. So I assume activitymanager is somehow needed.

KDE 4.8.1 is running file here, without kde-base/activitymanager being
installed. It's probably part of kactivities now, I had it installed
(autoamtically) in KDE 4.7.4.

Anyway, moving windows around is KWin's responsibility, and has nothing
to do with activities, they are more about switching sessions on the fly.
I'd rename my ~/.kde4 directory and try again, maybe you have some
corrupted config. Or try as another user. Does the problem persist?

Wonko

Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 03/18/12 09:32, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Colleen Beamer writes:
>
>> Yes, I have activity manager in world, but I've unmasked all kde
>> packages for version 4.8.1 and because of that, I can't get
>> activitymanager installed because the latest verion for that is only
>> 4.7.4 and I get told kactivities-4.8.1 blocks activitymanager.. I can
>> get into KDE after my upgrade, but I can't move windows around, nor
>> close or resize them. So I assume activitymanager is somehow needed.
>
> Anyway, moving windows around is KWin's responsibility, and has nothing
> to do with activities, they are more about switching sessions on the fly.
> I'd rename my ~/.kde4 directory and try again, maybe you have some
> corrupted config. Or try as another user. Does the problem persist?
>
> Wonko

Thanks! Problems solved. I may have been using Gentoo for a while, but
every once in a while, I have a learning curve. To explain: Yesterday,
when I tried to update world, I got a bunch of messages because
kde-4.7.4 packages were installed and some upgrades wanted changes to
USE flags. I resolved the problem by unmerging and installing the
masked packages for kde-4.8.1.

Allan McKinnon was right in that I told emerge to bring in activity
manager - despite the fact that I had unmerged version 4.7.4, I thought
I needed it so had it in my package.keywords file. When I couldn't move
windows around, I had an "epiphany" and realized that there must be
other kde-base packages that needed to be upgraded to 4.8.1 because I
had installed kdebase-meta when I was installing Linux on this computer
back last summer when it was new. Anyway, I did the upgrades necessary
for kdebase-meta and now everything is back to normal.

So, thanks again, everyone that responded.

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org