Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Tamer Higazi

Default gentoo on compiz problems

Hi!
I am running a stable port of gentoo with gnome 2.31.1 and I want to run
compiz.

How do I run compiz proparly?! I am pretty sure, that I do something
wrong. For any advise, I would thank you.

Tamer

When I open gnome-terminal (shell) and run "compiz-manager" I get the
following output:

tamer@office ~ $ compiz-manager
Checking for Xgl: not present.
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 04:00.0 0300: 10de:1244 (rev a1) (prog-if 00
[VGA controller])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
Comparing resolution (1920x1080) to maximum 3D texture size (16384): Passed.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: NVIDIA: could not open the device file
/dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
present.
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Starting emerald
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).

Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Nilesh Govindrajan

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I am running a stable port of gentoo with gnome 2.31.1 and I want to run
> compiz.
>
> How do I run compiz proparly?! I am pretty sure, that I do something
> wrong. For any advise, I would thank you.
>

> Tamer
>

> When I open gnome-terminal (shell) and run "compiz-manager" I get the
> following output:
>

> tamer@office ~ $ compiz-manager
> Checking for Xgl: not present.
> xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> Detected PCI ID for VGA: 04:00.0 0300: 10de:1244 (rev a1) (prog-if 00
> [VGA controller])
> Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
> Checking for non power of two support: present.
> Checking for Composite extension: present.
> NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
> Comparing resolution (1920x1080) to maximum 3D texture size (16384): Passed.
> Checking for nVidia: present.
> Checking for FBConfig: NVIDIA: could not open the device file
> /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
> present.
> Checking for Xgl: not present.
> Starting emerald
> NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).

I think you need to be present in the video group.
Clearly the problem is because access is denied to your video card.
Just ls -l /dev/nvidiactl (you should see group video there) and add
yourself to the group.

gpasswd -a <your username> video

If the group is something else as the ls -l reveals, add yourself to
that group (unless it's root or wheel). If the group is root or wheel,
you need to modify udev/mdev rules which I'm not aware of much.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Tamer Higazi

Hi Nilesh!

Am 16.03.2012 13:49, schrieb Nilesh Govindrajan:
> I think you need to be present in the video group.

I am;

tamer@office ~ $ ls -lA /dev/nvidiactl
crw-rw---- 1 root video 195, 255 16. Mär 17:25 /dev/nvidiactl

> yourself to the group.
>
> gpasswd -a <your username> video

It is. and I still get the same message

NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).

I looked at my xorg.conf and added certain lines:

At Section "ServerLayout" I added:

Option "AIGLX" "true"

At Section "Extensions" I added:
Option "Composite" "Enable"

an t Section "Screen" I added as well:
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

> If the group is something else as the ls -l reveals, add yourself to
> that group (unless it's root or wheel). If the group is root or wheel,
> you need to modify udev/mdev rules which I'm not aware of much.

but always, even if I run compiz-manager as root (sudo compiz-manager),
I receive THIS ERROR:

Checking for Xgl: not present

and I am not getting smart what I did wrong.

xorg was built with these flags:

x11-base/xorg-server-1.11.2-r2 was built with the following:
USE="ipv6 kdrive (multilib) nptl udev xorg -dmx -doc -minimal
-static-libs -tslib -xnest -xvfb"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,lazy"

here is my xorg.xonf.....

http://pastebin.mozilla.org/1522488

Tamer