Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Grant

Default Power management or something?

I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines. Are
there power management settings somewhere or something similar? I'm
on xfce4.

- Grant

Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Grant

> I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
> trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
> into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines. *Are
> there power management settings somewhere or something similar? *I'm
> on xfce4.
>
> - Grant

I found another clue. It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
even for a moment. Is this some kind of sleep mode? Might I be able
to disable it in the kernel somewhere?

- Grant

Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
>> trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
>> into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines. *Are
>> there power management settings somewhere or something similar? *I'm
>> on xfce4.
>>
>> - Grant
>
> I found another clue. *It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
> even for a moment. *Is this some kind of sleep mode? *Might I be able
> to disable it in the kernel somewhere?
>
> - Grant

I had that same issue with closing the screen. I think my solution was
a KDE setting which won't help you unless there is something similar
with XFCE.

I'll boot the laptop and see if I Can spot what I did. Ah the things
we have time for when watching Hulu on a Sunday morning... ;-)

Back later,
Mark

Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a fresh install of Gentoo on my laptop and I'm having some
>>> trouble with the backlight that I think is related to the screen going
>>> into some sort of power save mode or something along those lines. *Are
>>> there power management settings somewhere or something similar? *I'm
>>> on xfce4.
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> I found another clue. *It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
>> even for a moment. *Is this some kind of sleep mode? *Might I be able
>> to disable it in the kernel somewhere?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> I had that same issue with closing the screen. I think my solution was
> a KDE setting which won't help you unless there is something similar
> with XFCE.
>
> I'll boot the laptop and see if I Can spot what I did. Ah the things
> we have time for when watching Hulu on a Sunday morning... ;-)
>
> Back later,
> Mark

Keeping in mind that I'm _not_ using or even testing backlighting, the
place where I controlled whether the laptop got screen locked or
hibernated was in the KDE System Settings app where I disabled all
such stuff. Now the screen just goes black when the lid is closed,
saving some power, but nothing locks, sleeps, hibernates or any other
such response.

I did nothing in the kernel that I see.

HTH,
Mark

Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Grant

>>> I found another clue. *It happens whenever I shut my laptop screen,
>>> even for a moment. *Is this some kind of sleep mode? *Might I be able
>>> to disable it in the kernel somewhere?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>>

>> I had that same issue with closing the screen. I think my solution was
>> a KDE setting which won't help you unless there is something similar
>> with XFCE.
>>
>> I'll boot the laptop and see if I Can spot what I did. Ah the things
>> we have time for when watching Hulu on a Sunday morning... ;-)
>>
>> Back later,
>> Mark
>
> Keeping in mind that I'm _not_ using or even testing backlighting, the
> place where I controlled whether the laptop got screen locked or
> hibernated was in the KDE System Settings app where I disabled all
> such stuff. Now the screen just goes black when the lid is closed,
> saving some power, but nothing locks, sleeps, hibernates or any other
> such response.
>
> I did nothing in the kernel that I see.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

Thanks Mark. I installed xfce4-power-manager thinking it would do the
trick for sure, but unfortunately the behavior is the same even after
messing with the settings. Weird....

- Grant