-   -   mdev: Has anybody managed to get the keyboard and mouse to work under X? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/644796-mdev-has-anybody-managed-get-keyboard-mouse-work-under-x.html)

Pandu Poluan 03-14-2012 11:21 PM

On Mar 15, 2012 3:52 AM, "Alan Mackenzie" <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> Hi, Gentoo.

> As I've said a few times in the current threads, the only thing

> preventing me from moving fully onto mdev is not having a working

> keyboard and mouse (evdev??) under X.

> Has anybody else tried this, and if so, what results have you had?

Alan, could you post your "init" script here?

I just happened upon this:

http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/uclinux-dist/scmsvn/?action="">

and I think the script might need an "mdev -s" line.

Still a conjecture, no guarantees it will work, but if such line does not exist in your "init" script, won't hurt to try...

Rgds,

"Walter Dnes" 03-15-2012 12:16 AM

mdev: Has anybody managed to get the keyboard and mouse to work under X?

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 03:20:48PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote
> Hi, Gentoo.
>
> As I've said a few times in the current threads, the only thing
> preventing me from moving fully onto mdev is not having a working
> keyboard and mouse (evdev??) under X.
>
> Has anybody else tried this, and if so, what results have you had?

I begin my USE variable with "-*" and add only the necessary stuff.
If you want to run X without udev, then compile xorg-server with
"USE=-udev". I don't have evdev installed at all. I've run X without
an xorg.conf. The only reason I have an xorg.conf now is to allow
xrandr to force a weird 1536x864 video mode on my 1920x1080 monitor when
watching one specific website.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Pandu Poluan 03-15-2012 12:24 AM

On Mar 15, 2012 8:19 AM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 03:20:48PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote

> > Hi, Gentoo.

> > As I've said a few times in the current threads, the only thing

> > preventing me from moving fully onto mdev is not having a working

> > keyboard and mouse (evdev??) under X.

> > Has anybody else tried this, and if so, what results have you had?

> *I begin my USE variable with "-*" and add only the necessary stuff.

> If you want to run X without udev, then compile xorg-server with

> "USE=-udev". *I don't have evdev installed at all. *I've run X without

> an xorg.conf. *The only reason I have an xorg.conf now is to allow

> xrandr to force a weird 1536x864 video mode on my 1920x1080 monitor when

> watching one specific website.

Of course, needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), when you re-emerge X, you should re-emerge X drivers.

Rgds,