Old 03-17-2012, 02:48 PM

Default Heads Up - sys-apps/net-tools-1.60_p20120127084908 might break your system -- openvpn still fails

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:32:09PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> I've anyone is hit by this and doesn't have a way to download an older
> version anymore, the solution is fairly simple:
>
> ln -s /bin/ifconfig /sbin/
> /etc/init.d/net.lo restart
> /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
> rm /sbin/ifconfig
> [sync and update world]
>
> (Substitute "eth0" with whatever you're using.)

This appears to help with eth0 etc, but my openvpn fails with

Linux ifconfig failed: could not execute external program

Leaving the sbin symlink in place fixes this.

I didn't see any gentoo bugs for this -- I can create a new one, but
is there another one related to the symlink that I should add this
note to?

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 08:48:08 -0700, felix@crowfix.com wrote:

> This appears to help with eth0 etc, but my openvpn fails with
>
> Linux ifconfig failed: could not execute external program
>
> Leaving the sbin symlink in place fixes this.
>
> I didn't see any gentoo bugs for this -- I can create a new one, but
> is there another one related to the symlink that I should add this
> note to?

There is a bug, the "fix" is to re-emerge openvpn. Apparently openvpn
has hardcoded paths for ifconfig and friends, which are set when it is
compiled, based on the locations at the time. Re-emerging builds it with
the new locations.

--
Neil Bothwick

Kludge: (v., adj., or n.) to fix a program in the usual way.