Old 03-17-2012, 01:51 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up

The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more
about how mdev works.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Dale

Walter Dnes wrote:
> The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
> of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
> Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
> permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more
> about how mdev works.

Looks fine on Seamonkey2. Glad you got a web page. Another step taken.
;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Mar 17, 2012 9:54 AM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> *The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at

> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ *validator.w3.org complains about a couple

> of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and

> Midori. *Any comments from users of other browsers? *The page will be

> permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more

> about how mdev works.

Walter,

I've been reading on mdev, and I think there are some things we ought to try :

1. *IMPORTANT* make sure there's /etc/mdev.conf !

2. Adding 'mdev -s' into /sbin/linuxrc after mounting sys/proc.

man busybox says that 'mdev -s' populates /dev with devices it detects during boot. Maybe we won't need kernel devtmpfs anymore?

3. To handle hotplug events, ' echo /bin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug '. But I'm not sure which kernel config to enable to make that sysctl knob appear.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM
"Mike Edenfield"

> Walter Dnes wrote:
> The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
> http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
> of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
> Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be

Looks fine in IE/Firefox/Chromium; you shouldn't have any problems with any
browsers since the validation errors are on deprecated attributes that are
still in wide use.

If you really want to fix them so it validates, change:

<a name="foo"> --> <a id="foo">
<ol type="a"> --> <ol style="list-style-type: lower-alpha">

Old 03-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Mick

On Saturday 17 Mar 2012 13:13:25 Mike Edenfield wrote:
> > Walter Dnes wrote:
> > The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
> > http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
> > of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
> > Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
>
> Looks fine in IE/Firefox/Chromium; you shouldn't have any problems with any
> browsers since the validation errors are on deprecated attributes that are
> still in wide use.
>
> If you really want to fix them so it validates, change:
>
> <a name="foo"> --> <a id="foo">
> <ol type="a"> --> <ol style="list-style-type: lower-alpha">

It looks fine in Opera too.

I suggest you add a header on the page same as the page title for your human
visitors.

Also I strongly suggest you take your email address off the page before
spambots harvest it. Instead, replace the link with a mail form page or
popup. Google for a suitable php mail form although there may be JavaScript
forms too that are easy to complete and customise as desired. Contact me off-
line if you can't find what you want.

Thanks for your efforts and please carry on the good work!
Mick

Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 03/17/2012 03:51 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> The page will be permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as
> we find out more about how mdev works.

Unless you want to maintain total control of the data flow I would
suggest turning that page into a new wiki page at
<https://wiki.gentoo.org/> to ease contribution to others and to
increase availability and accessibility of that content.

Best,

Sebastian

Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:37:49PM +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote
> On 03/17/2012 03:51 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > The page will be permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as
> > we find out more about how mdev works.
>
> Unless you want to maintain total control of the data flow I would
> suggest turning that page into a new wiki page at
> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/> to ease contribution to others and to
> increase availability and accessibility of that content.

Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I've never done any
wiki editing/posting, so I'll take a day or 2 to read up on it. The
help page looks rather complex. Or are there any volunteers here who
can copy the contents of the web page to a wiki page? I'll gladly
change my webpage to a pointer to the wiki page.

On a tangent, is that a better tutorial on wiki pages anywhere?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:37:49PM +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote
>> On 03/17/2012 03:51 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>> > The page will be permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as
>> > we find out more about how mdev works.
>>
>> Unless you want to maintain total control of the data flow I would
>> suggest turning that page into a new wiki page at
>> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/> to ease contribution to others and to
>> increase availability and accessibility of that content.
>
> *Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I've never done any
> wiki editing/posting, so I'll take a day or 2 to read up on it. *The
> help page looks rather complex. *Or are there any volunteers here who
> can copy the contents of the web page to a wiki page? *I'll gladly
> change my webpage to a pointer to the wiki page.

First stab: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev

I don't know the Gentoo wiki's style policies, but I do know MediaWiki
reasonably well. I did take license to edit for language/linguistic
style, but not for substantive comment. Please go through and correct
anything that seems broken. It's almost 4:30AM where I am, and I
really ought to be sleeping, so I almost certainly mussed something
up. Pretty sure I switched styles about halfway through, too.

You should find the MediaWiki syntax reasonably accessible; just click
'edit' at the top of the page and compare what the 'raw' form looks
like with what the results look like.

> *On a tangent, is that a better tutorial on wiki pages anywhere?

MediaWiki.org has the best content. Generally, you'd play around in a
sandbox page of your own (on whatever wiki site you have an account
on) to get a feel for things.

--
:wq

Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless you want to maintain total control of the data flow I would
>>> suggest turning that page into a new wiki page at
>>> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/> to ease contribution to others and to
>>> increase availability and accessibility of that content.
>>
>> *Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I've never done any
>> wiki editing/posting, so I'll take a day or 2 to read up on it. *The
>> help page looks rather complex. *Or are there any volunteers here who
>> can copy the contents of the web page to a wiki page? *I'll gladly
>> change my webpage to a pointer to the wiki page.
>
> First stab: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
>
> I don't know the Gentoo wiki's style policies, but I do know MediaWiki
> reasonably well. I did take license to edit for language/linguistic
> style, but not for substantive comment. Please go through and correct
> anything that seems broken. It's almost 4:30AM where I am, and I
> really ought to be sleeping, so I almost certainly mussed something
> up. Pretty sure I switched styles about halfway through, too.
>
> You should find the MediaWiki syntax reasonably accessible; just click
> 'edit' at the top of the page and compare what the 'raw' form looks
> like with what the results look like.
>

>> *On a tangent, is that a better tutorial on wiki pages anywhere?
>
> MediaWiki.org has the best content. Generally, you'd play around in a
> sandbox page of your own (on whatever wiki site you have an account
> on) to get a feel for things.

BTW, where would one go to get involved in organization of the wiki? I
found myself wishing for templates for consistent formatting of things
like files, one-liners and naming of ebuilds, but I don't think I
ought to simply create the templates I'm looking for without talking
with someone first.

--
:wq

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Mar 18, 2012 3:45 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> >> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:37:49PM +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote

> >> *Probably the best thing to do in the long run. I've never done any

> >> wiki editing/posting, so I'll take a day or 2 to read up on it. *The

> >> help page looks rather complex. *Or are there any volunteers here who

> >> can copy the contents of the web page to a wiki page? *I'll gladly

> >> change my webpage to a pointer to the wiki page.

> > First stab: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev

> > I don't know the Gentoo wiki's style policies, but I do know MediaWiki

> > reasonably well. I did take license to edit for language/linguistic

> > style, but not for substantive comment. Please go through and correct

> > anything that seems broken. It's almost 4:30AM where I am, and I

> > really ought to be sleeping, so I almost certainly mussed something

> > up. Pretty sure I switched styles about halfway through, too.

> > You should find the MediaWiki syntax reasonably accessible; just click

> > 'edit' at the top of the page and compare what the 'raw' form looks

> > like with what the results look like.

> >> *On a tangent, is that a better tutorial on wiki pages anywhere?

> > MediaWiki.org has the best content. Generally, you'd play around in a

> > sandbox page of your own (on whatever wiki site you have an account

> > on) to get a feel for things.

> BTW, where would one go to get involved in organization of the wiki? I

> found myself wishing for templates for consistent formatting of things

> like files, one-liners and naming of ebuilds, but I don't think I

> ought to simply create the templates I'm looking for without talking

> with someone first.

I suggest asking in gentoo-project. The Powers That Be™ are obligatory members there...

Rgds,