Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 AM
"Bruce Hill, Jr."

Default The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!

This item just appeared after eix-sync:

HTPC ~ # eselect news read
2012-03-16-udev-181-unmasking
Title udev-181 unmasking
Author William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org>
Posted 2012-03-16
Revision 1

udev-181 is being unmasked on 2012-03-19.

This news item is to inform you that once you upgrade to a version of
udev >=181, if you have /usr on a separate partition, you must boot your
system with an initramfs which pre-mounts /usr.

An initramfs which does this is created by
>=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
>=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.

Also, if you are using OpenRC, you must upgrade to >= openrc-0.9.9.

For more information on why this has been done, see the following URL:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

Happy Computer Users, systemd is on your horizon.

Houston, we have a problem!
--
Happy Penguin Computers >`)
126 Fenco Drive (

Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
<daddy@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:
> *This item just appeared after eix-sync:
>
> HTPC ~ # eselect news read
> 2012-03-16-udev-181-unmasking
> *Title * * * * * * * * * * udev-181 unmasking
> *Author * * * * * * * * * *William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org>
> *Posted * * * * * * * * * *2012-03-16
> *Revision * * * * * * * * *1
>
> udev-181 is being unmasked on 2012-03-19.
>
> This news item is to inform you that once you upgrade to a version of
> udev >=181, if you have /usr on a separate partition, you must boot your
> system with an initramfs which pre-mounts /usr.
>
> An initramfs which does this is created by
>>=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
>>=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
> sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.
>
> Also, if you are using OpenRC, you must upgrade to >= openrc-0.9.9.
>
> For more information on why this has been done, see the following URL:
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>

> Happy Computer Users, systemd is on your horizon.
>
> Houston, we have a problem!

You can always try Walter's et. al. mdev replacement:

http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 03-17-2012, 03:37 AM
"Bruce Hill, Jr."

--

On March 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
> >

> > Happy Computer Users (for now), systemd is on your horizon.
> >
> > Houston, we have a problem!
>
> You can always try Walter's et. al. mdev replacement:
>
> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/

Sad fact is systemd will soon be required in Gentoo.

Forget the udev/mdev argument ... systemd is poorly coded, and we're
getting so much further from a good, reliable DE to compete with the likes
of Windows 7. Just horse manure DEs in Gentoo now.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
<daddy@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:
> *--
>

> On March 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>> >

>> > Happy Computer Users (for now), systemd is on your horizon.
>> >
>> > Houston, we have a problem!
>>
>> You can always try Walter's et. al. mdev replacement:
>>
>> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/
>

> Sad fact is systemd will soon be required in Gentoo.

I don't think so. Not in the near future at least. Of course, *I*
don't think that will be a sad fact, but that's another matter

> Forget the udev/mdev argument ...

Oh, I have never cared that much for it

> systemd is poorly coded,

Many people think that it tries to solve a problem that "doesn't
exists", or that it has failures in its design. However, even the more
fervent critics agree that Lennart is a really good programmer. You
are the first person I read saying that systemd is "poorly coded".

In other words: [citation needed]

> and we're
> getting so much further from a good, reliable DE to compete with the likes
> of Windows 7. Just horse manure DEs in Gentoo now.

I would say that we are actually better than them in several ways.

Regards.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Mar 17, 2012 11:15 AM, "Bruce Hill, Jr." <daddy@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:

> *This item just appeared after eix-sync:

> HTPC ~ # eselect news read

> 2012-03-16-udev-181-unmasking

> *Title * * * * * * * * * * udev-181 unmasking

> *Author * * * * * * * * * *William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org>

> *Posted * * * * * * * * * *2012-03-16

> *Revision * * * * * * * * *1

> udev-181 is being unmasked on 2012-03-19.

> This news item is to inform you that once you upgrade to a version of

> udev >=181, if you have /usr on a separate partition, you must boot your

> system with an initramfs which pre-mounts /usr.

> An initramfs which does this is created by

> >=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or

> >=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be

> sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.

> Also, if you are using OpenRC, you must upgrade to >= openrc-0.9.9.

> For more information on why this has been done, see the following URL:

> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

> Happy Computer Users, systemd is on your horizon.

> Houston, we have a problem!

All my servers are now happily running mdev, USE="-udev", and sys-fs/udev in package.mask...

Houston... we've landed. And it's beautiful here... there's lots of work to do to prepare the colony, but it's a whole new horizon... a new world! ;-)

Rgds,

Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 17/03/12 06:11, Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:

[...]

No, we don't. I hope systemd arrives soon. It's the best init system I
ever saw.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Andrea Conti

> This news item is to inform you that once you upgrade to a version of
> udev >=181, if you have /usr on a separate partition, you must boot your
> system with an initramfs which pre-mounts /usr.

[...]

> Happy Computer Users, systemd is on your horizon.

The problem, if you really want to call this a problem, is with udev,
not OpenRC. Switching to systemd is not going to solve it.

Personally I stopped bothering with a separate /usr ages ago, so I don't
really care.

andrea

Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 AM
"Bruce Hill, Jr."

On March 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM Andrea Conti <alyf@alyf.net> wrote:

> > This news item is to inform you that once you upgrade to a version of
> > udev >=181, if you have /usr on a separate partition, you must boot
your
> > system with an initramfs which pre-mounts /usr.
>
> [...]
>
> > Happy Computer Users, systemd is on your horizon.
>
> The problem, if you really want to call this a problem, is with udev,
> not OpenRC. Switching to systemd is not going to solve it.
>
> Personally I stopped bothering with a separate /usr ages ago, so I don't
> really care.
>
> andrea

Bravo!

It's (systemd) the same mentality as those who started Ubuntu to attract
Windoze Weenies because Gentoo, or even Slackware, was too hard for them to
install.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:05 AM
"Bruce Hill, Jr."

On March 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:11:23AM -0400, Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
> > This item just appeared after eix-sync:
>
> > udev-181 is being unmasked on 2012-03-19.
>
> Why is he in such a hurry?
>
> > For more information on why this has been done, see the following URL:
> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>
> Yuck!
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

This time, it truly is upstream.

They're rushing headlong to get all of us to use POS systems like Fedora
and Ubuntu.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Tanstaafl

On 2012-03-17 12:11 AM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
<daddy@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:

An initramfs which does this is created by

=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be

sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.

Ok, I have never used genkernel, and have no desire to...

I have no idea what dracut is or how to use it...

I have a remote system that has /usr on a separate partition.

So...

How do I find out if I am actually *using* an initramfs right now (I
know it is built into the kernel), and

If I am not, how do I do this without using genkernel? Is dracut t he
only other option? Is it easy/trivial to set one up manually?

I cannot imagine that gentoo is just going to throw me to the wolves
like this without providing *in-depth* instructions on how to make sure
my system will boot after this update, like they did with the
baselayout-2 update...